Nathan Chen | Page 1004 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Honestly, Nathan is not late getting choreo, late would be almost September or even late Aug.

If he's going to work with Shae-Lynn she's in the US.

Benoit has been travelling to the US from time to time to give choreography in NJ to some pairs, etc.

LutzDance

On the Ice
I think it could be argued that obtaining choreography is essential for his participation in SCI.

I think TSL said Vincent was doing Cranberry. Did they say Yaro, too? They said Nathan will do US Classic.
I took the second clause to mean organizing staff. Re: TSL, they probably know as much as we do and are just making educated guesses, as these events are still open for registration and some skaters still haven’t made up their mind AFAIK.

But I think it will be even easier to enter Canada from today when the new rules take effect (but you have to be fully vaccinated). I didn't actually check myself but got an email from our travel folks (I sometimes travel to Vancouver for work). Yes, Yaro, too.
Thanks for the clarification!

Ella5555

On the Ice
I don‘t know if the Classic has been confirmed yet, but if it has, early autumn could look like this for Nathan:

FS Classic: September 15-18
Japan Open: October 2 (assuming Japan will allow foreign athletes to compete)
Skate America: October 20-24
Skate Canada: October 29-31

I am curious if Nathan will have SLB choreograph the free, but we may not know that for a while. Of course, if he goes elsewhere for his choreography, we may get a picture or two.

sheetz

Record Breaker

sheetz

Record Breaker
From what I gather on twitter the Honda siblings were on a Japanese TV program today watching video of 2019 ATS. During their discussion they mentioned a few things about Nathan:

1. He likes watermelon a lot.
2. When he does his run thrus he normally doesn't make mistakes.
3. When not skating he's busy doing schoolwork on his computer.

journalist101

On the Ice
TSL with a rumor about him bringing back Nemesis and a classical program for the free. Not sure, how reliable they are or if it’s even true.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Based on interviews it sounds like Nathan has two new programs but I could see him bringing back Nemesis as an EX. It seems like TSL was hinting at Mozart for the FS?

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Based on interviews it sounds like Nathan has two new programs but I could see him bringing back Nemesis as an EX. It seems like TSL was hinting at Mozart for the FS?
I doubt he'll bring back Nemesis. Nathan rarely repeats programs, and that program has some bad blood associated with it. I hope his free isn't Mozart. He seems to do better with modern music, whether classical or lyrical. Please be wrong, SL!

sheetz

Record Breaker
I don't think he will bring back Nemesis but it has nothing to do with bad memories/blood. It's just that he seems to get bored doing old programs. Regarding Mozart, many people have loved his classical programs in the past, including ones by Chopin and Vivaldi, so I wouldn't rule that out.
----------------------------------
More details from the Honda siblings show.
Taichi says he was there when Nathan was doing choreography. Normally, when skaters learn choreo they leave out things like jumps and spins, but Nathan does them all from the start and doesn't miss.
Sara tells them that Nathan does back flips even during his regular practice sessions.
Marin recalls him eating bucket sized containers of watermelon. Taichi thinks he eats roughly an entire watermelon every day!
They say he studies hard, too. He'll do some jumps, then go to his computer and do schoolwork, then do a runthru, then back to the computer.
But Taichi brags that he's beaten Nathan in bowling. They've never met in competition so Taichi has a 1-0 undefeated career record against Nathan!
---------------------------------
Nathan and Andrew taking a photo with Mexican coach.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
I doubt he'll bring back Nemesis. Nathan rarely repeats programs, and that program has some bad blood associated with it. I hope his free isn't Mozart. He seems to do better with modern music, whether classical or lyrical. Please be wrong, SL!
I disagree that he does better with modern than classical. He currently appears to prefer modern but as one of the most versatile skaters out there, he has done equally well with both. Also classical is an extremely broad category.

shine

Record Breaker
On a sadder note, he just had to wear my least fav costume of his of all time for the Oly promo. It also happens to remind me that he’s most likely going back to VW this season. It was so nice when the pandemic separated them 😭

Last edited:

LutzDance

On the Ice
I just find it hilarious that TSL would spend so much energy spying on Nathan’s training and pretending to know so much about him yet wouldn’t even bother to watch an interview with valuable information. That being said, they (or their sources) probably did see him training those programs and are unlikely to be totally off. If he’s really going for Mozart I think it’d be a good vehicle for some contemporary ballet style choreography. Similar approach is applicable to other classical music too.

luckyu2

On the Ice
Nemesis is out of the question but Mozart for the free is possible although it kinda alters the formula he has for lp for the past few seasons. So in a way it is more challenging.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Supposedly he wanted Mozart for his 2017-18 FS, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if it finally ends up happening.

Not so sure about Nemesis though - he could have been practicing it for other reasons. He has done this program many times across competitions and shows, and it was better than ever the last time we saw it, two years ago at ATS.