Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 63 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well said, LRK. :agree:

Another thought re Mirai's apparent love :yes: of competition:
Quotes and social media posts from her rink-mates, Tom Z, and Mirai herself indicate that she can't get enough of taking on the guys -- the likes of Ryan Bradley and Max Aaron, no less -- in whatever intramural competitions (in endurance, speed, jumping, etc.) are part of their daily training. Sounds as if she always is absolutely fired up and fearless.​

But there is nothing at stake in such 'competitions', win or lose---it's all fun and games. There is no audience, and there are no judges to register permanent scores on your record.

When there is a podium at stake, all the fun goes out the door.

lefeury

Rinkside
this is the same mumbo jumbo folks were discussing about Ashley Wagner within the last 3 months. Look what she did in those 3 months. It is possible, world team or not.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai can't do 5 Senior Bs in a row the way Liza did, unless she is willing and able to pay for travel and lodging for most of them herself. The Russian Fed was willing to pay the $ to send Tuk to all those competitions, but since the death of the pro-am comps and cheesefests, USFS has sent individual skaters/teams to at most two fall competitions. There are a fair number of deserving US skaters and not enough money to go around.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
this is the same mumbo jumbo folks were discussing about Ashley Wagner within the last 3 months. Look what she did in those 3 months. It is possible, world team or not.

Ashley has competed in 9 GP/GPF events in three years and medaled at all of them. Her form was never that bad.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
In the past there were gymnasts in their 30s on Olympic and World podiums. And of course we also have Oksana Chusovitina who has won World and Olympic medals (on vault) well past her 30s.

Thanks. That was the gymnast who said was podiuming in her 30's!

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I think Mirai Nagasu should do whatever she feels is right. She's a beautiful, determined, gritty skater who impressed me very much with her fortitude and courage in finishing after sustaining a significant injury during her LP this year. And I've been impressed by her before, too -- I think she's a tough-minded, fierce competitor, and I think she enjoys skating very much. I don't know her personally, but I respect her highly and hope she will heal safely and well. The most important thing for her to remember, though, as I see it: Do what you love, and refuse to give up on yourself. Maybe your breakthrough will not come in skating. Maybe it'll be coaching instead. Maybe it'll be something else. But I, for one, believe Mirai still has much to offer the world of skating, and have definitely not written her off. (I don't think she's too old, either. I just wish someone with some $$ could help to back her career, as that might take some of the pressure off her shoulders. As a musician without money who couldn't do some of the things that may have helped _my_ career, I can empathize with that.)

This is really lovely. I feel the same way. If she wants to continue that is her choice and I support it.. I wish her the best!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
But there is nothing at stake in such 'competitions', win or lose---it's all fun and games. There is no audience, and there are no judges to register permanent scores on your record.

When there is a podium at stake, all the fun goes out the door.

My point is that Mirai has an inherent love of competition -- for the sake of competition. I would not jump to the conclusion that all the fun goes out the door for her when a podium is at stake.

I am no fan of Lindsey Vonn, but the following anecdote helped me understand how deeply ingrained such love of competition is:
For a fluffy pre-Sochi live segment on the Today show, Vonn had a fitness "competition" against Today anchor Savannah Guthrie.
One of the parameters was blood pressure, which was measured live on air.
Lo and behold, Vonn's BP was higher than Guthrie's. Instead of laughing off the unexpected result, Vonn actually was visibly rattled -- and even called for a rematch.
At the same time that I was amused, a light bulb went off in my head: if losing even a BP "competition" bothers her, no wonder Vonn is an Olympic champion.​

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
What are the rules for getting byes to the next Nationals? Will Mirai have to go to Regionals and/or Sectionals next season to qualify?

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Will you PLEASE lay off it with the facts?

You're ruining everyone's Disney vacation to Fantasyland!

It is impossible to compare the careers of the two girls. Mirai is a fan favorite, which I get, but she doesn't have the record Ashley does.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well said, LRK. :agree:

Another thought re Mirai's apparent love :yes: of competition:
Quotes and social media posts from her rink-mates, Tom Z, and Mirai herself indicate that she can't get enough of taking on the guys -- the likes of Ryan Bradley and Max Aaron, no less -- in whatever intramural competitions (in endurance, speed, jumping, etc.) are part of their daily training. Sounds as if she always is absolutely fired up and fearless.​

I get the feeling that she loves skating but just can't translate the joy into competitive mentality when it comes time to get on the ice. I don't know what to say... Of course, I want her to have a comeback but as the years go by, what can you say?

Still, I don't want her to retire. There are some skaters that I secretly think should retire, though I'd never say so because it's not my business and there it just seems rotten to say it when I have no real knowledge of the situation. But Mirai is not one of them. In spite of everything, I'd miss her! If she sticks around and even gives us one great skate with expression in any competition it will have been worth it for me.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She will probably do GP events which should save her from that indignity.

That depends on whether or not she will get GP invitations. She could get a host pick, but right now that doesn't seem likely unless she does very, very well at summer comps. She is currently #21 on the ISU World Ranking list, but will very likely drop below #24 after Euros, 4CC and Worlds when skaters below her who place well in those competitions pass her on the list. She is #27 on the Seasons Best list now, and again will probably drop lower after the ISU championships. Because of her position on the lists, and not going to Worlds, she won't be guaranteed any invitations, although there is still the possibility she still might get an invitation anyway. She would be on the substitute list and could get a later invitation due to a vacancy.

tulosai

Record Breaker
That depends on whether or not she will get GP invitations. She could get a host pick, but right now that doesn't seem likely unless she does very, very well at summer comps. She is currently #21 on the ISU World Ranking list, but will very likely drop below #24 after Euros, 4CC and Worlds when skaters below her who place well in those competitions pass her on the list. She is #27 on the Seasons Best list now, and again will probably drop lower after the ISU championships. Because of her position on the lists, and not going to Worlds, she won't be guaranteed any invitations, although there is still the possibility she still might get an invitation anyway. She would be on the substitute list and could get a later invitation due to a vacancy.

I think she will probably just barely eek out 25 or below on the ISU World Ranking list, but it is going to be close. I agree she is in no way a lock for the host pick- the USA has several viable options and is actually going to have to make a difficult choice.

slider11

Medalist
Wouldn't it be great if some anonymous philanthropist contacted Mirai and let her focus on continuing her competitive career while he/she provided funding? Yes, she needs to pull it together. Just like Adam did yesterday. I love watching her and I'm rooting for her.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'd be surprised if Mirai gets a GP assignment this year.

Even in a worst-case scenario, she will definitely be high enough on the substitutes list that she will get one. It is, however, quite questionable as to whether she will manage to get two.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFS will probably give Mirai a B assignment that will keep her out of Regionals or Sectionals if she gets only one GP. If Caroline Zhang could make it through both, there is no doubt that Mirai could too, so there's no point in making Mirai compete there, thus denying another Midwest skater the opportunity to make it to Nationals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would love to hear for the horse herself; what her plans are and that she can be happy with whatever she chooses. I come from a real poor family so I do wonder sometimes how these skaters do it. The time, the costs. Even if my family could afford the skating they would never have enough money to come and watch or travel . Did she even get on the B or C team for the US?