Music Context | Golden Skate

Music Context

owl

On the Ice
A discussion in another thread from last month sort of sparked my curiosity on this topic, so here goes: how important, in your opinion, is it for a program (competitive or EX) to capture the "background", so to speak, of a song or piece? The most obvious example is a song with lyrics, but this can also be applied to classical music and etc. For example, the third movement from Mahler's "Titan" is supposed to be a funeral march. Would you want a skater to incorporate that into his/her program, or is it fine if he/she interprets the music as he/she wishes? Personally, because I grew up listening to a lot of foreign music, I tend to focus more on melody than on anything else. So I'm completely okay with a program that may not match the music's original feeling/message, as long as the choreography still makes sense to a certain extent (i.e. if you're skating to happy music, be happy!). I will say, however, that if a skater chose to keep the lyrics rather than go for an instrumental version, I would be more inclined to want them to express some of the lyrics' message.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's very important. I mean they don't have to skate to translate the music 100%. But I think they need to capture the mood in a way.

I'm 100% pro-lyrics except for some circumstances in some mixes where it will be too awkward or if the lyrics are too explicit/awkward. However if they're using lyrics, they need to be up to the level of the lyrics in terms of power they exhibit. Another factor is that liking the song in the first place will be able to help in translating. The lyrics can't overpower the skater in a program or else all visual showing will be lost. So I think the skater should skate so that they overpower the song or at least be at level.

In interpretation, I agree, if it's a happy song, be happy. Facials and movements need to match up in some way or else it'll be like watching a fight while opera music is in the background. Like totally oxymoronic.

However, some songs lyric-wise can't be interpreted exactly into movement. But, the mood at least should be captured.

Like skating to theme songs from children's TV shows should be happy and like a child but not like a child at the same time. Give the sense of nostalgia and happiness and joy.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I think it depends on whether people know what the piece is about... I also tend to focus more on the melody and the general feel and mood, than the original intent. When I watch a performance, I never think too hard on what the music is originally supposed to convey and so I'm receptive to whatever interpretation the skater comes up with. Lyrics is tricky, because as a non native English speaker they play secondary role in what I listen to and half the time I simply don't pay attention to them, and sometime I don't even understand them. Sometimes, if the performance/choreography is not striking enough, those performances to songs with lyrics come across as downright boring to me. But I probably wouldn't mind if simeone skated to "Show Must Go On" and made it about something else than dying or if a pair made 1492 soundtrack into a dramatic relationshippy performance.

So basically I'm from the "screw the author, screw the origin, interpret as you will and if it's good, I'll enjoy and applaud originality" school.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Music just doesn't have the same meaning to everyone (regardless of the original creator's intent)... interpretation and feeling can be a very personal thing, only makes sense that skaters may interpret musical pieces in whichever way they feel suits them or the program. Taking an overly literal interpretation to any piece of music in skating is almost always a bad idea, IMO.

Of course, there are limits to what could be considered 'tolerable' -- I can't imagine a princessey & balletic program using heavy metal would ever fly with anybody.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think the original context of the music has to be important. Overused warhorse Romeo and Juliet is probably one of my favorites--but I don't think anyone who skates to it has to be playing Romeo and/or Juliet, as long as their movements go well with the music itself. All of the POTOs this season may have been less irritating if they were a little less literal. Telling a story is great, but I don't think the story the skater tells has to be identical to the story of the original musical context. Another example: Turandot. I'm in love with this music because of Shen and Zhao, but I have no idea what the original opera is about (although I'm googling now that I'm thinking about it). It doesn't really matter to me what the story is, however, when the performance captures the music itself.

If there are lyrics involved, it gets trickier, because words have an explicit meaning that music alone doesn't have.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Just go with the flow, they say:cool: As long as it's musical, its good for me, but reading above I can't help but shudder at the thought of anybody skating to something funeralistic. Br-r-r!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think the skaters have to find what is important to them to express about the music. Sometimes a background story can elicit a great role or character to play. Other times the music helps the skater tell a story about him or herself. I think both can be great. It's in how the athlete connects to the music. Some films have wonderful powerful music while the storyline from the film is obscure or more difficult to connect to. The Mission--I think--is one of these examples. Wonderful music, but the story in the film is A. not known by many people and B. has no major female characters. It really doesn't work well as a literal translation, IMO, particularly for a pairs or dance team. But the music is quite inspirational and has elicited wonderful programs. I think it's important for the skaters (and choreographer) to have a clear vision of what they wish to portray. Literal interpretations and figurative interpretations--both can be exceptional as long as the vision is clear and the athlete can tap into the emotion within the music.

That said, I do think that figurative interpretation is more difficult with a well known piece, particularly if you are using a portion of the lyrics that tells the original story. If you're going to skate Romeo & Juliet, the audience is going to assume you're trying to be one of those characters. I have also seen programs where I felt the character role didn't quite come off. Skating to "On My Own" with a peaceful smile on your face just doesn't fit the point of the song. And in Miss Saigon, watching little Satoko skate the role of a grown woman who has already had a child and is prepared to defend him with her life--it's jarring. A beautiful program, but every time the lyrics come on in that part of the music, I find myself taken out of the moment.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The great Toller Cranston had a lot to say on this subject. His view was the music should be a piece that will bring out the best in the skater - music that the skater may choose -but best if the music has meaning to the skater. Also he had a strong opinion of the use of props or items worn by the skater to enhance the program. I heard him state once that if a skater chooses to use such an item - like a hat or cape, etc. it should be worn through out the program. Makes sense.