Mikhail Kolyada | Page 213 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think Misha kind of defies expectations and it's hard to compare his success to someone else, he proves again and again that we can't really expect the same results from different people. I'm fine with his current situation, to be quite honest, we'd have a better idea of his form if he weren't so unstable, so maybe next season we can see where he managed to improve from the Olympic season. He could very well stay with his quad toes and fight for a top 5 finish at most, but it's clear he won't be happy with that. With more guys doing more quads, he needs his best jumps to work, especially if he doesn't want to keep those iffy layouts he had this year.

The problem with staying with his two 4Ts in LP is that it limits terribly the rest of the layout - the result we saw in Saitama even with excellently skated program he was not scoring well. I am all for them bringing back 4lz provided:
1) no 4Lz in SP
2) in LP it won't be the first jump but will follow more reliable 4T or even better 3A
3) the fall on it won't affect him mentally i.e. he will be able to skate the rest of the program
4) last but not the least - not at the expense of his chronic back problem

Tutto

Record Breaker
Glad to hear Misha bring back the 4Lz, too. But Misha needs precise jump techniques help. The nerve does affect whether or not the jump succeed in competition. However, I think the success rate of quads in practice affects more. It even affects the nerve in the competition. Misha can be more confident if he has "really" consisitent 4lz in practice.

I'd say a confident Mika can make a better use of his excellent technique, he's got the jump we all saw it, I'd say the lack of confidence is more of a problem than technique per se.
However I don't believe his 4lz will ever be very consistent even if he manages to learn how to control his nerves better due to its enormous height and quality (many jump 4lz nowadays but how many actually complete 4 revolutions in the air?)

Tutto

Record Breaker
I can understand why he wants to keep the costume... It's really a very nice costume !

We don't know yet if he is going to
It is really a very well made costume, I enjoyed looking at it and taking in all the small details, the quality of the material and such (my Mum worked for a fashion house all her life so I am very partial to a good item like this) kudos again to his dress maker, however I wonder if it is a bit too heavy and loose for jumping? And of course the lovely top hat will have to go :sad21:
Really the good sense would be to keep Chaplin as an EX program but ohh it is what it is

Tutto

Record Breaker
I was hoping Misha would change coaches, because sometimes it is good to leave your comfort zone and have a "fresh" start. On the other hand of course, there are skaters who stayed with their coach their whole career and it didn't hurt them - Irina Slutskaya as mentioned and I also remember Brian Boitano. Interestingly enough, their coaches never had any other students that had the same level of success before or after.
I don't think that Valentina Chebotareva is a bad coach, but as others said Misha is her first student at this level and it is really a different story when you are competing for the World and/or European podium. I sometimes feel she is lacking confidence and that translates to her top students, Misha and Stasia, who both struggle with nerves in competition.

I don't mind Misha doing a Charlie Chaplin program. I think this will suit him very well, it is something he feels comfortable with and he enjoys. I also liked this gala program. But isn't it funny that he keeps saying he doesn't want to skate to "overused music" and then picks "Carmen" and now "Charlie Chaplin"? :laugh: I also thought it was funny that he now chose to announce the music early, so nobody else would pick it. When I met him last year in May, he revealed his free skating music to me, but I had to promise I wouldn't publish it anywhere. And I actually said, why keeping it secret, and not announcing it so others don't take the same music? We all know what happened ... (and Misha even for exact that reason announced the music now). :)

Also Ravi Walia & Kaetlyn come to mind, it did Kaetlyn no harm to stay with him all her skating career (past tense to be used how sad!)

I guess Mika wisely decided that another Chaplin will be lethal to us and the judges, also to discourage Keegan from keeping Chaplin for the third season in a row :laugh:

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
:bang:
Obvs I am not happy with the music choice. I wish it were just for the short program. I’m glad he had to lose the hat for competition. It really wasn’t a proper bowler hat and was too small on him. I suppose if it puts him in a good headspace, that’s good. But oof.

I’m also not happy about no coaching changes. But I’m getting close to the “whatever” stage.

I *am* happy with the decision to put the 4Lz back in. Yes, it is so big it is harder to control, but it is the only news that is somewhat exciting, at least.

riottegirllina

Rinkside
Glad that he is recovering well and he's going to train somewhere with fresh air and clean water :)
IMHO I think his new Chaplin program is going to be somewhat different from our expectation. The word "Lyrical" in the interview kind of hints that it is going to be different from his Gala program? haha.

I also like the fact that he is continuously working with Coach Valentina C. and Olga Zotova. They are a great team and I think Misha can continuously work in a comfortable and stable environment. The coach knows him well and Misha knows the coach well, too. I've seen too many coaches with big mouth or coaches that give in to media or even commentators. Coach Valentina, OTOH, doesn't seem to be like one. With Rus media going crazy over Mikhail (last season), it is better to have a coach that seeks less media attention, in my opinion.

I think I am going to support whatever decision Misha will make.
Wonder what his SP will be, though.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Valentina seems to be positively hiding from the media rather than just not seeking attention. She used to give interviews, but not for 1.5 years now. I can understand why it annoys people because it comes across as if she is afraid to face difficult questions. And we really have zero idea about what is going on in the team and can only speculate.

