MIF tests about to get major overhaul? | Golden Skate

MIF tests about to get major overhaul?

Arwen17

Final Flight
I've been hearing whispers USFSA about to do a major overhaul to the MIF tests? Because American skating skills suck and they want to push Americans to catch up to literally the rest of the world? (Russians, Japanese, Koreans)

I know there was a major overhaul in 2010? I think the tests got harder? So I guess the tests are going to get harder again?

Watch me be finally ready to pass Novice MIF when they decide to change everything drastically. *sigh*

I've heard they're going to rename MIF to "skating skills", that it is possibly going to happen as soon as next year, and that it will be a major reshuffle/revamp of the exercises, not just a renaming.

Anyone heard anything?

Also, why do they constantly change the tests every 10 years or so? What's the point?

mskater93

Record Breaker
I've been hearing whispers USFSA about to do a major overhaul to the MIF tests? Because American skating skills suck and they want to push Americans to catch up to literally the rest of the world? (Russians, Japanese, Koreans)

I know there was a major overhaul in 2010? I think the tests got harder? So I guess the tests are going to get harder again?

Watch me be finally ready to pass Novice MIF when they decide to change everything drastically. *sigh*

I've heard they're going to rename MIF to "skating skills", that it is possibly going to happen as soon as next year, and that it will be a major reshuffle/revamp of the exercises, not just a renaming.

Anyone heard anything?

Also, why do they constantly change the tests every 10 years or so? What's the point?
I have not heard this. They did change about 10 years ago to add some of turns that were overlooked in the old MIF (loops, twizzles) and to add the step sequences at the Junior and Senior levels

christy

On the Ice
I wonder how that will compare to the changes Skate Canada made a few years ago to the skills tests. It seemed like some of the tests got easier, but some got harder and have a lot of elements that have to be passed.

Arwen17

Final Flight
Someone told me UK recently changed their tests too. Maybe Australia is next lol.

Also, going to copy&paste the most informative reply I've gotten so far:

There’s a recording of a webinar that PSA just did about some of the proposed changes for the next few seasons. It’s available for free.

Sounds to me like they’re going to change the names of the tests (Sr=Gold. Jr=Pre-Gold. Down to PreJuv=PreBronze.) and call it “skating skills” instead of MIF.

And change the way the freeskate tests relate to competition level. The freeskate test will be a minimum, instead of a maximum. So you can pass your Sr/Gold freeskate, but still compete at Novice.

Changing the test names un-links them from the competition levels. We all know the requirements for the tests are way different than the requirements for competition already.

I'm super curious what that means for the adult levels. Because you could end up with something bizarre like this:

• Adult Pre-Bronze (pre-pre)
  • Adult Bronze (prelim)
  • Adult Silver (pre-juve)
  • Adult Gold (juve)
  • Adult Pre-Bronze 2nd dose (aka used to be Adult Intermediate)
  • Adult Bronze 2nd dose (aka used to be Adult Novice)
  • Adult Silver 2nd dose (aka used to be Adult Junior)
  • Adult Gold 2nd dose (aka used to be Adult Senior)
I guess they could call it "Masters Pre-Bronze", "Masters Gold" etc..... but I hate that because I associate the world "masters" to mean "old" because they call the age 50+ track "masters".
And I still think that's ultra confusing to repeat the "Pre-Bronze to Gold" naming schema, even if you stick "Adult" or "Masters" on the front to distinguish which one you're talking about. Plus, it's a mouthful. Now when someone says they're still in "Pre-Bronze", we will have to say "Which one? Adult or Masters? And do you mean masters as in age 50+ track or do you actually mean Intermediate MIF?"

But I really like the idea of doing the FS tests that way! There's soooo many kids and adults who want to test higher in FS, but don't want to get trapped competing in a higher level that they're not ready for.... since yes competition is way harder than the equivalent tests.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Oh gosh they really need to add a pre-Silver category for adults. The jump from bronze to silver is HUGE and really discouraging...

Arwen17

Final Flight
Oh gosh they really need to add a pre-Silver category for adults. The jump from bronze to silver is HUGE and really discouraging...

If you're talking about MIF tests,
I found Pre-Bronze and Bronze to both be pretty easy.
Silver was a bit more difficult and took a little more time. Same for Gold.
Intermediate is when it finally got somewhat challenging, just from a quality standpoint.
Novice is HARD. HOLY HELL. WHAT A JUMP in difficulty. I'm getting there, but it's the first test where I couldn't immediately do most of the moves. All of the previous tests, I'm sure it was ugly, but I could do most of it from the beginning and just needed to work hard to improve it. Novice was the first test where you literally can't do a lot of the stuff from the start and have to work up to it.
I'm hoping Junior and Senior won't be as bad, since they aren't as massive of a leap from Novice.
Of course, if they change all of the MIF tests soon, who knows what will happen.

