Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

salchowx4

On the Ice
For 2014-2015 season, Mirai is Team Envelope B.

Looking at the requirements for 2015-2016 season, she will be bumped down to Team C - Tier 1. She didn't actually do well enough this season to meet standard requirements for Team C, but Team Bs who have a very bad season get bumped down to C - Tier 1 for the next season.

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I have just read Mirai's Wiki and and found out a very interesting fact - that she holds both Japanese and American citizenship. BUT she has to choose which one she will keep because she cannot hold both after her 22th birthday. And she is 22 in six days. Have there been any discusion or information which citizenship she wants to keep? This is a very important decision.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I have just read Mirai's Wiki and and found out a very interesting fact - that she holds both Japanese and American citizenship. BUT she has to choose which one she will keep because she cannot hold both after her 22th birthday. And she is 22 in six days. Have there been any discusion or information which citizenship she wants to keep? This is a very important decision.

There has been some people who held onto both even after they past their 22nd, but those are people who fly under the radar. It would be a shame to give it up since Japanese citizenships are extremely diffcult to get but there's no reason for her to choose that over her American one since she doesn't ever plan to skate for Japan and she permanently resides in the US. :shrug:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The competition in Japan is even tougher than that in the US. She would have no chance to make the National team there.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Mirai seems like a nice girl and is a fan favorite and lovely skater but I can't imagine she can keep putting herself through this. It must be very challenging for her and it doesn't look like she's enjoying it (much like Jeremy Abbott). I think she needs to take a good look at herself and think about what she wants out of life and if competitive skating is really the way to go (I think Jeremy should do this as well). She should obviously do whatever she wants but I don't see her ascending to 2010 heights again. Every time I watch her skate she just looks so sad.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think maybe she's moving to Japan, it's the best for her.

Nothing more than sheer speculation on your part, right?

... I think she needs to take a good look at herself and think about what she wants out of life ....

Guess what? Mirai probably has done exactly so on a regular basis throughout her skating career.

And she apparently has decided that what she wants out of life right now is a continuing career in skating :).

Go, Mirai!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Mirai moving to Japan would be disastrous for her skating career. The depth of the Japanese women is incredible. But here we go again with another season and people holding out hope that Mirai will finally get it together. I don't know how many season she has left to turnaround her career.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Mirai moving to Japan would be disastrous for her skating career. The depth of the Japanese women is incredible. But here we go again with another season and people holding out hope that Mirai will finally get it together. I don't know how many season she has left to turnaround her career.

Beyond Japan's depth, people seem to keep forgetting that in order to change which country a skater represents internationally, single skaters have to sit out of international competition for 2 years. Mirai would not be eligible to represent Japan until at least December 2016 (last competed internationally for the US in November 2014). I highly doubt Mirai would want to sit out that long.

slider11

Medalist
I still hold Mirai in the third ladies spot. Gracie and Ashley earned that spot so I am still optimistic that Mirai can regain her stance internationally. She's got that special skate in her. Lots of nay-sayers out there but I'm with you, Mirai.

noskates

Record Breaker
I still hold Mirai in the third ladies spot. Gracie and Ashley earned that spot so I am still optimistic that Mirai can regain her stance internationally. She's got that special skate in her. Lots of nay-sayers out there but I'm with you, Mirai.

I don't mean to be a naysayer - just facing facts. Unless Polina has a complete meltdown, which isn't likely, Mirai doesn't have that 3rd spot. Sorry.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't mean to be a naysayer - just facing facts. Unless Polina has a complete meltdown, which isn't likely, Mirai doesn't have that 3rd spot. Sorry.

I think Mirai is 0 for 3 in match-ups with Polina (2 Nats and US Classic) so Nagasu definitely isn't clearly ahead of Edmunds by any measure.

Flaya

Match Penalty
I have an impression that this third spot is doable for Mirai but given how consistent Polina is. I think maybe she should focus on actually beating Gracie instead.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ermmm flaya: this is a very funny comment you make… i don't think skaters "focus on beating gracie" or a specific skater… they just focus on their own skating… I am wondering if you could explain to me, since I really don't understand, how someone can " focus on beating gracie" .

Flaya

Match Penalty
ermmm flaya: this is a very funny comment you make… i don't think skaters "focus on beating gracie" or a specific skater… they just focus on their own skating… I am wondering if you could explain to me, since I really don't understand, how someone can " focus on beating gracie" .

As example by watching her technique/finding out what are her weaker points, as example her nerves and her inconsistency.

Looking at the technical elements and incorporating some that this other skater does not have. Working on artistry/better edges, better spins.

This is critical analysis of your competition and every skater does it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i will take your word for it that every skater does that ;)
As example by watching her technique/finding out what are her weaker points, as example her nerves and her inconsistency.

Looking at the technical elements and incorporating some that this other skater does not have. Working on artistry/better edges, better spins.

This is critical analysis of your competition and every skater does it.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
idk, i will always support her while enjoying skating and support other skaters as well. But she will always be my favorite. :cheer:
she's the reason why i'm here and why i'm following skating every season.

Last edited: