Nathan Chen | Page 943 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

FanOfallSkaters

Spectator
New article about the ISP challenge. Our boy got his prize money as well as some feedback about programs, and probably costumes 😂 😂

Nathan part

Nathan Chen, the two-time reigning World champion who trains at the same rink as Bell in Irvine, California, noted that it felt more like an exhibition or Champs Camp, but was still a great experience.

He topped the men's field with a 315.32 total, followed by five-time U.S. medalist Jason Brown (268.31), 2020 U.S. bronze medalist Tomoki Hiwatashi (244.76) and Alex Krasnozhon(219.46).

"Given that it's so early in the season and given that we won't have many competition opportunities, this is a great idea from U.S. Figure Skating, and they implemented it quite well," Chen said. "I don't think anyone had any issues with how it was set up or the proctors or recording or anything, so it was a pretty trustworthy event."

All skaters had two opportunities to skate both of their programs, and their top-scoring total from either the first or second opportunity counted as their final overall score. While some chose to only compete once, Chen felt it was a no-brainer to enter both times. His first opportunity ended up being his winning score.

Skating his short program to "Asturia" by Frida Lopez and "Cancion del Mariachi" by Los Lobos, and his free skate to a medley by Philip Glass, the 2018 Olympian is used to announcing his program music before his first competition, but without a Champs Camp this year to solicit feedback from U.S. Figure Skating and judges, he chose not to say anything until judges saw it through the Points Challenge, which meant fans found out at the same time.

"I saw comments before I even talked to the judges, which was weird," he said. "But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. At the end of the day I want to be aware of what people are saying, what fans are saying, but the decision still remains within my coaching team. … Overall there's positives and negatives. I think the negative comments that I have received are actually quite helpful because they're much more quantifiable and I can actually apply them to my skating."
Happy ISP found a way for skaters to skate and earn much needed pay. Happy for Nathan 1st place☺️

zebobes

Final Flight
Hi I’m new. Usually just watch on tv but need to talk about skating now. I wasn’t sure if skating would survive😢l like all skaters but Nathan is special. I’m so in awe how he came back from such serious injury to be Star he is today. I like his music but I would love for him to skate to this, music only version

Imagine footwork to these drum beats. What do you guys think? Love reading posts here.

Welcome, Fan! I think that Shawn Mendes's new song is fun, but I think it is a little too "emo" to be a good fit for Nathan. I find Nathan to be slightly more cerebral, because if you compare it with Nemesis, one of his signature pieces, while it does have a rhythmic pop feel, I think it comes from a slightly different origin.

This, however, is just my opinion. Thanks for sharing yours!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi I’m new. Usually just watch on tv but need to talk about skating now. I wasn’t sure if skating would survive😢l like all skaters but Nathan is special. I’m so in awe how he came back from such serious injury to be Star he is today. I like his music but I would love for him to skate to this, music only version

Imagine footwork to these drum beats. What do you guys think? Love reading posts here.
Skating has survived through much worse.

That music would be more fitting for someone else such as Kevin Aymoz. I also agree with @zebobes that Nathan needs more cerebral.

1111bm

Final Flight
Nathan along with other US skaters like Alysa will be competing in the Las Vegas Invitational team event Nov 23 (Japan time). Sounds like it's being produced by a Japanese TV station.

I hope it will actually take place, it would be so nice to see Nathan skate another event. 🥰
I wonder if participants will skate both SP and FS, or just one of them?
Also curious which other US skaters will compete?

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker

Ella5555

On the Ice

sheetz

Record Breaker
Sushi restaurant chain Kura Sushi has announced they will be placing billboards at SA and IdF (RIP). In their PR they mentioned the popularity of skaters such as Rika, Shoma, and Nathan among the reasons for doing so.

The SA event program is now available online. Given the safety protocols in place I suspect that Nathan drove to LV all by himself (although I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the phone the entire way).

figskatefan

Rinkside
Sushi restaurant chain Kura Sushi has announced they will be placing billboards at SA and IdF (RIP). In their PR they mentioned the popularity of skaters such as Rika, Shoma, and Nathan among the reasons for doing so.

The SA event program is now available online. Given the safety protocols in place I suspect that Nathan drove to LV all by himself (although I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the phone the entire way).
Thanks for sharing the event program. Too bad mom couldn’t attend. She was there last year.