Mikhail Kolyada | Page 245 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I think it has been discussed in the Russian men thread a while ago but I wanted to ask you your opinion here... Is it set in stone that Misha will end his career this year ??? It seems to me that his gradual improvemnts, like landing successfully 2 quad Sal at the Russian Championships, are the sign that his path to success is very much a work in progress. It feels to me it would be weird to stop everything in 4 months time...
I don't see him going another olympic cycle, but I see him working to challenge for a european/world championship over next couple years.
Or maybe bringing 4Lz back in and trying to push to his limit

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice

Tutto

Record Breaker
It is heart-breaking... I have no words ... just weeping quietly
To earn his place at GP Final only that to be cancelled, now the injury before Euros when the title was his to lose.
The pragmatic in me tells me that the Oly is way more important but...
I don't know if I would watch Mens SP tomorrow at all
Mika, just sending you my best wishes for speediest recovery, all will be well! :pray::ghug:

Tutto

Record Breaker

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I hope Mishin is just protecting kolyada before olympics.
This is good for him - he needs rest and focus for olympics. Europeans was the last thing he needed.
Having an injury is bad - but I don't think it's serious.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I hope Mishin is just protecting kolyada before olympics.
This is good for him - he needs rest and focus for olympics. Europeans was the last thing he needed.
Having an injury is bad - but I don't think it's serious.
I doubt it very much - protecting him, if anything he needed more competitions before Olympics.
The injury itself may not be serious, but it is his landing foot and also if I am not mistaken the leg he broke in 2014.
If all three Russian guys medal at Euros I think it is very likely the champion will be in the team event and Mika pushed aside - the scenario a few days ago I would have laughed at.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I doubt it very much - protecting him, if anything he needed more competitions before Olympics.
The injury itself may not be serious, but it is his landing foot and also if I am not mistaken the leg he broke in 2014.
If all three Russian guys medal at Euros I think it is very likely the champion will be in the team event and Mika pushed aside - the scenario a few days ago I would have laughed at.
Withdrawing from europeans was sensible from my point of view - Bejing requires Negative PCR tests, that can show covid infection weeks after being infected by Covid-19 - and could cost training time reguardless. Secondly, failing to succeed at europeans (in a strong Russian field) could have hugely damaged his confidence. Thirdly, he has competed at many competitions recently, and thus is likely fatigued. Finally, he could have a niggle (I think twisted ankle is latest information) that could become a full blown injury, and was just precautionary withdrawn from europeans.

Given that he is the only skater able to compete for the podium on a good day, I'd have hin as a lock on the Olympic team. Whilst on a personal level, I'm sad I won't get to see his programs - I feel like it is not a bad decision on his part or a bad injury.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Withdrawing from europeans was sensible from my point of view - Bejing requires Negative PCR tests, that can show covid infection weeks after being infected by Covid-19 - and could cost training time reguardless. Secondly, failing to succeed at europeans (in a strong Russian field) could have hugely damaged his confidence. Thirdly, he has competed at many competitions recently, and thus is likely fatigued. Finally, he could have a niggle (I think twisted ankle is latest information) that could become a full blown injury, and was just precautionary withdrawn from europeans.

Given that he is the only skater able to compete for the podium on a good day, I'd have hin as a lock on the Olympic team. Whilst on a personal level, I'm sad I won't get to see his programs - I feel like it is not a bad decision on his part or a bad injury.
As the silver medallist at RN he SHOULD be a lock on the Oly team, Andrey vs Evgeny would decide the third spot which was earned by Mika & Evgeny at Worlds and confirmed by Mark at Nebelhorn.
The big question though is who will be picked for the Team event where the gold for Russia is almost guaranteed this time.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
When do they announce the Russian Oly team?
Replying to my own comment, but perhaps someone can explain this to me. I just saw on Reddit that RussFed coaches team have decided not to put Kolyada in team event. Does this mean he skates in Olys but not just in the short or long team event? I don’t know how I feel. I don’t want what happened in PyeongChang to repeat. But then again it would take a lot of pressure off. Best case would be he skates and does amazing and redeems himself but not that confident that will happen. Seems like Russia cares more about these team events than other countries. Also I had read earlier that they would be meeting in Moscow on January 20 and discuss who will going to the Olympics. But the teams will be determined last minute. These are two conflicting pieces of news.

As long as I get to see him skate his White Crow at the Olys. Any other possibility would be awful.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Replying to my own comment, but perhaps someone can explain this to me. I just saw on Reddit that RussFed coaches team have decided not to put Kolyada in team event. Does this mean he skates in Olys but not just in the short or long team event? I don’t know how I feel. I don’t want what happened in PyeongChang to repeat. But then again it would take a lot of pressure off. Best case would be he skates and does amazing and redeems himself but not that confident that will happen. Seems like Russia cares more about these team events than other countries. Also I had read earlier that they would be meeting in Moscow on January 20 and discuss who will going to the Olympics. But the teams will be determined last minute. These are two conflicting pieces of news.

As long as I get to see him skate his White Crow at the Olys. Any other possibility would be awful.
TBH I think Kolyada doing a 1 quad sp would be a good idea. None of the other skaters are gonna beat the US sp man (Assuming it's nathan or vincent), but a clean Kolyada 1 quad sp would put him into 2nd (or 1st depending on how the others perform).

vorravorra

Record Breaker

Misha is going to the Olympics (unless he doesn't recover in time I guess). But they are going to decide between Mozalev and Semenenko at the last moment (poor guys). They also haven't decided on the team event but the coaches' council voted against him.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
TBH I think Kolyada doing a 1 quad sp would be a good idea. None of the other skaters are gonna beat the US sp man (Assuming it's nathan or vincent), but a clean Kolyada 1 quad sp would put him into 2nd (or 1st depending on how the others perform).
Curious. What about Hanyu and Shoma? I put them over Kolyada easily. My ideal podium would be Shoma, Kolyada, and Yuzu. (I know, dream on.) I like Nathan, but being in the US I’m tired of the coverage on him, so I a one-woman backlash. My family roots for only Americans because they

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Curious. What about Hanyu and Shoma? I put them over Kolyada easily. My ideal podium would be Shoma, Kolyada, and Yuzu. (I know, dream on.) I like Nathan, but being in the US I’m tired of the coverage on him, so I a one-woman backlash. My family roots for only Americans because they
I don't see Japan as a threat for team event due to the other categories. Placing as close to US is most important (although I guess they can take points off the others).
Hanyu, Nathan and Shoma clean aren't touchable for Mark Kondratyuk. Doing 2 quads with Mikhail would be risky, so 1 quad for me is ideal for team event with him.