Music Ideas for All Skaters | Golden Skate

Music Ideas for All Skaters

Lissy

Medalist
What music ideas do you guys have for some skaters? Short, long, and exhibition music. Realistic ones that you genuinly think that the skaters would excel at.

Some of mine:

Evan Lysacek
Short: Music from Shrek! I think that if he were to skate to some of the music from the soundtrack, that is not lyrical music, it would be awesome. And, of course, he would have to wear green and not black!
Long: Fireworks by Stravinsky
Exhibition: I'll Be by Edwin McCain

Kimmie Meissner
Short: Pavane For A Dead Princess by Ravel
Long: Music from the Chronicles of Narnia. I am thinking the songs "To Aslan's Camp," "The Battle" and "The Stone Table."
Exhibition: Ever Ever After by Carrie Underwood. I just think she would do well with this song.

I am not really good at stuff like this but I am interested in hearing some of your suggestions.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I can't wait! this is so fun.

Caroline zhang:

SP: Trois Gymnopedie (yes, it is slow but there are some skatable versions out there.)

LP: Rondo Caprissio. (she did the spanish theme very well last year.)

Evan Lyseack:

SP: Rhapsody in Blue

LP: Conquest of Paradise

Kimmie Meissner:

SP: La Mer

LP: The Matrix

Marai Nagau

SP: The Arabian Dance from the Nutcracker

LP: Swan Lake

Bebe:

SP: Pirates of the Carribean

LP: anything by Karl Jenkins

Last edited:

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I was actually thinking of starting a thread like this.........
so, thank you!!!!!!

Down to business:

Evan Lysacek

Pirates of the Caribbean/1812 Overature/William Tell Overature

Johnny Weir

Gettysburg/Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral

Rachael Flatt

Memoirs of a Geisha

Mao Asada

Galicia Flamenco/Caravan

Mirai Nagasu

Miss Saigon

Tanith and Ben

Libertango

Kimmie Messiner

I can picture her doing something jazzy.......

Dom/Shabs

ANYTHING BUT A WALTZ!!!!!!!!

Virtue/Moir

Time after Time

Wrlmy

Medalist
Exhibition: I'll Be by Edwin McCain

Has anyone skated to "I'll be"? I love that song so much!! I can see Evan skating beautifully and passionately to that song. If he does, more love to him:love:

Here are my suggestions:

Alissa Czisny:
SP: Giselle. Not the cut Angela Nikodinov used but the one Ekaterina Gordeeva used.
LP: Pride and Prejudice. Definitely her look. Serene, lyrical, beautiful.

Caroline Zhang:
SP: Memoir of Geisha. Beautiful music for a beautiful skater. I understand "Geisha" might seem inappropriate, but is it any more inapporpriate than Carmen, Salome, or Moulin Rouge?
LP: Tzigane by Ravel. Violin really suits her. Not too slow, not too fast.

Joannie Rochette:
SP: She's done Madonna and Jimi Hendrix. How about some Janis Joplin? Piece of my heart for Joannie.
LP: Something from The Tudors.

Yu-Na Kim:
SP: Chicago soundtrack, or something jazzy, retro, fun.
LP: Lord of the Ring soundtrack. If she dresses like Arwen, even better:biggrin:

Rachael Flatt:
SP: Conga. Fun!
LP: Amelie. Seems to perfectly suit her personality.

Mao Asada:
SP: Cancion del Mariachi from Desperado. Definitely something she hasn't done in the past, but I can see her having fun and being great.
LP: La dame aux Camelias. I fell in love with Aurelie Dupont watching this piece. And Mao and Chopin can't go wrong.

Brian Joubert:
SP: I heard he's keeping All for you. Good choice.
LP: Any Bryan Adams song.

And I'm waiting for any man to take on Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake. Who's man enough to go out there to skate half-naked?:biggrin:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ok, I'll give it a shot - mostly soundtracks:

Brian Joubert - the Bourne Identity (or the other two in the trilogy), From the Earth to the Moon (miniseries). Maybe X-Men (the first one).
Tomas Verner - Goodbye Lenin (same composer as Amelie, stylistically similar but not identical), Serenity.
Evan Lysacek - New World Symphony, LOTR: the Return of the King.
Daisuke Takahshi - Possibly Princess Mononoke.
Virtue/Moir - Maybe "Falling Slowly", the song that just won the Oscar.
Laura Lepisto - Girl with a Pearl Earing might work for her.
And one last maybe - Carolina Kostner: Enigma (2001 movie)

There are a lot of soundtracks that I really like but can't quite match with any current skater.

Also, I think one of the cooler things a skater can do is collaborate with a musician and having something composed especially, like Joubert's All for You, or to use something that's well-known in your country but not as much elsewhere.

Oh, and if any pairs or dance team ever does an exhibition to Carrie Underwood's Before he Cheats, complete with the girl going on the ice with a Louisville Slugger, I promise to love them forever :biggrin:.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
More from me (athough I woudl like to devote a special thread to each of these skaters).

Johnny Weir

SP: Conquest of Paradise

LP: Ave Maria (or maybe save this for the olympics)

Belbin and Agosto

Freedance: Summertime

Davis and White

Across the stars or the red violin or LOTR

McLaughlin and Brubaker

SP: My sweet and tender beast

LP: Concerto de Aranjez

ae9177

On the Ice
Ok, I'll give it a shot - mostly soundtracks:

Brian Joubert - the Bourne Identity (or the other two in the trilogy), From the Earth to the Moon (miniseries). Maybe X-Men (the first one).
Tomas Verner - Goodbye Lenin (same composer as Amelie, stylistically similar but not identical), Serenity.
Evan Lysacek - New World Symphony, LOTR: the Return of the King.
Daisuke Takahshi - Possibly Princess Mononoke.
Virtue/Moir - Maybe "Falling Slowly", the song that just won the Oscar.
Laura Lepisto - Girl with a Pearl Earing might work for her.
And one last maybe - Carolina Kostner: Enigma (2001 movie)

Very nice choice, did anyone skate to New World Symphony before? that's a great music for Evan Lysacek! :rock: 1812 Overature, 1492 - Conquest of Paradise, and Rhapsody in Blue suit him wonderfully too! :clap:

Evan skates to I'll be = :love:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Brian Joubert:
SP: I heard he's keeping All for you. Good choice.
LP: Any Bryan Adams song.

He was planning on keeping "All for you", but now he's changed his mind becasue he wants to try out something new before the Olympics. It's a shame because it's a beautiful program that he never skated to it's potential at important events (euros and worlds), but it's good that Brian wants to try out new stuff.
I'd like to see him skate to some techno or maby something powerful like "Requiem for a dream". Possibly Pirates of the Carribean, but I'm not sure if he'd enjoy it (a bit like 1492: gorgeouse program, bored Brian so he fell to pieces)

Daisuke Takahashi:
Something "modern" like Jean-Michel Jarre or something wierd.

Stephane Lambiel:
anything but "Cirque du Soleil"!!! if I see him skayte to something like that again I'm going to scream!

Johnny Weir
How about something by Edvin Marton like "Magic Stradivarius"?

Tomas Verner
Lord of the Rings (Brian could skate to that too!)

Alban Préaubert
Four seasons: I could just picture him wearing a 17th century costume while skating to spring!!!

Yu-Na Kim
"The Snowman" or "Colors of the wind"

Carolina Costner
Amelie Poulain or sarabande

Mao Asada
Vanessa Mae's Sabre Dance

Delobel & Schoenfelder
Kitaro's Kiotoshi or something by Mylene Farmer

Domnina & Shabalin
The Nutcracker's Russian dance

Belbin & Agosto
some sort of Tango

jyshin

On the Ice
Why not slow music?

SP: Trois Gymnopedie (yes, it is slow but there are some skatable versions out there.)

I am wondering if you implied slow music is kinda difficult to skate... if so... I am
just curious... why is it hard to skate to slow music?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I thought of another one: The Motorcycle Diaries score. There are tracks there that would work really well for Lambiel and some that would be great for Jeffrey Buttle.

jyshin

On the Ice
I thought of another one: The Motorcycle Diaries score. There are tracks there that would work really well for Lambiel...

I don't know why I am all over Lambiel today... but can't resist to say his looks remind me of Ché Guevara!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am wondering if you implied slow music is kinda difficult to skate... if so... I am
just curious... why is it hard to skate to slow music?

I just meant that the original version is very slow and graceful, a bit difficult to jump too, and especially in the light of everybody saying how slow Caroline skates...

Bennett

Record Breaker
For Meryl Davis and Charlie White!

Rachmaninov's piano transcription of Mendelssohn's "Scherzo" from A Midsummer Night's Dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIq1b9CopJg

J.S.Bach "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVh0-jenY6s&feature=related

Bartok "Romanian Dance"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHZt6ITdSto

They are all beautiful pieces of music played so beautifully. Thanks for sharing.

I especially loved Bartok's dance piece. She has great interpretations here.

Last edited:

jyshin

On the Ice
I especially loved Bartok's dance piece. She has great interpretations here.

There is something about the violin sound that works for figure skating... that I kept thinking ever since the Red Violin post...

BTW I think the Red Violin is for Johnny Weir! He is my violin man:cool:

Bennett

Record Breaker
There is something about the violin sound that works for figure skating... that I kept thinking ever since the Red Violin post...

BTW I think the Red Violin is for Johnny Weir! He is my violin man:cool:

That's a good idea. Johnny's sensitive atmosphere would go well with violin.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I really like the soundtrack of Winged Migration but am not sure who could make it work. Maybe Del/Schoe, but they're retiring from what I understand.

Also, I think Jeffrey Buttle should try other Mychael Danna scores, since Ararat worked very well for him. Maybe The Sweet Hereafter? Though I'm note sure how skateable that one would be.