Most Beautiful (Current) Ladies Skaters | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Most Beautiful (Current) Ladies Skaters

Bennett

Record Breaker
Meryl can be a show model. She has unique beauty.

Yuna is also a model type. I do not think that she is a traditional beauty or as uniquely standouts as Meryln. But she looks very stylish and fashionable and her legs and arms are exceptionally long and slim.

I agree with others saying that Miki looks better in practice outfit. Her costumes and makeup are not really my taste even before Morosov came in.

viv

On the Ice
For me, beauty also has to do with somebody looking special. For example, Tanith and Kiira both obviously have beautiful features, but when I don't have them in front of my eyes I hardly remember them and always mix them up with the one or other conventional Hollywood or TV beauty.

But when you have seen Meryl once, you never will forget her face. I think in French her kind of beauty is called "beauté du diable" which describes a non-classical but very impressive kind of beauty. Also, Laura and Miki you always would recognize among thousands, also Oksana Domnina, who is the most beautiful blonde skating lady for me.

I think the fact that Miki looks better outside the ice has to do with the hairstyle. The straight back hairdo makes her look a bit bony; a softer style suits her much better, IMO.

Last edited:
For me, beauty also has to do with somebody looking special. For example, Tanith and Kiira both obviously have beautiful features, but when I don't have them in front of my eyes I hardly remember them and always mix them up with the one or other conventional Hollywood or TV beauty.

But when you have seen Meryl once, you never will forget her face. I think in French her kind of beauty is called "beauté du diable" which describes a non-classical but very impressive kind of beauty. Also, Laura and Miki you always would recognize among thousands, also Oksana Domnina, who is the most beautiful blonde skating lady for me.

I think the fact that Miki looks better outside the ice has to do with the hairstyle. The straight back hairdo makes her look a bit bony; a softer style suits her much better, IMO.

I like that: beaute du diable. (I can't do accents yet on my computer!) Meryl made me sit up and take notice the first time I watched her skate.

One thing I've been enjoying about our discussion is the sheer diversity of choices people have been making--not just ethnically diverse but showing great differences even within an ethnic group. It shows that there's no one standard of beauty. Some combination of symmetry and harmonious arrangement of features, along with expressiveness, seems to announce itself as beautiful, but there's no one "prescription" for what that combination is. Vive la difference!

I agree about Miki, too. When she pulls her hair back, it changes the proportions of her face, and I don't think it suits her as well as her off-ice hairstyle. But she's an exceptionally attractive woman. The other thing is that, to me at least, her fussy costumes tend to fight with her strong features. She's someone who would look better in something simple--and she looks simply splendid in black, midnight blue, or burgundy.

Bennett

Record Breaker

I agree with you. Tanith and Kiira are Hollywood or TV beauty. In that sense, I think it better for them not to go for acting etc.

I find Miki pretty. But I don't really think that her face is very unique. There are lots of Japanese girls who look like her. In a way, she looks more like a girl who is popular among classmates in high school, esp. among guys. But if put in foreign countries, she may look exotic.

I am not sure how commonly you can find the Laura type of looks in Finland. To me, she looks like Russian.

I love the way you describe Meryl. But does "diable" mean devil? I am not sure how that makes a compliment then. Sounds as if the person is scary-looking or invoke something evil, no?

I also find Shizuka and Kwan to be in the unique beauty category.

viv

On the Ice
.....I love the way you describe Meryl. But does "diable" mean devil? I am not sure how that makes a compliment then. Sounds as if the person is scary-looking or invoke something evil, no?...

Yes, diable means devil, but "beauté du diable" is a phrase which refers only to the kind of beauty of a woman, not to the character or personality, and it always is meant as a compliment. French is not my mother tongue, and I don't know how the phrase was established, but I think it means to distinguish an angel-like, soft, conventional from an unconventional and strong kind of beauty. :)

I was looking around in the vast reaches of YouTube and decided to rewatch Shizuka's 2006 Olympic long program. Yep, she definitely belongs on anyone's list. Not only is she beautiful, but her carriage is at once majestic and graceful. When she leans back into the ina bauer, she's like a lily bending in the wind. If Michelle couldn't win in 2006, it's thoroughly satisfying that Shizuka won. What a presence she brings to the ice.

viv

On the Ice
I was looking around in the vast reaches of YouTube and decided to rewatch Shizuka's 2006 Olympic long program. Yep, she definitely belongs on anyone's list. Not only is she beautiful, but her carriage is at once majestic and graceful. When she leans back into the ina bauer, she's like a lily bending in the wind. If Michelle couldn't win in 2006, it's thoroughly satisfying that Shizuka won. What a presence she brings to the ice.

I agree with that. I just didn't put Shizuka on my list because it was said to be exclusively about "current skaters".

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
The Most Beautiful

1. Adam Rippon
2. Yuna Kim
3. Laura Lepisto
4. Amanda Dobbs

They all are not only beautiful but also ATTRACTIVE.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The Most Beautiful

1. Adam Rippon
2. Yuna Kim
3. Laura Lepisto
4. Amanda Dobbs

They all are not only beautiful but also ATTRACTIVE.

You got that right. Does Amanda Dobbs remind anyone else of Laura Lepisto? I think they have similar facial features and the same great basics, speed, and beauty in their skating despite not having the most difficult programs. I really hope Amanda stays with singles because I really enjoy her skating, more so than Rachael and Agnes who I find a bit too slow and mechanical. With Czisny likely retiring the US needs another elegant skater, and that is Amanda, but what's even better is that she seems to be a pretty strong competitor.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think that there is also selection bias. I read at a magazine called "Number" that Yukina Ota was recruited because her future coach loved her beautiful legs. Machiko Yamada was also saying aloud in an interview that she was happy that Mao and Mai came because they had pretty faces, have beautiful body lines, and elegant skating style. Regular school teachers would never say these things aloud.

Sorry, I randomly found this and thought I'd share.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/192/80/n135014690392_5357.jpg

Also, I'd really like to see her try/do her 4S in competition. It's pretty amazing. (I realize she landed it a long time ago, but it was when she was still competing as a Junior.)

That is a gorgeous picture of Miki! I wish she was able to wear her hair down more often, though I understand why she pulls it back for competing. Loose hair like the style in this photo changes her from a nice looking girl into an extraordinary beauty.

Cerulean

Rinkside
That is a gorgeous picture of Miki! I wish she was able to wear her hair down more often, though I understand why she pulls it back for competing. Loose hair like the style in this photo changes her from a nice looking girl into an extraordinary beauty.

I very much agree. She's not just beautiful, she is charismatic.

zandor

On the Ice
Ladies:

Yu Na Kim
Kiira Korpi
Ashley Wagner

Ice Dance:

Tanith Belbin
Nathalie Pechalat
Meryl D.
Anna Capelini
Elena Ilinyhk