Tatjana

On the Ice
Valentina seems to be positively hiding from the media rather than just not seeking attention. She used to give interviews, but not for 1.5 years now. I can understand why it annoys people because it comes across as if she is afraid to face difficult questions. And we really have zero idea about what is going on in the team and can only speculate.

Honestly, I can see why Valentina Chebotareva is not keen on giving interviews. One thing is probably her personality (not a spotlight person), but then she's probably fed up with getting the same questions again and again: why are her students so inconsistent? Or questions implying that she and her team are incompetent, because the skaters are inconsistent. And what can she possibly say other than what has been said?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think the biggest problem is that she's not keen on shifting the spotlight to some other issue or subject, like instead of answering about the problems they face, she could talk about their training methods and how much work they put into preparing the skaters. But then, it's not like she's obligated to do that just to give the reporters some answers. I'm the type of person who would probably do the same as she does, stand back and try to work the hardest I can to get better.

Tutto

Record Breaker

Honestly, I can see why Valentina Chebotareva is not keen on giving interviews. One thing is probably her personality (not a spotlight person), but then she's probably fed up with getting the same questions again and again: why are her students so inconsistent? Or questions implying that she and her team are incompetent, because the skaters are inconsistent. And what can she possibly say other than what has been said?

I think the biggest problem is that she's not keen on shifting the spotlight to some other issue or subject, like instead of answering about the problems they face, she could talk about their training methods and how much work they put into preparing the skaters. But then, it's not like she's obligated to do that just to give the reporters some answers. I'm the type of person who would probably do the same as she does, stand back and try to work the hardest I can to get better.

Frankly I am fed up with her silence whatever her reasons for keeping it are - to put it simply, Mika has been in the firing line ever since the Olympics
I bet he likes no more than Valentina to be in that position but someone has to deal with media and answer those questions again and again. She could take some 'fire' on herself instead of hiding behind him.
Apart from that I am just interested to hear her side of what's have been happening this past season like we used to e.g. Mikhail Semenenok was listed as his second coach - has he taken on more than of-ice training as before or it was just a formality, things like that

Tutto

Record Breaker
World Standings have been updated - surprisingly Mika moved up to third after Nathan & Shoma - well done! :hap10:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hi guys!:) While I, too, wish Misha had chosen something different for his FS, do you remember the collective groan when he announced Carmen for last season (including from me) ;)? But his rendition of it turned out to be beautiful, uniquely suited to him, and very well-received. I think (hope) his team can achieve the same with Chaplin. I agree with riottegirllina that it will probably be different from his exhibition, and I’m intrigued with the possibility of an original musical arrangement, which he alluded to in his interview. I’m looking forward to his SP music choice! I did send some suggestions per the invitation, but deciding what to suggest made me realize just how complex and difficult it must be to choose music that’s suitable for competitive programs, as it’s not just a matter of skating to your favorite music. Regarding his coaching team, I can understand his staying with Valentina. She has instilled such wonderful qualities in his skating, and I hope she finds ways to adjust her training to achieve consistency for Misha (and Stasya). In an ideal world, Raf would have been in close enough proximity for Misha to work with him semi-regularly, while still staying with his home team, but that’s obviously not the case. I’m wondering whether he’s going to work with Raf again in CA this summer, though that seems doubtful since he didn’t mention it, and it may not even have been an option in terms of funding.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Hi guys!:) While I, too, wish Misha had chosen something different for his FS, do you remember the collective groan when he announced Carmen for last season (including from me) ;)? But his rendition of it turned out to be beautiful, uniquely suited to him, and very well-received. I think (hope) his team can achieve the same with Chaplin. I agree with riottegirllina that it will probably be different from his exhibition, and I’m intrigued with the possibility of an original musical arrangement, which he alluded to in his interview. I’m looking forward to his SP music choice! I did send some suggestions per the invitation, but deciding what to suggest made me realize just how complex and difficult it must be to choose music that’s suitable for competitive programs, as it’s not just a matter of skating to your favorite music. Regarding his coaching team, I can understand his staying with Valentina. She has instilled such wonderful qualities in his skating, and I hope she finds ways to adjust her training to achieve consistency for Misha (and Stasya). In an ideal world, Raf would have been in close enough proximity for Misha to work with him semi-regularly, while still staying with his home team, but that’s obviously not the case. I’m wondering whether he’s going to work with Raf again in CA this summer, though that seems doubtful since he didn’t mention it, and it may not even have been an option in terms of funding.

