Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

andromache

Record Breaker
I would say that Mirai and Karen and Bradie all gave some context -- but not "blame" -- by referencing unfortunate circumstances that were out of their control.

After the FS, Karen did mention her boot problems (in the same breath that she said, "no excuses").

After the SP, Bradie did comment on being the first to skate:

... "Going first in the entire group is not ideal," Tennell said. "The energy is a little more dead. Nobody likes to be the first one out there, right?" ...

(Sorry that I have no knowledge one way or the other re any comments from Daleman to the media.
It's hard enough for me to try to keep tabs on the U.S. ladies.)

I think the difference here with Mirai as compared to Bradie and Karen is that Bradie and Karen expressed disappointment for their poor performances while contextualizing them, whereas Mirai did not.

mintx

On the Ice
I was not impressed with any of the US ladies in their media, especially Marai. Bradie said she couldn't have asked for more from her Olympic expirence. I get that she's pleased to be in the Olympics but i would have liked her to show say she expected more from herself.

Marai came across as whiny, complaining that the rest of the team got to go out and she had to go to bed at 8. Someone has to go last. She asked the Today anchors to put in a good word for her at DWTS, they reminded her it was on another network. If you think you are "auditioning" for a show, at least know what network it's on. She also complained that she never had hot water for showers, is not something she needed to say to the press.

Our ladies should not be satisfied with their performances. Showing up and having fun while falling in most of your programs and saying you're happy about it bothers me from our best athletes. jarai is 24, she needs to show some maturity.

andromache

Record Breaker
It’s true. A year ago, people believed she would underrotate all of her jumps at every competition. This Olympics she fell on one 3A and popped two jumps. It was remarkable.

Agree. I'm more optimistic about Mirai than ever. Fingers crossed she can re-focus and skate at Worlds like she did at the team event and build on this success for the GP series next season.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I would say that Mirai and Karen and Bradie all gave some context -- but not "blame" -- by referencing unfortunate circumstances that were out of their control.

After the FS, Karen did mention her boot problems (in the same breath that she said, "no excuses").

After the SP, Bradie did comment on being the first to skate:

... "Going first in the entire group is not ideal," Tennell said. "The energy is a little more dead. Nobody likes to be the first one out there, right?" ...

(Sorry that I have no knowledge one way or the other re any comments from Daleman to the media.
It's hard enough for me to try to keep tabs on the U.S. ladies.)

I think (1) these are unique physical problems for both Karen and Bradie unlike ice ruts (2) they admit they performed poorly, they don't go on to mention in their minds they skated their best (3) they didn't in any way mention fellow skaters (4) they didn't complain about their situation.....because like Satoko said, she is simply grateful to have had this amazing experience of representing her country at the OG.

Daleman apologized for her meltdown and to her family...honestly doesn't deserve to hear it from any other source how sh*** she performed. It's not just how one speaks one's mind, but having an awareness of what fellow skaters, eg. a gutted Daleman, devastated Nathan, might feel.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Mirai was just acting casually, which some people like and some dislike. She delivered the skate of her life in the team, and had every reason to smile once things didn't go her way in the free; she skated liberated, and for herself. Not for you. She owes none of you anything. And her 3A in the team was one of the top 3 moments of these games and will never be forgotten. It's not like she gave up; rather, she was at peace with her olympics and took everything with ease. She skated her life out to get to these games and appreciated them for all they were worth.

Mods, please change this title: It should read "Nagasu interview criticized by some"

I think even Michelle looked more gutted losing to Tara than Med did here.

I think in both cases the main emotion was relief and release of the unrelenting tension that they had lived with for months if not years. Michelle said afterward that she got over the loss quickly because she had prepared her best and skated her best. (Unlike 2002 where Michelle did not skate her best and it still bothered her years later.)

Evgenia put her heart and soul into a perfect performance. She can't control the judges, but she controlled her own performance. Who can blame her for being overcome with the intensity of her emotions?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mirai was just acting casually, which some people like and some dislike. She delivered the skate of her life in the team, and had every reason to smile once things didn't go her way in the free; she skated liberated, and for herself. Not for you. She owes none of you anything. And her 3A in the team was one of the top 3 moments of these games and will never be forgotten. It's not like she gave up; rather, she was at peace with her olympics and took everything with ease. She skated her life out to get to these games and appreciated them for all they were worth.

Mods, please change this title: It should read "Nagasu interview criticized by some"

ITA. Thanks for your comments.

pearly

Record Breaker
To me, Mirai has always come off as being a little bit scatterbrained. I agree: so what?

There are a few skaters who always present themselves with assurance and aplomb (Evgenia Medvedeva, Yuna Kim), and good for them. They have a separate talent on top of their skating ability. They will go far in life.

As for the Daleman remarks, Mirai may have spoken clumsily, but her point was not insulting to Gabby. The question was, why do you fall down so much, and Mirai's answer was, everybody can have a bad day, even a great skater and podium contender like Daleman.

I like the wording you used.

I think the difference between Adam saying things he says and Mirai using his words and not getting away with it is charisma and nuanced humor. Adam has it. And let me stop you right there before anyone jumps at my throat to accuse me of being sexist. Nothing to do with that.

millie

Medalist
I am not going to put down the American girls for not doing so well in this Olympics. It was only a few years back that the Canadians had a dry spell and with Kaetlyn and Also Gabby up to this point, we did well. It’s like any sport in the Olympics. Every sport has its day or every dog has its day. For example, just look at the 🏅 medal count so far in this Olympics, USA and Canada has done pretty good. OAR not so good. Let’s give these girls a break, figure skating is no cake walk...

qwertyskates

Medalist
I think in both cases the main emotion was relief and release of the unrelenting tension that they had lived with for months if not years. Michelle said afterward that she got over the loss quickly because she had prepared her best and skated her best. (Unlike 2002 where Michelle did not skate her best and it still bothered her years later.)

