Nathan Chen | Page 970 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

shine

Record Breaker
But I don't think Jeremy's style is one that would suit Nathan, I don't think it is sth. he would enjoy. Actually Nathan has his own style, and what I like about his Shae-Lynn programs for instance, is how she manages to highlight that.

What do you think is Jeremy's style and why it doesn't suit Nathan?

sheetz

Record Breaker
Yale professor Dr. Craig Wright discusses aspects of genius and shares what Nathan said to him about talent vs hard work. Nathan's part begins at 10:50.

figskatefan

Rinkside
Yale professor Dr. Craig Wright discusses aspects of genius and shares what Nathan said to him about talent vs hard work. Nathan's part begins at 10:50.
Nathan says 80% nature & 20% nurture & his mom says the opposite. I’m agree with mom.

figskatefan

Rinkside
Nathan says 80% nature & 20% nurture & his mom says the opposite. I’m agree with mom.
Included in the 80% nature are mental abilities: ability to be calm in face of stress, & ability to internally strategize and course correct during competition. I’m not sure that these mental abilities can’t be learned.

alexaa

Final Flight
Last edited by a moderator:

1111bm

Final Flight
What do you think is Jeremy's style and why it doesn't suit Nathan?
I’m actually not familiar with much of Jeremy’s work, so I’m obviously only basing this on the few programs that I’ve seen at some point (his LoA EX, Exogenesis LP, Lilies of the Valley SP and Sing Sing Sing SP).

Jeremy’s choreo and execution look more classic and sleek to me, and I think he skates with more gravitas than Nathan, whose movements and choreo tend to look more relaxed and free imo.

Jeremy reminds me more of someone like Jason (comparing Exogenesis to Jason’s The Piano program or Sing Sing Sing to Jason’s Juke or Hamilton program). Their programs look well-rehearsed and polished, everything feels very deliberate and is very ‚performance-like’.
And when I watch Jeremy skate I can’t help thinking this is someone who aims to present himself as artistic and meaningful (which kind of takes me out of it). He's really savouring and emphasising every choreographic gesture that he does.
Nathan otoh feels more lively and for me personally more natural I guess? I don't get the sense that he's 'presenting himself' the way I do with Jeremy.

Comparing Nathan’s Chattanooga Choo Choo to Jeremy’s Sing Sing Sing it’s actually a similar style, so it’s not like Nathan can’t or won't do it, but that was a long time ago and he’s since developed his own movement vocabulary. By the time he did Caravan f.i., which was also a program a bit in a similar vein, it felt a lot more casual and individual, even though many of the movements were certainly given to him by Shae and had to be rehearsed.

I don't know any of Jeremy's work as a choreographer, except for his programs for Gracie, which I think are t...... 🙊 and I wouldn't want any of that for Nathan. :slink:

Of course, I can't know what he's capable of, but so far I haven't seen any examples that would make me think he might be a good fit for Nathan.

Last edited:

figskatefan

Rinkside
Maybe Nathan is basing this on his training mates who may work hard but don't get the same results?
There are very talented hardworking skaters who don’t perform their best in competition. That’s where Nathan’s mental toughness has it over most others and keeps him consistenc. Raf said that Nathan’s mind was his strongest asset. Nathan did include mental assets as part of the 80% nature.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Up Again guest revealed

The two-time World Champion will be skating onto your screens for the first ever episode of The #UpAgain Show.

Get to know this skating legend on a whole new level as we delve into the details of the life of Nathan Chen. ⛸🎵🏀

Quick fire questions, #UpAgain challenges, and so much more. You don’t want to miss it!

1111bm

Final Flight
That hair depresses me… (I know, I know, superficial)

Anyone else think next time he’s in Japan and is a guest on another TV show, now they'll for sure drag him to a Karaoke place? 😅
The Ramen ‚excursion‘ surely was more enjoyable for him, lol.

Loved what he said about the type of costumes that he likes ‚being interesting in their own right without forcing themselves to be interesting‘. I agree (this is strictly about the designs, not a comment on the fit). This is also kind of a good description of his style of skating/performing. ;)

sheetz

Record Breaker
I appreciated that some of the questions and answers were slightly different than what we have heard in the past and therefore liked the interview more than I thought it would. Agree that Romain's segment was cute!

sheetz

Record Breaker
USFS has made the entire Skating Magazine archives free to the public in honor of its 100 year anniversary celebration.

Check out this adorable spotlight on 3 year old Nathan Chen
Age: 3 Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah Home club: Salt Lake City Sports Complex FSC Favorite skaters: Scott Hamilton. I know him from books and videos. How I got started skating: One day my mom let me try walking on the ice while we were waiting for my brothers at their hockey lesson, and I loved it. I ran through the learn-to-skate program to Basic 4. Then I started private lessons because other skaters in my group were two or three times taller than me. How long I've been skating: Almost half a year. How often I skate: An hour a day. I take lessons from my coach Stephanee Grosscup once a week. Favorite jumps/moves: Spins and spirals. I often laugh at my falls, but I'll cry if it hurts. What I like about skating: I just love to skate. I feel happy on the ice. I love to race around the rink with anyone who wants to. It's so much fun. Favorite skating moments: Skating shows at last year's Olympic Opening Ceremony. I've watched the tape many times, and I can sing LeAnn Rimes' song from the ceremony. Goals: To be an Olympic skater. Accomplishments: I won a gold medal in the Utah Winter Games last January. That was my first competition. I was in the Snowplow Sam section. What else you should know about me: I love singing, dancing, jumping and playing chess.

1111bm

Final Flight
More bothered by the liberal use of hair product rather than the length #setthecurlsfree hahaha
😄 Yeah, I actually love the long curls framing his face like in Marin's recent video, it's so much fun, but sadly that length is impractical for skating and it seems it's only his I-didn't-style-my-hair-today do.

(it's mostly the long hair at his neck and at the sides sticking out that's a no for me... it doesn't even go with the slicked back hairdo that he apparently enjoys so much, so I don't get it)

I actually think the curly hairdo is like a part of his costumes (or non-costumes for some ppl :rolleyes:), it's really enhancing his performances. Remember how it went so well with his fun Caravan character, they even added a shake of his head/curls in the step sequence that was actually part of the choreo. Or I remember watching MLD at Rostelecom Cup, and how I felt that the curls were adding to the overall shapes and lines of his body, plus they also enhanced the sort of flowy style of that program.

Last edited:

lurkz2

On the Ice
😄 Yeah, I actually love the long curls framing his face like in Marin's recent video, it's so much fun, but sadly that length is impractical for skating and it seems it's only his I-didn't-style-my-hair-today do.
I actually think the free curls are his everyday look. So far I have only seen them slicked back for major interviews (like Nick McCarvel and Olympic Channel, but not for Kaitlyn and Jean Luck), competitions and his sister's wedding.

IMHO the free curls are a better look Nathan hehehe.