Men's Short Program Start Order Up | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program Start Order Up

Jasper

Final Flight
This is probably a better position for Jeff, having to skate from behind like at the Olympics. He might just do a better LP now than if he had a lead to choke. But 10 points behind the lead won't be enough for Gold.

Lambiel in the lead with Joubert and Oda as the closest challengers... ? Lambiel wins 2nd Worlds.

Jasper

Final Flight
Oda's consistent and when he lands his jumps, they're by far the best in the competition. No one jumps smoother. Plus, judges seem to love his spins. *shrug*

Saundy

On the Ice
I get the feed live here. I'm in NS. BUT I FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT! I was watching Americal Idol on CTV. lol

I saw half of Jeff's program...glad I didn't see the rest. He fell twice, I missed the first, but the second was a triple lutz. He looked completely crushed when he got off the ice. I think there were tears. Barb was saying that he's been tired all week and trying ti find motivation to go practice. Still tired from the Olys maybe?

rain

Record Breaker
At least Buttle's still in it..... though he has not been skating well here so far and really needs a big LP to move into the medals as I'd love to see him do.

Always possible, of course. Lambiel was looking quite mortal here, though he's still on top with his combined scores. Technical program should rightfully be Joubert's strength - I don't think I've seen him skate a good long all season, so I'm not sure if he'll be able to gain enough for the gold. I will be VERY disappointed if Oda is on the podium. He's a good young skater, but the emphasis is on YOUNG. He is simply not of the calibre of the other skaters in many areas.

Jasper

Final Flight
Saundy said:
I get the feed live here. I'm in NS. BUT I FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT! I was watching Americal Idol on CTV. lol

I saw half of Jeff's program...glad I didn't see the rest. He fell twice, I missed the first, but the second was a triple lutz. He looked completely crushed when he got off the ice. I think there were tears. Barb was saying that he's been tired all week and trying ti find motivation to go practice. Still tired from the Olys maybe?

He only got credited for one fall though.

EvanLysacekFan

On the Ice
Jasper said:
Oda's consistent and when he lands his jumps, they're by far the best in the competition. No one jumps smoother. Plus, judges seem to love his spins. *shrug*

But the stuff in between the jumps means he shouldn't medal.

CDMM1991

Medalist
During Brian's entire program he looked like he had a newfound determination and fire. It made the program come alive much more, though I still think that you couldn't get dorkier choreography than air-fighting, and made the performance overall seem a lot better. His spins seemed really improved too. He must just be one of those skaters that is 10 times better when the jumps are landed.

Bruin714

On the Ice
TES vs. PCS

Jasper said:
Joubert's trite choreography and unoriginal interpretation are better than Weir's elegant choreography and interpretation! Not just that, but also his skating skills, performance, and transitions! Oh lord, the faith we should have in the COP. Bow down to these judges.

Amazing, except for Li who received 33.79 points for PCS, the PCS for the top 8 are extremely close. Ranging from Buttle's high of 38.00 to Lysacek low of 36.25. Everyone body else in the top group placed somewhere in between these two; only a 1.75 difference.

It seems to me that the TES is all that matters then.

Again, with the exception of Li, the placements of the short programs were based on TES. Take a look at top short programs and compare it to their relative TES.

1. Jourbert - 42.88
2. Sandhu - 41.87
3. Oda - 41.09
4. Lambiel - 39.49
5. Weir - 36.85
6. Li - 39.06 (the exception)
7. Buttle - 36.30
8. Lycacek - 34.07

Does PCS matter anymore?

Last edited:
I thought the judges had it just right. Joubert was best, Oda second. Eman would have been #1 without the fall. Lambiel was OK. Weir was OK. Buttle, not his night.

A great night of skating from top to bottom. Li was terrific. (If only he could do something else to go along with his jumps.)

MM :)

Last edited:

Bruin714

On the Ice
#13 Rule

Does the magic #13 rule still apply?

Weir - 6th
Lycacek - 7th
Total placement = 13

If it does, the US men are in danger of losing a third spot for next year's Worlds.

EvanLysacekFan

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I thought the judges had it just right. Joubert was best, Oda second. Eman would have been #1 without the fall. Lambiel was OK. Weir was OK. Buttle, not his night.

A great night of skating from top to bottom. Li was terrific. (If only he could do something else to go along with his jumps.)

MM :)

Really? All the other people I've talked to have said that Sandhu's scores were way too high.

chania36

On the Ice
Hi, I will answer some of the questions people have here because I was lucky to be able to watch it live on tv since I live in Canada and on the east coast. So it was at 8 pm on cbc.

Here for Sandhu, he did a wonderful program, he did a quad-triple to begin with, then he did his triple axel, wow great for him, he misses that jump so many times that I do not even count any more, then he skated with a determination that we did not see him skate with since a long time and then came the triple lutz and he fell, that was his only mistake... He had a standing ovation and great marks and then at that point took the first place after his skate....

For Jeff Buttle, he did not fell twice like someone said here, he had a extra turn on the ice on the triple axel, he started like usually with the combo triple triple which he did very well, but even at the start of this program, on center ice, camera on him before he started skating, one thing I noticed was that he was quite pale and looked to me quite tired and not to say sick... So like I said even the presentation in his case was not like we use to see, it was good but not great, he had to force it, so like I said, he had the combo great, then the triple axel he had an extra turn on the landing but not fall and no hand down, then came the triple lutz and he fell. Even when he started the jump I could say he would fall because he was leaning in the air so on the landing his skate could not stay and slipped and he fell... Although he had those mistake, he semmed very very tied, pale, I think he gave what he had to give, because he looked out of energy, and also they are talking about altitude there in Calgary, so being tired and having that factor maybe this is why... I felt that a lot of skaters looked very tired..even before they started skating... I know that Evan they said that he was sick that he had something with his lungs... so many skaters injured, sick, tired... I wonder if the new COP is not too demanding on someone's body???

also one other thing, almost the last 2 flights of men skated I would say pretty well, Weir was very upset of his marks, I think he did only a triple-double, not sure though, but one thing that strikes me of that guy is that when his marks comes up, he is always mad, or look that way, he got up and left almost in a rage, I just do not like is attitude, other skater do say hi to people and also when they leave the kiss and cry and him we get nothing... I am sorry, it is not personnal but I just cant stand his attitude...

One thing I do not get with the new scoring system, is that even with some fall you can win or have great marks, because now, just like diving, boggus, and other sport with landings, you get a mark for execution of the mouvement an one of the landing, in diving, you get some points for the jump itself and then some other judges gives one mark for the entry in the water.. that I can understand because the jump is different but when you splash the water alot it does not mean that you have missed you dive, but in skating, you can do your jump and fall and still get the marks for the turn in the jump that you got in, that I do not understand, I think that a jump is something that the landing and the jump itself is one thing, not two things, you fell, you missed the whole jump... that is what I think... I believe that this part of the new COP is not fair... so this is why I believe that we see some people falling and some not and still having some high scores, like someone like Jeff Buttle, he tried the quad at Natiaonals, I was there to see it, he fell, but because he did the four revolution, he was rewarded for that but got a deduction because of the fall, the jump was a miss, how can he get the marks, dont get me wrong, I love that skater very very much, he is even better when you see him in person... but it is unfair for someone who has some fall and then someone who has a clean skate and then finish lower then that person who has 2 falls against none... It does not seem fair...

Can someone share their thoughts on that point with me...

I just commented on the two Canadian because they are the one I paid attention to the most and the rest I did not because I taped it and I did too watch American Idol at the same time... But hope this helps about Sandhu and Buttle to know why the marks are what they are.

M

mars

Dont know why some people are hating on Oda. He is a charismatic skater: his jumps looks great in air and he lands them very softly, good fast spin, plus he is very expressive and sells his sp and lp very well. I dont think he is juniorish looking its just a different style. If he learns the quad i think he can contend for gold. But for now i think he could very well earn a silver but mostly likely bronze medal in this competition.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Bruin714 said:
Does the magic #13 rule still apply?

Weir - 6th
Lycacek - 7th
Total placement = 13

If it does, the US men are in danger of losing a third spot for next year's Worlds.
Yes. The total of the top 2 US men must not be more than 13 to send 3 men to next year's worlds, so if Johnny and Evan stay in 6th and 7th respectively that's OK. There are so many scenarios, but as long as the two top US men's finishes (whether it's Johnny and Evan, Johnny and Matt, or Evan and Matt) does not total more than 13 points there will be 3 spots next year.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Jasper

Final Flight
It's not like there's really going to be a good 3rd US skater next year to challenge Weir or Lysacek. Savoie, Weiss, Goebel, and probably Jahnke are all leaving.