Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 62 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

thoakun

Final Flight
I doubt very much that Caroline Zhang has rich parents, and I know for a fact that Agnes Zawadzki's widowed mother had a hard time supporting her skating. Mirai's parents own and operate a Japanese restaurant and do not have unlimited funds either.

As for Mirai enjoying skating, my personal opinion is that she doesn't look as if she enjoys competing, but then there aren't many skaters who actually do admit they relish competition. Maybe Ashley at this Nationals (only), and Michelle Kwan, who always preferred competition to show skating, and of course, Tara Lipinski. You can probably add Elana Radionova to that list---she always looks as if she loves to compete.
I can't help relating Mirai to Kanako, as both seem to walk the same path. They used to be balls of sunshine who steal everyone's hearts. They became the hope of their nations when they were around 15-16. I believe both of them enjoy skating, not the competitive aspect of elite amateur skating. For the past few years, they have experienced more lows than highs in their career. They lack the mental toughness of Michelle and Yuna, the steely determination of Ashley, the perseverance of Mao. While I understand why some people would say that they should call it quit, it must be a very difficult decision for Mirai and Kanako. If they can qualify and afford to compete and feel like they can still improve, it's not for me to judge. Somehow I think FS is a bit less heartbreaking than gymnastics. You will probably never see a 27-year-old gymnast on the podium of Worlds and Olympics.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I can't help relating Mirai to Kanako, as both seem to walk the same path. They used to be balls of sunshine who steal everyone's hearts. They became the hope of their nations when they were around 15-16. I believe both of them enjoy skating, not the competitive aspect of elite amateur skating. For the past few years, they have experienced more lows than highs in their career. They lack the mental toughness of Michelle and Yuna, the steely determination of Ashley, the perseverance of Mao. While I understand why some people would say that they should call it quit, it must be a very difficult decision for Mirai and Kanako. If they can qualify and afford to compete and feel like they can still improve, it's not for me to judge. Somehow I think FS is a bit less heartbreaking than gymnastics. You will probably never see a 27-year-old gymnast on the podium of Worlds and Olympics.

Actually there was a German vaulter I believe who was winning medals at that late age but we get the idea. I amnot sure what to say to Mirai. You want to say live your dreams; shoot for the stars. ANd she potential could still medal but somehow many would say unlikely considering her numerous issues which still are not resolved and sometimes an apparent loss of joy of skating. Sad facts are many of us had dreams and we had to give them up often for practical reasons - money, schooling, family, others relying on us, injury, tragedy, changes in ourselves and lives....

LRK

Record Breaker
And it is very obvious to me that it is only your opinion that Mirai does not enjoy competition.
You and I and anyone else who is not a confidante of Mirai's are entitled to our opinions and feelings, but they are nothing more than opinions and feelings, not truths.

Yes, and it must mean something to her, or she wouldn't be going on with it.

I don't know what makes us - internet posters - qualified to judge what makes someone else's life "meaningful" or not. Would her life be more "meaningful" if she were plugging away at a "proper job" at some office somewhere doing a 9 to 7 job that she hated? I don't know. Do we all have "meaningful" lives - according to each other's specifications? What is a meaningful life? And who is qualified to judge? Certainly not me.

What we can judge of is if we enjoy someone's skating or not. No one is obligated to enjoy for example Mirai's skating - but she is not obligated to retire just because some people may think - for whatever reason. even were it "for her own good" - that she ought.

Icey

Record Breaker
True, rare, but ETHEL MUCKETT WAS GOING ON 39 WHEN SHE WON HER BRONZE MEDAL AT THE 1924 Olympics. Three women older than of 27 have won Olympic medals.

Last edited:

thom

Rinkside
Oksana Chusovitina was 32, 33 when she won the silver medal on vault at the 2008 Summer Olympics in gymnastics.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I agree. However, it makes me sad to see Mirai skate because it's very obvious she doesn't enjoy competition. Her first fall was more nerves than anything else.

She says she enjoys it and doesn't want to give it up and so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt but she sure gives the opposite impression when she is going on the ice. It's hard for me to say because you can't exactly hear what is going on but it seems like she doesn't have the patience, or she is too nervous, to fully listen to her coach right before the skate and let him pump her up. She seems like she's only half listening and then skates away in a huff as soon as she can. I don't think she is trying to be rude or anything, I just get the feeling that she gets overwhelmed and doesn't want to be talked to.

But she seems to have lost any ability to get herself into the right mindset right before taking the ice, or even to want to. She looks so grim heading out there and the crowd is always cheering so hard because she's always a sentimental favorite. It's jarring.

noidont

Final Flight
Maybe Mirai should do what Liza did -- compete five senior Bs in a roll and get her nerve problems sorted out that way.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, and it must mean something to her, or she wouldn't be going on with it.

I don't know what makes us - internet posters - qualified to judge what makes someone else's life "meaningful" or not. Would her life be more "meaningful" if she were plugging away at a "proper job" at some office somewhere doing a 9 to 7 job that she hated? I don't know. Do we all have "meaningful" lives - according to each other's specifications? What is a meaningful life? And who is qualified to judge? Certainly not me.

What we can judge of is if we enjoy someone's skating or not. No one is obligated to enjoy for example Mirai's skating - but she is not obligated to retire just because some people may think - for whatever reason. even were it "for her own good" - that she ought.