If you're talking about FS tests,
I don't think the difference between Bronze and Silver is huge.
Bronze FS requires 3 different single jumps, such as toe loop, salchow, and loop, and 2 spins, 3 rev min. Step sequence is only half the ice.
Silver FS also requires 3 different single jumps, but you must at least do a loop and a flip. Lutz is still NOT required.
Silver also still requires 2 spins, 3 rev min and the step sequence is still half-ice.
Seriously, Silver and Bronze are the same. You just have to have a flip jump for Silver. That's the only difference.
Now, competition-wise, most Silver skaters have a Lutz and some even have axels. But for just passing the test, you only need a flip.

Adult Gold is the first level that's been challenging because it REQUIRES axel or double toe loop or double salchow. And you have to have THREE spins, instead of two spins, and the spins have to have a 4 revolution minimum and have to be totally clean, legal positions. Silver and below only require the spins to be "recognizable" positions, not clean positions.
And the step sequence in Adult Gold uses FULL ice, not half the ice.

I see the next big jump in difficulty at the Novice level, because that's the first time skaters have to do a double-double combo jump.
On the Senior test, they have to do TWO double-double combo jumps.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Intermediate is when it finally got somewhat challenging, just from a quality standpoint.
Novice is HARD. HOLY HELL. WHAT A JUMP in difficulty. I'm getting there, but it's the first test where I couldn't immediately do most of the moves. All of the previous tests, I'm sure it was ugly, but I could do most of it from the beginning and just needed to work hard to improve it. Novice was the first test where you literally can't do a lot of the stuff from the start and have to work up to it.
I'm hoping Junior and Senior won't be as bad, since they aren't as massive of a leap from Novice.
Of course, if they change all of the MIF tests soon, who knows what will happen.

Bronze FS requires 3 different single jumps, such as toe loop, salchow, and loop, and 2 spins, 3 rev min. Step sequence is only half the ice.
Silver FS also requires 3 different single jumps, but you must at least do a loop and a flip. Lutz is still NOT required.
Silver also still requires 2 spins, 3 rev min and the step sequence is still half-ice.
Seriously, Silver and Bronze are the same. You just have to have a flip jump for Silver. That's the only difference.
Now, competition-wise, most Silver skaters have a Lutz and some even have axels. But for just passing the test, you only need a flip.

Adult Gold is the first level that's been challenging because it REQUIRES axel or double toe loop or double salchow. And you have to have THREE spins, instead of two spins, and the spins have to have a 4 revolution minimum and have to be totally clean, legal positions. Silver and below only require the spins to be "recognizable" positions, not clean positions.

I see the next big jump in difficulty at the Novice level, because that's the first time skaters have to do a double-double combo jump.
Yeah I was talking about the MIF tests... but interesting about the free skate tests. Not quite there yet--plan to stay in Bronze for a bit.

mskater93

Record Breaker

If you take your adult Gold via test refresh, you don't need an Axel/2S/2T. You need a minimum score and no dashes.

gkelly

Record Breaker
If you take your adult Gold via test refresh, you don't need an Axel/2S/2T. You need a minimum score and no dashes.
Via protocol approval, from a program skated in competition.

"test refresh" referred to more than just that option.

Arwen17

Final Flight

Woah, didn't know you could do something like that. Feels like cheating. I don't feel like I deserve to pass Adult Gold until I have a real axel.... even though I really want that 2nd label on my Gold Medalist jacket.

Could a skater theoretically do this for Intermediate FS and higher? Or at some point do you have to finally land jumps because you won't be able to squeeze enough points out of the spins/footwork to bypass axel and higher jumps?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Woah, didn't know you could do something like that. Feels like cheating. I don't feel like I deserve to pass Adult Gold until I have a real axel.... even though I really want that 2nd label on my Gold Medalist jacket.

Could a skater theoretically do this for Intermediate FS and higher? Or at some point do you have to finally land jumps because you won't be able to squeeze enough points out of the spins/footwork to bypass axel and higher jumps?
You will need to look at the technical element minimums required to figure out what you can squeeze in Technical Elements

gkelly

Record Breaker
Also, to compete in a standard Intermediate competition, you need to be under 18.

However, I believe that the Excel requirements are being tweaked so that it is now or soon will be possible to to use an IJS Excel Intermediate or Intermediate Plus freeskate competition protocol to meet the Intermediate test requirements.

For Novice through Senior competition, there are no age limits. But executing the elements to meet the minimum technical scores and avoid any asterisks/dashes on elements that don't count is that much harder at higher levels.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, to compete in a standard Intermediate competition, you need to be under 18.

However, I believe that the Excel requirements are being tweaked so that it is now or soon will be possible to to use an IJS Excel Intermediate or Intermediate Plus freeskate competition protocol to meet the Intermediate test requirements.

For Novice through Senior competition, there are no age limits. But executing the elements to meet the minimum technical scores and avoid any asterisks/dashes on elements that don't count is that much harder at higher levels.
There are protocol submit scores for Masters Intermediate, Novice, Junior and Senior also

celia

Rinkside
As of yesterday, the below passed at the USFS Governing Council. Regarding the MIF changes it looks like they are NOT changing the patterns. But they are renaming MIF to "Skating Skills," and renaming the standard track levels. The adult track MIF/Skating Skills remains unchanged (for now). The below will take until July 2023 to take effect.
  • The nomenclature of “pre-juvenile – senior” was amended to “pre-bronze – gold” in skating skills (moves in the field), singles (free skate), free dance and pairs tests.
  • The restrictions capping the highest singles, pairs and ice dance tests competitors may have passed to compete in a corresponding level were removed.

Also, this helpful video breaks it down.
https://youtu.be/C-qwJj1hPfQ

For instance, Standard Track Intermediate MIF will now be Standard Track Pre-Silver Skating Skills.
I think this is a mess, and while I get that most kids may support this (so they don't have to tell non-skaters they are high level "Novice" skaters), I think it really confuses the adult levels, especially if one "graduates" from Adult Gold to Standard Pre-Silver (but then, say, tests it Adult 21+).

celia

Rinkside
I guess they could call it "Masters Pre-Bronze", "Masters Gold" etc..... but I hate that because I associate the world "masters" to mean "old" because they call the age 50+ track "masters".
And I still think that's ultra confusing to repeat the "Pre-Bronze to Gold" naming schema, even if you stick "Adult" or "Masters" on the front to distinguish which one you're talking about. Plus, it's a mouthful. Now when someone says they're still in "Pre-Bronze", we will have to say "Which one? Adult or Masters? And do you mean masters as in age 50+ track or do you actually mean Intermediate MIF?"
Actually they eliminated the use of "Masters" to mean 50+ a few years ago, because it DID create confusion. 50+ is just called 50+. Masters means an adult (of 21+) competing at the standard track Intermediate - Senior levels. For instance going to adult nationals and competing "Masters Intermediate/Novice."
And yes, having two levels of bronze with completely different patterns (one Standard and one Adult) will be very confusing, and annoying.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
As of yesterday, the below passed at the USFS Governing Council. Regarding the MIF changes it looks like they are NOT changing the patterns. But they are renaming MIF to "Skating Skills," and renaming the standard track levels. The adult track MIF/Skating Skills remains unchanged (for now). The below will take until July 2023 to take effect.
  • The nomenclature of “pre-juvenile – senior” was amended to “pre-bronze – gold” in skating skills (moves in the field), singles (free skate), free dance and pairs tests.
  • The restrictions capping the highest singles, pairs and ice dance tests competitors may have passed to compete in a corresponding level were removed.

Also, this helpful video breaks it down.
https://youtu.be/C-qwJj1hPfQ

For instance, Standard Track Intermediate MIF will now be Standard Track Pre-Silver Skating Skills.
I think this is a mess, and while I get that most kids may support this (so they don't have to tell non-skaters they are high level "Novice" skaters), I think it really confuses the adult levels, especially if one "graduates" from Adult Gold to Standard Pre-Silver (but then, say, tests it Adult 21+).
This is nonsensical to me. If they wanted to change the patterns that would be fine but what’s the point of changing the names and then having the same names for adults but having them not correspond. As an adult testing standard this is just confusing for no reason.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
If they're making the change, best of luck to you. Skate Canada finished overhauling their entire program (from learn to skate up) just before COVID with mixed results. Our skills are now made a semi-return to figures, and while there are a few good things about the new ones, I am not a fan. It now takes forever to get skaters to connect turns together. Everything is in isolation and the current gold level is a huge drop in what's required from when I had to do it.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
If they're making the change, best of luck to you. Skate Canada finished overhauling their entire program (from learn to skate up) just before COVID with mixed results. Our skills are now made a semi-return to figures, and while there are a few good things about the new ones, I am not a fan. It now takes forever to get skaters to connect turns together. Everything is in isolation and the current gold level is a huge drop in what's required from when I had to do it.
I feel a bit envious... After moving to Canada I managed to get a few levels in before Starskate got redesigned, and vaguely remember being shown a Junior Silver exercise which went on seemingly forever (which I thought was fun, because it flowed - the new stuff seems more static in contrast).

I can do counters and rockers in the slow figure-like way required for the current tests (Star 7/8 I think), but not sure how helpful that is in terms of learning to apply them e.g. in step sequences and transitions. I'm alright with turns that appear in pattern dances (up to Star 9/10 or the old Gold), maybe because they tend to be on my 'good' side/direction. However, I wish there were more of a freestyle-ish way of practicing all the types of turns on both sides... Should I ask my coaches to teach the old syllabus? Get them to make up more of their own stroking/footwork exercises?