Nathan Chen

1111bm

Final Flight
Exogenesis is a warhorse and Nathan doesn't do them
To be fair, marie.francoise said "a program along the lines of Jeremy's Exogenesis" and not the exact song.

But I don't think Jeremy's style is one that would suit Nathan, I don't think it is sth. he would enjoy. Actually Nathan has his own style, and what I like about his Shae-Lynn programs for instance, is how she manages to highlight that.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan's official website home page has been updated to include Jackson Ultima logo alongside Nike and Toyota

Also photos from Nats

Regarding warhorses, I don't think it's so much Nathan having a policy of not using them but rather his choreographers encouraging him to try new things. And judging by his body of work he's clearly capable of moving far beyond the usual musical mainstays used by most skaters.

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan talks about his "why's"

For Russian speakers, this is the podcast Nathan mentioned in his IGS. First one features Stasya Konstantinova, who has trained with Raf in the past. She apparently gives her impressions of Raf and Nathan at 47:27

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be fair, marie.francoise said "a program along the lines of Jeremy's Exogenesis" and not the exact song.

But I don't think Jeremy's style is one that would suit Nathan, I don't think it is sth. he would enjoy. Actually Nathan has his own style, and what I like about his Shae-Lynn programs for instance, is how she manages to highlight that.

I agree about the Nathan's unique style. For me, it's a laid back, cool, carefree but controlled vibe. I like it a lot.

I know people get worked up about costumes, but I think his choices suit his personality. They're straightforward, not fussy.

sheetz

Record Breaker

shine

Record Breaker

What do you think is Jeremy's style and why it doesn't suit Nathan?

sheetz

Record Breaker
Yale professor Dr. Craig Wright discusses aspects of genius and shares what Nathan said to him about talent vs hard work. Nathan's part begins at 10:50.

figskatefan

Rinkside
Yale professor Dr. Craig Wright discusses aspects of genius and shares what Nathan said to him about talent vs hard work. Nathan's part begins at 10:50.
Nathan says 80% nature & 20% nurture & his mom says the opposite. I’m agree with mom.

figskatefan

Rinkside
Nathan says 80% nature & 20% nurture & his mom says the opposite. I’m agree with mom.
Included in the 80% nature are mental abilities: ability to be calm in face of stress, & ability to internally strategize and course correct during competition. I’m not sure that these mental abilities can’t be learned.

bonita

Final Flight

1111bm

Final Flight
What do you think is Jeremy's style and why it doesn't suit Nathan?
I’m actually not familiar with much of Jeremy’s work, so I’m obviously only basing this on the few programs that I’ve seen at some point (his LoA EX, Exogenesis LP, Lilies of the Valley SP and Sing Sing Sing SP).

Jeremy’s choreo and execution look more classic and sleek to me, and I think he skates with more gravitas than Nathan, whose movements and choreo tend to look more relaxed and free imo.

Jeremy reminds me more of someone like Jason (comparing Exogenesis to Jason’s The Piano program or Sing Sing Sing to Jason’s Juke or Hamilton program). Their programs look well-rehearsed and polished, everything feels very deliberate and is very ‚performance-like’.
And when I watch Jeremy skate I can’t help thinking this is someone who aims to present himself as artistic and meaningful (which kind of takes me out of it). He's really savouring and emphasising every choreographic gesture that he does.
Nathan otoh feels more lively and for me personally more natural I guess? I don't get the sense that he's 'presenting himself' the way I do with Jeremy.

Comparing Nathan’s Chattanooga Choo Choo to Jeremy’s Sing Sing Sing it’s actually a similar style, so it’s not like Nathan can’t or won't do it, but that was a long time ago and he’s since developed his own movement vocabulary. By the time he did Caravan f.i., which was also a program a bit in a similar vein, it felt a lot more casual and individual, even though many of the movements were certainly given to him by Shae and had to be rehearsed.

I don't know any of Jeremy's work as a choreographer, except for his programs for Gracie, which I think are t...... 🙊 and I wouldn't want any of that for Nathan. :slink:

Of course, I can't know what he's capable of, but so far I haven't seen any examples that would make me think he might be a good fit for Nathan.

Last edited:

figskatefan

Rinkside
Maybe Nathan is basing this on his training mates who may work hard but don't get the same results?
There are very talented hardworking skaters who don’t perform their best in competition. That’s where Nathan’s mental toughness has it over most others and keeps him consistenc. Raf said that Nathan’s mind was his strongest asset. Nathan did include mental assets as part of the 80% nature.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Up Again guest revealed

The two-time World Champion will be skating onto your screens for the first ever episode of The #UpAgain Show.

Get to know this skating legend on a whole new level as we delve into the details of the life of Nathan Chen. ⛸🎵🏀

Quick fire questions, #UpAgain challenges, and so much more. You don’t want to miss it!

1111bm

Final Flight
That hair depresses me… (I know, I know, superficial)

Anyone else think next time he’s in Japan and is a guest on another TV show, now they'll for sure drag him to a Karaoke place? 😅
The Ramen ‚excursion‘ surely was more enjoyable for him, lol.

Loved what he said about the type of costumes that he likes ‚being interesting in their own right without forcing themselves to be interesting‘. I agree (this is strictly about the designs, not a comment on the fit). This is also kind of a good description of his style of skating/performing. ;)