Well said, LRK. :agree:

Another thought re Mirai's apparent love :yes: of competition:
Quotes and social media posts from her rink-mates, Tom Z, and Mirai herself indicate that she can't get enough of taking on the guys -- the likes of Ryan Bradley and Max Aaron, no less -- in whatever intramural competitions (in endurance, speed, jumping, etc.) are part of their daily training. Sounds as if she always is absolutely fired up and fearless.​

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I mean is, when Caroline IS 30, she will no longer be able to qualify for Nationals. I am actually trying to think of ANY ladies single skater who was still competitive at the age of 30 and cannot. Even the 'late bloomers' were all in their late 20's I believe. Caroline is only maybe 20 or 22 currently. My point was just, the window for being a professional figure skater is SHORT.

I don't know about US Nationals but skaters can certainly skate beyond age 30 as an "amateur" in international events.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

In the past there were gymnasts in their 30s on Olympic and World podiums. And of course we also have Oksana Chusovitina who has won World and Olympic medals (on vault) well past her 30s.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Mirai is only 21. She just switched coaches, has had a history of nerves, and seems to be improving.
If she stays with Tom Z. for a while, perhaps her confidence will come back.

If she decides to retire, she'll have an insanely lucrative show career - she's beloved in Japan, and Kazakhstan seemed to love her this summer as well.

But I don't think she's done yet. Look at Caro, Shizuka, Irina, or Joannie. All won Olympic medals fairly late into their careers. And on a national level, Akiko won her national title in her final year, and Alena's still kicking especially with that world silver under her belt. It's been years, but I still do believe in Mirai - all her ups and downs, triumphs and sorrows. But she's worth it for me.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
In the past there were gymnasts in their 30s on Olympic and World podiums. And of course we also have Oksana Chusovitina who has won World and Olympic medals (on vault) well past her 30s.

Additionally, Hong Un-jong won the vault gold at the 2008 Olympics at 19 and just won her first world title this past October at age 25. She completed the hardest vaults any lady in the entire world is attempting and she's hoping to up her ante by Rio, too.

Beth Tweddle also won the Olympic bronze in London at age 27.

I'm assuming the post only applies to women? Because if not, then you'd be surprised how many men peak in their late 20s and early 30s. And as of recently, some guys have managed to stay in Olympic event final contention well into their mid to late 30s. :drama:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai is only 21. She just switched coaches, has had a history of nerves, and seems to be improving.
If she stays with Tom Z. for a while, perhaps her confidence will come back.

If she decides to retire, she'll have an insanely lucrative show career - she's beloved in Japan, and Kazakhstan seemed to love her this summer as well.

But I don't think she's done yet. Look at Caro, Shizuka, Irina, or Joannie. All won Olympic medals fairly late into their careers. And on a national level, Akiko won her national title in her final year, and Alena's still kicking especially with that world silver under her belt. It's been years, but I still do believe in Mirai - all her ups and downs, triumphs and sorrows. But she's worth it for me.

Thank you, I agree with this. Even look at Ashley, at the ripe old age of 23 (2 years older than Mirai) as someone to inspire her to keep going. All skaters have ups and downs and while Mirai has been down quite a bit lately, she clearly is not giving up yet. I hope she takes this disappointment in stride and will be back stronger next year. I think she and Tom have a good partnership from what I have seen. Hope her knee heals up well and she'll be back training soon.

On her Twitter, she mentioned she's thinking of blogging. Maybe if she does, we'll get more insight on her training and her thoughts on competing and stop speculating on what's inside her head.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Mirai is in a much different situation. None of these skaters went 5 years without making a World team. Christina Gao, who is a full time student, has beaten Mirai 3 of the last 4 US Championships

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
It just appears to me that Mirai is not enjoying this anymore. It make me wonder if she hasn't had more that the needed education or holds any other interests away from the rink. Therefore, she may feel stuck. I could be way off base... thoughts?

BarbC

Rinkside
I think Mirai Nagasu should do whatever she feels is right. She's a beautiful, determined, gritty skater who impressed me very much with her fortitude and courage in finishing after sustaining a significant injury during her LP this year.

And I've been impressed by her before, too -- I think she's a tough-minded, fierce competitor, and I think she enjoys skating very much. I don't know her personally, but I respect her highly and hope she will heal safely and well.

The most important thing for her to remember, though, as I see it: Do what you love, and refuse to give up on yourself. Maybe your breakthrough will not come in skating. Maybe it'll be coaching instead. Maybe it'll be something else.

But I, for one, believe Mirai still has much to offer the world of skating, and have definitely not written her off. (I don't think she's too old, either. I just wish someone with some $$ could help to back her career, as that might take some of the pressure off her shoulders. As a musician without money who couldn't do some of the things that may have helped _my_ career, I can empathize with that.)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It just appears to me that Mirai is not enjoying this anymore. It make me wonder if she hasn't had more that the needed education or holds any other interests away from the rink. Therefore, she may feel stuck. I could be way off base... thoughts?

I'm sure she didn't enjoy that freak fall in a program she had worked on for many months. She has said she wants to continue because she likes competing.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Maybe Mirai should do what Liza did -- compete five senior Bs in a roll and get her nerve problems sorted out that way.

She did perform her LP five times this season (the SP four times). All 5 LPs were scored within an 8 point range (101-109). She has had no improvement this year results-wise and has in fact gotten worse (even before factoring in the freak fall at Nationals). I know it sounds like borderline trolling to say but she really does need to evaluate the direction her career is going and maybe consider if she would be happier as a show skater.

Last edited: