Most Beautiful (Current) Ladies Skaters | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Most Beautiful (Current) Ladies Skaters

miki88

Medalist
Laura = there's something about her, the more you look at her the more she's beautiful

yea i totally agree with this. if kiira resembles grace kelly, the cool blonde who turns heads, then laura is more like ingrid bergman, who had a smothering kind of beauty.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
yea i totally agree with this. if kiira resembles grace kelly, the cool blonde who turns heads, then laura is more like ingrid bergman, who had a smothering kind of beauty.

I don't know if you know but Ingrid Bergman has red hair. Most people nowadays probably don't know that because they're probably only used seeing her in black and white movies. I wouldn't say that Lepisto reminds of Bergman... different types of beauty. Lepisto's charm is uniquely her own. Bergman is more like a godess.

Also check out this photo of Mai and Mao Asada:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/3884371333_5e8eb17530.jpg

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I don't know if you know but Ingrid Bergman has red hair. Most people nowadays probably don't know that because they're probably only used seeing her in black and white movies. I wouldn't say that Lepisto reminds of Bergman... different types of beauty. Lepisto's charm is uniquely her own. Bergman is more like a godess.

Also check out this photo of Mai and Mao Asada:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/3884371333_5e8eb17530.jpg

i thought she was strawberry blonde? well to me, bergman does not look so stunning at first sight. however, she becomes more attractive as you watch her more and more, and i think it's the same for laura.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yu-Na Kim
Tanith Belbin
Sasha Cohen
Mirai Nagasu
Meryl Davis
Tessa Virtue

prettykeys

Medalist
In the other direction, there are woman who are considered very beautiful who have quite masculine features (including high, broad foreheads.)

Brooke Shields

Marlene Dietrich

Katarina Witt

Cro Mangon Woman
First, just to be clear, I want to re-emphasize that my original position was that features like rounded foreheads and big eyes, while associated with juveniles, are not merely prized for their juvenility (that's why I said yes, they are juvenile features, but not just juvenile); I think they constitute common standards/ideals of feminine beauty as well. Of the examples you gave, Marlene Dietrich still has a high, rounded forehead. Brooke Shields is still very striking and beautiful, but I think she would be more feminine and beautiful with a rounder forehead.

Katarina Witt, by the way, actually does have quite a high/round forehead: http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/pv/Katarina Witt-10.jpg

Another example of a masculine feature in a beautiful woman is Angelina Jolie and her rather broad jaw; that doesn't mean that smaller, non-broad jaws aren't generally more aesthetically appealing in women. :p

Especially in Ice Dance, where we tend to find the highest concentration of beautiful men and women in Figure Skating. In Singles, you can be so so looking and still do well, if you have the right skills. There is undeniably a beauty factor in Figure Skating. Beautiful people have an easier time to get jobs in this world and tend to get paid more as well. The same can be said about beautiful skaters as they tend to have an easier time getting higher marks as well or at least be perceived as good in what they do.

Ice Dance tends to be the least objective of all events, in such case, the look is even more important than ever. That's why most Ice Dancers look gorgeous and the winners, almost always look picture perfect.

I think that's a possible explanation of why ice dancers all seem to be soooo lovely. I have another theory: in pairs skating, there are many more lifts and throws, so a really important factor for a good pair (not always; there are exceptions) is that the guy be a lot bigger and stronger than the girl, and that the girl be easy to lift. (Otherwise his back dies much earlier and shortens their career.) So you get a lot of petite ladies rising to the top ranks of pairs skating. That narrows the field of possible great pairs skating ladies--they have to come from a more limited pool of body types even than skaters in general. Ideally, they have a body type closer to a sprite-like elite gymnast. For example, Gordeyeva was 8–12 inches smaller than Grinkov even when she reached her full height. (The fact that she's also one of the most beautiful women on the planet is coincidental!)

With ice dancing, it's possible for the lady to be a bit closer to the man's height. This widens the range of possible ladies. Maybe this is not relevant, but that's my contribution to the theory--keeping in mind that there are exceptions all over the place.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I think that's a possible explanation of why ice dancers all seem to be soooo lovely. I have another theory: in pairs skating, there are many more lifts and throws, so a really important factor for a good pair (not always; there are exceptions) is that the guy be a lot bigger and stronger than the girl, and that the girl be easy to lift. (Otherwise his back dies much earlier and shortens their career.) So you get a lot of petite ladies rising to the top ranks of pairs skating. That narrows the field of possible great pairs skating ladies--they have to come from a more limited pool of body types even than skaters in general. Ideally, they have a body type closer to a sprite-like elite gymnast. For example, Gordeyeva was 8–12 inches smaller than Grinkov even when she reached her full height. (The fact that she's also one of the most beautiful women on the planet is coincidental!)

With ice dancing, it's possible for the lady to be a bit closer to the man's height. This widens the range of possible ladies. Maybe this is not relevant, but that's my contribution to the theory--keeping in mind that there are exceptions all over the place.

Which reminds me... Gordeyeva was perhaps the most beautiful figure skater ever.

RockTheTassel

Rinkside
Of the current ladies, I think Tessa Virtue, Ashley Wagner, Tanith Belbin, Emily Samuelson, Mao Asada, and Kiira Korpi are the most attractive. Mirai Nagasu, Laura Lepisto, and Alena Leonova are all cute but not exceptionally pretty, imo. Somehow I find Meryl to be both pretty and sort of odd looking.

I honestly don't get why everyone loves Miki Ando's looks. To be honest, I've always thought of her as one of the least attractive top skaters, yet she's mentioned in almost every single post in this thread. No offense to Miki or her fans (I actually like Miki as a person!), but I just don't see it.

Last edited:
In threads like this, I wish we could stick to who we think is beautiful and leave off the part about who we think is not. :cool:

RockTheTassel

Rinkside
In threads like this, I wish we could stick to who we think is beautiful and leave off the part about who we think is not. :cool:

I understand but it is a forum and people are going to say what they think. Of course nastiness is uncalled for, and there's a difference between saying "I don't find so-and-so attractive" and "So-and-so is soooo ugly! Ew."

hurrah

Medalist
I understand but it is a forum and people are going to say what they think. Of course nastiness is uncalled for, and there's a difference between saying "I don't find so-and-so attractive" and "So-and-so is soooo ugly! Ew."

Miki has the features of mature beauty, square jaw, full lips, well-defined nose except for the eyes, which are set wide apart, which is a feature of juvenile beauty. It's that combination that makes her exceptionally attractive.

RockTheTassel

Rinkside
Miki has the features of mature beauty, square jaw, full lips, well-defined nose except for the eyes, which are set wide apart, which is a feature of juvenile beauty. It's that combination that makes her exceptionally attractive.

Yeah, that's what others have been saying. I just looked up a non-skating photo of her and found her much better looking in it, so perhaps part of why I don't find her pretty is because of her styling on the ice. But it doesn't matter anyway. People having different tastes in beauty is a good thing. :)

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Most Beautiful Ladies Skaters in My Book

MIKI ANDO

MAI ASADA

KSENIA MAKAROVA

LAURA LEPISTO

SASHA COHEN

YU NA KIM

Not current ice dancer

TATYANA NAVKA

It might be just personal taste but I find Hollywood notion of the conventional beauty to be kind of boring.

Same feeling here :agree:

mishieru07

On the Ice
Healthier? Obviously you know nothing about professional sport.

What about professional sport? I'll concede that FS and certain sports like gymnastics do tend to have higher rates of eating disorders but that's not true of ALL sports. The tennis players and golfers sure look fine to me.

You may think that the only beautiful women are those with curves and you're entitled to your opinion. I disagree. And anyway, there ARE curvy ladies in Ladies; Gedevanishvili is one.

I think it's true that overall, the dancers are the prettiest of the lot! (See the Vancouver podium). It's certainly true that FS does tend to have more beautiful people than most sports! I think Tessa Virtue, Anna Cappellini, Oksana Domnina (killer legs!!), the Finnish ladies, Sarah Meier, Alissa Czisny and Yu Na are gorgeous. Meryl is also lovely in an exotic sense imo, as is Miki Ando.