Heleng, your thoughtful post as usual left me with little to add ;):)
I agree that we all might change our minds when we see the program [Chaplin] I am sure Mika will make it unique but I still can't help lamenting that there are tons of unused music he could make his own without inviting comparisons with previous versions. I did send a few suggestions too and like yourself I realised in a process that it a way more difficult than I thought originally - you need some change of tempo some suitable moments to fit elements - I think spins are in particular hard etc etc. On other hand some music seemed to me impossible to use in FS but it was done before - e.g. Arvo Part's - Spiegel im Spiegel. Many skaters in recent times skated to a one note, nondescript music and got away with it...
My main concern is that it will be similar to his Cirque Du Soleil program (which IMHO was the absolutely worst program of his). I would never ever have chosen those music cuts and that choreo but he & Olga obviously loved it. As I said many times before - I like Olga's choreo but I don't like their music choices. So far his best program is Muse chosen & choreo-d by Stephane in its entirety, it stands out and I wish oh I wish they would let someone else to pick up music for them.
I doubt there would be any further internships with Raf this summer and funding might not be the only reason. Considering his illness it would make sense to scale down all trips & activities.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks Tutto :) Yeah, let’s hope at least that there isn’t another Chaplin program this season to invite comparisons like there was when he did Elvis. Regardless of his music choices, I think it’s admirable that Misha makes an effort to change things up from season to season and try different/contrasting styles from what he’s already done. (BTW, it’s interesting/funny that you like his Muse program best even though the music is by a rock band :biggrin:)

Tutto

Record Breaker
Thanks Tutto :) Yeah, let’s hope at least that there isn’t another Chaplin program this season to invite comparisons like there was when he did Elvis. Regardless of his music choices, I think it’s admirable that Misha makes an effort to change things up from season to season and try different/contrasting styles from what he’s already done. (BTW, it’s interesting/funny that you like his Muse program best even though the music is by a rock band :biggrin:)

Yeah, I know- I am no more consistent with my musical tastes then Mika with his 4Lz ha ha...
To be fair, he hasn't given me much choice so far where classical music is concerned- the sublime 23rd concerto paired with tango (!) (never ever I forgive Olga for that!)? or overused ad nauseam Carmen (which happen to be the only opera I actively dislike - don't know why I just do) and Baba Yaga Ex - okay Mussorgsky I wholeheartedly approve.
To think about it I actually liked many rock music programs - Black Betty is one of my favourites of all Javi's programs and Shoma's Sacred Spirit's too. One can dislike the music per se and admire the program if it is done well - FS has been broadening my horizons that's for sure albeit often against my will! As regards his Muse I feel it is such a perfect piece - it has practically everything in it - change of tempo, mood, it is compelling & intriguing... I find it the shortest 'short program' ever - it is just flying and you left wanting more - anyone else has same feeling or I am going mad quietly?
By the way I was thinking that if Mika has to 'copy' Javi he could use Figaro instead of Chaplin - light & comical but not so overused (he could use Mozart's Marriage of Figaro instead of Rossini's)
My take is that he is not as much trying to show his versatility as to find something he is really comfortable with (understandably). I still believe Chaplin be better left as an Ex but if he proves me wrong (again) I will be only too happy to admit it

As an idea after we know his music for both programs lets share what we did send to him and make a list of 'rejections' - could be fun :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah, I know- I am no more consistent with my musical tastes then Mika with his 4Lz ha ha...
To be fair, he hasn't given me much choice so far where classical music is concerned- the sublime 23rd concerto paired with tango (!) (never ever I forgive Olga for that!)? or overused ad nauseam Carmen (which happen to be the only opera I actively dislike - don't know why I just do) and Baba Yaga Ex - okay Mussorgsky I wholeheartedly approve.
To think about it I actually liked many rock music programs - Black Betty is one of my favourites of all Javi's programs and Shoma's Sacred Spirit's too. One can dislike the music per se and admire the program if it is done well - FS has been broadening my horizons that's for sure albeit often against my will! As regards his Muse I feel it is such a perfect piece - it has practically everything in it - change of tempo, mood, it is compelling & intriguing... I find it the shortest 'short program' ever - it is just flying and you left wanting more - anyone else has same feeling or I am going mad quietly?
By the way I was thinking that if Mika has to 'copy' Javi he could use Figaro instead of Chaplin - light & comical but not so overused (he could use Mozart's Marriage of Figaro instead of Rossini's)
My take is that he is not as much trying to show his versatility as to find something he is really comfortable with (understandably). I still believe Chaplin be better left as an Ex but if he proves me wrong (again) I will be only too happy to admit it

As an idea after we know his music for both programs lets share what we did send to him and make a list of 'rejections' - could be fun :)

I like it

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I like that song! And I'm happy for him, hopefully he can have a good year. Also, props to Misha for completely hiding a relationship from the internet. And people had the gall to say he was unfocused. :agree:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just saw the "I have a bride" Instagram post. Congratulations and best wishes to him and his bride!

Flyflybutterfly

Rinkside
I like that song! And I'm happy for him, hopefully he can have a good year. Also, props to Misha for completely hiding a relationship from the internet. And people had the gall to say he was unfocused. :agree:

Hello everybody,

Totally agree with you Coldblueyes, I just have read this news and Wow! I have too say that I’m surprised but very,very happy for him. Congratulations! My best wishes to them! I can not help thinking who should be the lucky bride. Also happy he is fine with his health.
I wish he could have a great new season and he could find the confidence and strenght to skate beautiful and clean. I like both music choices. So we need to have a lilttle more patience during these three months.