Nathan Chen | Page 987 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

LutzDance

On the Ice
I also like the original choreography better and still think the ISP1 version is the best performance of this SP. I'm particularly bothered by how the hands-on-the-hips choreography at 18" is out of beat now. But there're also pluses in today's performance - I love how energetic and happy he looked 😄 The little head bop at 1'30" and the mischievous smile preceding it, the little laugh he had after saving a shaky 4T3T, the beautiful solo 4F, and KC interactions with JL are just priceless.

1111bm

Final Flight
Yeah, I really enjoyed the playful cockiness. He's really good at it, because he keeps it light and fun, so it doesn't come across pompous or vain.

Yuzu's save on the 3A reminded me of Nathan's 4F save during the GPF 2017 free skate, anyone remember that one? 😄 Although Yuzuru's 'illusion' was even closer to the ice.

Last edited:

figskatefan

Rinkside
I agree. I liked his earlier step sequences better, the pose 2 claps, the shoulder shimmies. Not sure why he changed it since I thought those went well with the music.

LutzDance

On the Ice
Yeah, I really enjoyed the playful cockiness. He's really good at it, because he keeps it light and fun, so it doesn't come across pompous or vain.
Agree. It's giving me a bit of 19 Worlds Caravan energy. Just a bit because Caravan was a lot wilder 😂

Also forgot to mention - I'm glad we finally got to see Nathan nailing his short after a clean-ish Yuzu. Granted it's a low stake competition and Nathan himself said he's here for the fun, but I still hope it taught him something about how to go into that zone that's imperturbable by others' performances.

1111bm

Final Flight
I agree. I liked his earlier step sequences better, the pose 2 claps, the shoulder shimmies. Not sure why he changed it since I thought those went well with the music.
Not sure this was the reason they changed it, but there were complaints that the clapping was a flamenco element and that it was the wrong genre of music/style. Personally I don't actually miss it, I like both versions.

But there's other things that I thought were better in the earlier versions: The sequence of BI 3-turn-pose-running steps right at the beginning of the step sequence was much more dynamic and exciting. The inverted choctaw after his Twizzle, with its delayed look, fit the guitar sound better and looked more interesting. And of course the Lutz kick added a somewhat more 'wild' element at the conclusion of the step sequence.

figskatefan

Rinkside
I also like the original choreography better and still think the ISP1 version is the best performance of this SP. I'm particularly bothered by how the hands-on-the-hips choreography at 18" is out of beat now. But there're also pluses in today's performance - I love how energetic and happy he looked 😄 The little head bop at 1'30" and the mischievous smile preceding it, the little laugh he had after saving a shaky 4T3T, the beautiful solo 4F, and KC interactions with JL are just priceless.
You could tell he was relaxed and enjoying himself. That helps him perform the choreography rather than stress over his jumps, which, of course, are so hard. I liked the ISP1 version, too. In the Tara, Johnny, Tanith broadcast on NBCSN, they commented that this was the best performance of the SP. As annoying as Tara & Johnny can be, they’re still more knowledgeable than Simon on the Peacock broadcast.

luckyu2

On the Ice
Neither of the performances are my favorites this season but I am glad he got the job done and enjoyed himself. Now it’s about the time to start dreaming about the new programs which is always fun for me.

shine

Record Breaker
I thought the performance was pretty good? The spins were pretty good this time too. The only thing that was subpar was the singled flip? And of course his landings can always been smoother and held out longer, but that’s not a criticism specific to the this performance :p

luckyu2

On the Ice
I thought the performance was pretty good? The spins were pretty good this time too. The only thing that was subpar was the singled flip? And of course his landings can always been smoother and held out longer, but that’s not a criticism specific to the this performance :p
I actually enjoyed the spins and step sequence today. Can someone explain why the stsq was only level 3?

1111bm

Final Flight
I totally agree. I thought he looked relaxed and at ease, and it felt like he really enjoyed skating his program, and I enjoyed watching him skate like that.
And I actually liked both his step and choreo sequence + ending pose better than at Worlds, I think... (I have only gotten around to watch it once so far), they seemed more crisp and distinct.
I noticed his timing relative to the music was slightly off in maybe 2-3 instances, but it wasn't super jarring or anything.

