Nathan Chen

figskatefan

Rinkside
I missed the scrolling text. Guess she couldn’t contain herself. Does anyone know if there’s a name for the jump (where one leg goes over the other) right before the final combo sit spin in the SP. I think that’s a new move for NC, right?
Speaking of Philip Glass, the rhythmic part in the LP sounds like something from his opera Akhenaten.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I missed the scrolling text. Guess she couldn’t contain herself. Does anyone know if there’s a name for the jump (where one leg goes over the other) right before the final combo sit spin in the SP. I think that’s a new move for NC, right?
I don't know if it has an official name, but it seems to be something spreading amongst the young US men. Torgashev is the first I remember doing it, followed by Hiwatashi.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Does anyone know if there’s a name for the jump (where one leg goes over the other) right before the final combo sit spin in the SP. I think that’s a new move for NC, right?
Single lutz with a hitch kick added - Torgashev and Hiwatashi do it too sometimes with either a flip or lutz entry. El Henry calls it the Flying Torg, after her favourite skater and Ted Barton calls it a 'whirly' but admits he doesn't know what it's called). I've seen Nathan do it in exhibitions but this is its first appearance in one of his competitive programmes. His is very graceful :)

Edit: In martial arts there is something similar called a tornado kick.

Ella5555

Rinkside
I love his new programs - both suit him well - and both contain unique elements, such as the aforementioned single lutz with hitch kick (or whatever one wants to call it) and even the arm movement in the spread eagle at the beginning of the way-to-short choreo sequence. There are “little gems” everywhere as Kurt Browning said of one of his programs several years ago.

Last edited:

luckyu2

Rinkside
Enjoyed both programs. I do like sp a bit more. Love love fp music choice and I hope ChSq will be refined and it does feel a bit short. Technically, he is in a good form for the beginning of season. Does anyone know if SA will be held in person without audience?

figskatefan

Rinkside
I love his new programs - both suit him well - and both contain unique elements, such as the aforementioned single lutz with hitch kick (or whatever one wants to call it) and even the arm movement in the spread eagle at the beginning of the way-to-short choreo sequence. There are “little gems” everywhere as Kurt Browning said of one of his programs several years ago.
Kurt Browning did the commentary for the 2015 jr worlds FS for CBC, where he made the “little gems” comment. NC skated to Chopin Piano Concert #1, & it’s one of my favorite FS of his. He was so balletic & was only 15. He didn’t win due to a subpar SP.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Anyone think Nathan's going to enter the second round of the ISP Points Challenge? Maybe fix some things or alter the layout. Perhaps try a 4Lo.
The preparation and entry into the 1st jump is longer than usual; not sure if he can get it done by next month but I think his goal is to start with a quad loop.

I actually think (and hope) he's building up to a 4Lo 4F3T 4Lz 4S 4TEu3F 4T3T 3A program.

LutzDance

Spectator
I've been watching and re-watching Nathan's new programs since they came out, and wow I still can't get over them. I'm always moved by how authentically he expresses the music; his movements seem to be rooted in something inside himself, rather than recited from a book or gilded on the surface in order to please the audience. And such beautiful performances were delivered with the level of tech content that was not too much worse than what he won his 2019 Worlds title with. How blessed I am to be a Nathan fan 😇

bonita

Final Flight
Nathan is in this “TheNew“ Asian vote Campaign video, almost at the end.

He also showed up in the TeamToyota IG story today, the 2nd one

Skate America update

”USFigureskating announces that #SkateAmerica will be held without fans in the arena: "In strict accordance with the Nevada Gaming Control Board guidelines." No shock here, but officially official. GP assignment lists set to come out as early as next Wednesday.”
https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/1309537238154383361?s=20

The longest Nathan drought officially ended on Tuesday. Look for a great season ahead for Nathan. Looks like he has a great start.

Maybe sheetz would have a preview of 4lo at SkAm 😆

ETA: check out his IG story for a preview of the New Team Raf anime 😂
https://twitter.com/aboutNathan0505/status/1309550232837922816?s=20

Last edited:

1111bm

Final Flight
So will Japan Open be broadcast this saturday, or is that just the date where the competition and gala takes place and the broadcast happens on another date?
(yes I'm too lazy to search for the information myself, because it's gonna be in japanese and difficult to find and make sense of :/)

1111bm

Final Flight
Thank you!
I wonder if they're just gonna reuse the video from ISP to show the SP. 😄 (I hope not... but I also think he'd rather skate a mistake-free version for JO, so maybe only include a 4T?)
Judging by his IG post, it also didn't look like he bothered with a costume, even if only a provisional one. 🤭😌
Or maybe a very simple black top and skating pants type-of-thing? But maybe the photo was taken afterwards, who knows...

Last edited:

1111bm

Final Flight
Hm, I don't know, I was thinking something more tight-fitting? I'm not feeling the puffy sleeves for this music, I'd rather see a sleek, possibly all-black, version of a mariachi costume, a tight short jacket, kind of like Misha's Carmen costume from a few seasons ago, but with a shorter top (but not too costume-y, I would hate for it to look like a silly carnival costume).

A flowy top with wider sleeves would work beautifully for his LP, kind of like the blue blouse from early MLD. But Vera doesn't do flowy, so unless he gets a temporary non-Vera costume, which happens to be flowy, I sadly don't see that happening.

(but honestly, if he were to choose simple black pants and a longsleeve, like he did in 2016 at Finlandia Trophy, I would love that too, I don't really care for a proper costume, I just love the look of comfy, simple clothes *shrug. Although I have to say, his Nike sportswear looks a bit too baggy/oversized on him ;P)