Evgenia put her heart and soul into a perfect performance. She can't control the judges, but she controlled her own performance. Who can blame her for being overcome with the intensity of her emotions?

I don't blame either at all, it's just a whisper away from the HOLY GRAIL, *the* Medal that counts the most, that moment of loss captured by cameras, they were both classy as they come. But I do think the emotions are more than just relief....because they would be smiling while crying if truly relieved. They shed tears that flowed from pain, the disappointment painful to watch, but everything that was said in public were spot on, Relief, Gave their best they could (which they did), etc. Both never lost the plot. :agree:

icybear

Medalist
I think the media had unrealistic expectations of a podium finish of her when we all know Mirai reaching the olympics is already the biggest feat. But to say an Olympics skate is an audition for some lame TV show is so disrespectful. Yes we know you want a share of the limelight but you dont have to be so dumb obvious and say it out loud.

Barb

Record Breaker
I must admit that when I read her comment about Gabby I was like :laugh2:, that was not a great answer but she was under the radar several years, she is not used to media like some other skaters.

Most of the skaters that have been criticized before, is because they keep the same attitude over and over again, if Mirai continues to make these kinds of comments, then I will conclude that it was not a lack of ability to answer.

composer

On the Ice
Does anyone have video of the press conference? The quotes in the goldenskate article is worded very differently ...

fenway3

On the Ice
I was not impressed with any of the US ladies in their media, especially Marai. Bradie said she couldn't have asked for more from her Olympic expirence. I get that she's pleased to be in the Olympics but i would have liked her to show say she expected more from herself.

Does USFS offer a "media training" class to its top skaters, I wonder? If not, it should.

Here's what I don't get—when people have job interviews, many of them prepare for hours and hours. But how many "hours" do top skaters "prepare" for interviews with the media? It seems to me that most of them merely wing it.

And in a typical job interview, once it's over, no one will ever remember your comments. But in a media interview, your remarks may last "forever."

This whole nonchalant approach to media interviews has never made any sense to me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think the difference here with Mirai as compared to Bradie and Karen is that Bradie and Karen expressed disappointment for their poor performances while contextualizing them, whereas Mirai did not.

Disagree.

I do not claim to have omniscience about the timeline of everything Mirai has or has not said (and no doubt that someone will correct me :yes: if I am wrong) -- but in the first couple of hours after Mirai's FS, I had heard nothing about the rut and her triple axel.
Just my opinion, but gives me the impression that she did not have any instinct to "blame" the rut. She eventually gave context (not unlike Karen and Bradie).

Here is Mirai's complete message on Instagram (posted something like six hours after her FS):

Today wasn’t quite the performance I was going for but I have such a newfound respect for the Olympians all around me. It takes a huge level of mental strength to persevere during these three weeks, especially when your event is one of the last ones to go. Eight years ago, I went home in between the Opening Ceremonies and the actual event since the commute was so easy. Although I love Korea, there is nothing like home in the USA. I wanted to nail another triple axel on Olympic ice but unfortunately I didn’t even get a chance to when I hit a rut in the ice. Sometimes you just have to take it all in with a smile on your face. Even with the flaws, I enjoyed my Olympic performances and have been overwhelmingly happy with the support I’ve received from everyone.
I’m grateful to the
@olympics for bringing my family together to watch me compete and that my grandma decided to surprise me by coming from Japan as well!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfiPdK2nget/?taken-by=mirainagasu

In a series of tweets, she conveyed the same gracious message:

"Today wasn't quite the performance I was going for ..."
"Even with the flaws ..."

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
Unfortunately that comment about Gabby was completely unnecessary. Sure, she should have rephrased it better, but there was no reason to say that. When the question is "Why did US Figure Skaters struggle under pressure?" There's no reason to bring Canada into this, we won our gold in team, and several other medals, including a bronze in the individual.

But to say an Olympics skate is an audition for some lame TV show is so disrespectful.

I think it was an attempt to be light-hearted that came out sounding silly. Anyway, I don't think the audition was very successful. Dancing With the Stars doesn't want someone falling on the dance floor.

(What they want is another Meryl Davis. :laugh: )

frida80

Record Breaker
I think the media had unrealistic expectations of a podium finish of her when we all know Mirai reaching the olympics is already the biggest feat. But to say an Olympics skate is an audition for some lame TV show is so disrespectful. Yes we know you want a share of the limelight but you dont have to be so dumb obvious and say it out loud.

Put in context, it makes sense. After the SP, she was completely devastated. She wanted to win a medal so much for her country and said tearfully in an interview that she has let her country down. Clearly her team consoled her and told her to look at the bright side. Adam was the one that told her to think of her FS like a DWTS audition.

So she went out there and skated with some joy for once. The pops were unfortunate, but if you look at her track record she could’ve been much worse. Afterwards she gave a clumsy interview after being mental drained and put through the wringer after the last few weeks. I just chalk it up to having brain fart, rather taking anything that she said with any weight.

frida80

Record Breaker
I think it was an attempt to be light-hearted that came out sounding silly. Anyway, I don't think the audition was very successful. Dancing With the Stars doesn't want someone falling on the dance floor.

(What they want is another Meryl Davis. :laugh: )

They like gold medalist and controversy. Mirai is perfect. Carrie Ann and Bruno will hate her serious face, Len will love her technique. Can’t ask for much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.