My only real complaint is: Not enough interaction with JLB! 😇😄

1111bm

Final Flight
As for the jumps, I didn't mind the mistakes, he was still pretty clean. I just don't think this layout works as well as some of the other ones he's skated this season.

I feel the 4Lz works better as a first jump, something about the pattern straight down the rink and the way he takes a moment to collect himself and deepen his outside edge and then explodes into the air feels more impressive and magical, than his Flip approach (that goes for everyone of his long programs actually).

Also I would've way prefered the old spreadeagle into 3Lo instead of the first 3A, but impressed that he managed to include a 3A, his most unreliable jump, in a spot where he hasn't done one all season long, and after having only practiced it for what, 1-2 weeks? (and to succeed at two 3As in one program too)

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
How can people complain that he doesn't have "dancers posture" or what ever the current buzzword is. His arm and core movements are so fluid and this Free is fantastic at showcasing it, it's the thing that initially drew me to him back in 2017 😭

Anyway, congrats to the king for another nice end to the season!

Gilligan

On the Ice
How can people complain that he doesn't have "dancers posture" or what ever the current buzzword is. His arm and core movements are so fluid and this Free is fantastic at showcasing it, it's the thing that initially drew me to him back in 2017 😭

Anyway, congrats to the king for another nice end to the season!
He does hunch his shoulders sometimes. But the way he carries his arms and hands and the general fluidity of his movements as you say is so beautiful. That's why I like his skating.

Also, some skaters pay a lot of attention to the upper body but from the hip down, their leg line, toe point, etc. lack that sense of harmonious flow I see in Nathan's skating. Sometimes the skater has a flattering line of neck, shoulder and arms but the effort to maintain that is very noticeable, to the point where the skater seems to be too tense, almost clenched. Nathan makes beautiful positions look natural and effortless--it's a flow, not a series of freeze frames.

For me the lack of shoulder hunching in the step sequence from Worlds is the most beautiful thing about that performance--it's part of the freedom and ease present throughout. The effortless jumps are no doubt more difficult to achieve, but I know what I enjoy most. 😍

sheetz

Record Breaker
Knew he would have a solid skate but he looked a little tired from the start. Even got a 'q' on one of his 4Ts. At least we now get to see him in the KnC not doing his homework!

Last edited:

Gilligan

On the Ice
CoyoteChris mentioned in the Nationals thread that the schedule is now updated, and you can now purchase tickets if you are USFS member or past ticket buyer, even if you are not a Friend of figure skating. It'll open to general public on April 19.

Schedule

Tuesday, Jan. 4

Junior Short Programs/Rhythm

Wednesday, Jan. 5
Junior Free Skates/Dance

Thursday, Jan. 6
Championship Pairs Short Program
Championship Ladies Short Program

Friday, Jan. 7
Championship Rhythm Dance
Championship Ladies Free Skate

Saturday, Jan. 8
Championship Men’s Free Skate
Championship Pairs Free Skate
Championship Free Dance

Sunday, Jan. 9
Championship Men’s Free Skate
Skating Spectacular

Future Ticket Sales
Championship Weekend ticket package - On-sale Spring 2021
Single-session tickets - On-sale Summer 2021

I’m assuming that’s a typo and men SP is Saturday. Not sure why they want the men to do gala right after quad filled FS. In an Olympic year, especially, why put extra demands on the men like that?

alexaa

Final Flight
Knew he would have a solid skate but he looked a little tired from the start. Even got a 'q' on one of his 4Ts. At least we now get to see him in the KnC not doing his homework!

Nathan looked tired to me in the OP session in morning.

Brief interview on Japanese TV

Cute moment with Yuzuru

Raf about Nathan competing in WTT without him

Last edited by a moderator:

journalist101

On the Ice
Apparently, Nathan will be on Ice Stream and speaking Russian at 13:00 Moscow Time.

Gilligan

On the Ice
Apparently, Nathan will be on Ice Stream and speaking Russian at 13:00 Moscow Time.

??? I read that Maxim Kovtun taught him a swear word, which he used to reply to Kovtun after the short at Stockholm Worlds. Can anyone say something reassuring about his Russian vocabulary? :laugh: