NBC Sports Gold - 2020-2021 Season Pass | Page 3 | Golden Skate

NBC Sports Gold - 2020-2021 Season Pass

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I subscribed to Peacock for the Premier League and World Cup skiing.

To my own amazement and shock, after they added the skating package, I’ve watched all the ladies’ events they have streamed.

I came for the Prem and skiing, and stayed for the skating.

Crazy thing is that I haven’t watched skating since the days of Katerina Witt and the Nancy/Tanya/Oksana fiasco.

Man, 13 year old me loved Katarina. Haha

I stayed up all night recently trying to figure out how this new scoring works. You need a degree in advanced mathematics it seems. Einstein would have quit trying to decipher this system.
Welcome and post often. Do you have any new favorite skaters?

DC2003

Rinkside
Sadly, I doubt we will see many more competitions this year. I think US Nationals and Worlds are the only remaining competitions scheduled...and they may very well be cancelled. Has anyone heard what will happen to NBC Sports Gold and its content after December 31? It honestly does not pay to subscribe to Peacock for figure skating for the current season and it would be nice to still be able to access and view past competitions until it is safe to resume competition again.

DC2003

Rinkside
NBC Sports Gold confirmed that all figure skating coverage will end on December 31. They could not advise whether Peacock will have any coverage for prior seasons. As of now, Skate America 2019 is the only competition from prior to this season shown as available to view on Peacock. I tried to contact Peacock, but the website's online Help is just a bot with programmed questions and answers.

Does anyone know any way to contact Peacock where you can interact with a human?!? Appreciate any help...thanks!

DC2003

Rinkside
I was finally able to track down a human at Peacock who unfortunately informed me that there is currently no plan to feature other competitions from prior to the current season on Peacock. I was advised to keep checking their social media accounts for any updates. So, if you are a NBC Sports Gold subscriber, you have less than two weeks left to enjoy anything from last season.

Does the ISU and/or USFSA have any competitions available online on sites such as YouTube from last and other prior seasons?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does the ISU and/or USFSA have any competitions available online on sites such as YouTube from last and other prior seasons?

USFS Fan Zone's video corner includes some major 2017-18 competitions, to my pleasant surprise.

- 2017 U.S. Classic​
- 2017 Skate America + all other 2017 GPs + 2017 GPF​
- 2018 Worlds + 2018 Four Continents + 2018 Euros​
- 2018 U.S. Nats (senior, junior, novice, intermediate, juvenile)​

LOL, I either had completely forgotten that they were there, or had never even known previously.​
(Fan Zone of course has lots of lower-profile USFS competition videos too.)​

ETA (on Dec 21):

Under the listing of "2019 U.S. Championships," Fan Zone (perhaps very recently?) has added some of the junior segments.

Not to be confused with the listing of "2019 GEICO U.S. Figure Skating Championships," which has novice, intermediate, and juvenile.​

ETA (on Dec 28):

Seems that Fan Zone quietly is adding videos of more and more competitions.

Latest higher-profile addition is 2019 U.S. Classic.​

On YouTube:

- This year the ISU channel posted some old major competitions without geoblocking -- for fans to watch during the earlier months of the pandemic.
2017 Junior Worlds, 2018 Junior Worlds, 2019 Junior Worlds
ETA (on Dec 28):
In case helpful, my GS post about the ISU's pandemic-related YouTube offerings from 2017-19 Junior Worlds.
For one thing, I forgot to mention here in this thread that for his new Ted's Takes videos, Ted Barton recorded new commentary for the top programs from 2017-19 Junior Worlds.​

- The official Olympic channel sometimes posts full video of Olympic figure skating competition from the past.​
(On an irregular basis -- so I do not have a handy list.)​

ETA (on Dec 19):

The new "Olympic Channel on Ice" (non-YouTube) also is worth mentioning. Viewable here:

It is discussed in this thread, started by lariko on Nov 30:

(As an aside: It so happens that in the Olympic Channel on Ice thread, a handy list of YouTube links for 2010 Vancouver OWG figure skating is available.)​

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was finally able to track down a human at Peacock who unfortunately informed me that there is currently no plan to feature other competitions from prior to the current season on Peacock. I was advised to keep checking their social media accounts for any updates. So, if you are a NBC Sports Gold subscriber, you have less than two weeks left to enjoy anything from last season.

I keep a list of you tube links to various competitions. The links come and go as sites get taken down, but it is still a good place to start.

Here is a list to the listing...

DC2003

Rinkside
Belated thanks for all the suggestions. I have been trying to complete watching all of the competitions on NBC Sports Gold that I have missed before the site goes down next week. Hopefully, I can make it up through Four Continents 2020 by then.

Has anyone subscribed to Peacock yet? I assume it has the same functionality (on demand, fast forward/rewind, etc.) as NBC Sports Gold. I may pass for this season. Assuming Nationals and Worlds occur, I can watch them on television. I can tolerate the commentary and, if I record the coverage, fast forward through the commercials!

Weathergal

Medalist
Belated thanks for all the suggestions. I have been trying to complete watching all of the competitions on NBC Sports Gold that I have missed before the site goes down next week. Hopefully, I can make it up through Four Continents 2020 by then.

Has anyone subscribed to Peacock yet? I assume it has the same functionality (on demand, fast forward/rewind, etc.) as NBC Sports Gold. I may pass for this season. Assuming Nationals and Worlds occur, I can watch them on television. I can tolerate the commentary and, if I record the coverage, fast forward through the commercials!
Thank you to icecoverage and labgoat for the video information. You had some great info that I wasn't aware of!

DC2003, I subscribed to Peacock because I was having trouble finding videos of NHK Trophy and really wanted to watch it. They offer a 7-day free subscription so if you sign up right before U.S. Nationals you could watch them then cancel (credit for that idea goes to Jackie Wong/Rocker Skating when he mentioned it before NHK, I think). I was going to cancel after NHK but decided to keep it through January so I could also watch Nationals. Additionally there's some other content (there are TV shows and movies) that I'd like to watch between now and then so I figured it's worth it at $4.99/month. (If you decide to sign up for a year, it's $49.99 for the year.) Also I think the decision on Worlds might be made by sometime in January so by then I might know if it's worth keeping until sometime in March. After that, I'll cancel though because too many subscription services start to add up.

The interface is very similar to NBC Sports Gold, although it seems a bit easier to pause or move the bar forward if you want to skip something.

DC2003

Rinkside
Thanks, Weathergal! Fast forwarding is key - I don't need to watch the Zamboni resurface the ice for a half hour during competitions! I must admit - I also skip some of the competitors. I wish I had the time and patience to watch some of the less experienced skaters.

I logged onto NBC Sports Gold on New Year's Day. No surprise - when I tried to watch any of the figure skating videos, a message popped up that figure skating coverage moved to Peacock. I sniped at my computer that the message was misleading - Peacock does not offer the same events as NBC Sports Gold did.

I am curious why NBC made this transition. It appears as if other sporting events are still live and active on NBC Sports Gold. Why move figure skating...unless the same will happen to the other sports as well? I wouldn't have minded the change if all the events from NBC Sports Gold were transferred over to Peacock. I have always been behind watching these events and had to scramble to watch as much as I could before the end of the year. At least I made it through 2020 Nationals!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yeah, I get what you mean. I wasn't always able to watch all the competitions but it was nice having the replays of them. Especially since it had content going back to the 2017-2018 season. But NBC Sports gold was $60 for a year.. only for skating. Once you paid you were done. With Peacock, you get a TON of other shows and sports, and it's monthly, so you can cancel. I got NBC Sports Gold only earlier this year after worlds were canceled when it was discounted to $10. 3 seasons' worth of content for $10. That was a steal. But I feel like the switch might have something to do with the subscription... Most people will be willing to pay 5 bucks a month rather than 60 bucks upfront.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
The thing I like about Peacock is it's cheap (only $4.99 a month) and you can pause your subscription if you want. I signed up for the trial ahead of Rostelecom and was able to watch that competition and go back and watch Skate America too...all for $5. After Rostelecom I paused my account and still had access to videos until almost the end of December (like the 27th). I'll reactivate it before nationals so I can watch and pause it after. Basically, I'll activate it when there's something I want to watch and pause it once it's over. I like this format...

I'd love to know what happen to all of those video archives from Ice Network. They had full seasons of skating going back 5 or 6 years at the time. When they made the switch to NBC Gold I thought those videos were coming over but they never did, and it was frustrating that Gold never had more than one season available to watch. Essentially it was a huge rip-off considering its predecessor. Ice Network had its issues but the amount of content was amazing and made it worth it.

It'd be nice if they could stop bouncing stuff around and find a dedicated place for all of the skating stuff.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ I totally agree with you. They've removed a lot of videos from YouTube, which is actually a platform that can help grow the sport, so they are unwise to remove so many videos, particularly of older yet more recent performances from the past 5 to 10 years.

I checked out the Figure Skating Fanzone site, which is difficult to navigate. It is not user friendly. Under the video section, you have to know what year and specific title to put into the search section. And the competitions go by various names so what you are looking for may not come up even if it's there unless you get the event and year accurate. The only alternative is to scroll in time-consuming fashion through all the videos.

They truly need to separate the Adult Skating events and the Synchronized Skating events to be placed in their own separate, respective archive indexes! Those multiple, numerous events need to be separated from the regular competitive events that most fans are looking for.

The 2019 U.S. International Skating Classic is there, along with the U.S. Pairs Final Challenge events for 2020 (junior and senior I believe). However, 2018 and 2019 U.S. Nationals events are not there. It's only the Ice Desk commentary before and after the events that's available. Unless those U.S. Nationals videos are somewhere on the platform where I can't find them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I checked out the Figure Skating Fanzone site, which is difficult to navigate. It is not user friendly. Under the video section, you have to know what year and specific title to put into the search section. And the competitions go by various names so what you are looking for may not come up even if it's there unless you get the event and year accurate. The only alternative is to scroll in time-consuming fashion through all the videos. ...

The 2019 U.S. International Skating Classic is there, along with the U.S. Pairs Final Challenge events for 2020 (junior and senior I believe). However, 2018 and 2019 U.S. Nationals events are not there. It's only the Ice Desk commentary before and after the events that's available. Unless those U.S. Nationals videos are somewhere on the platform where I can't find them.

As I said above in post #48, Fan Zone does have video for 2018 U.S. Nats -- including senior (a.k.a. "championship" level) and junior, both of which are pleasant surprises. (Not surprisingly, Fan Zone has the novice/ intermediate/juvenile video as well.)
I previously had not bothered to give the exact listing of "2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships."

Repeating what I already had spelled out for 2019 U.S. Nats:

Under the listing of "2019 U.S. Championships," Fan Zone (perhaps very recently?) has added some of the junior segments.

Not to be confused with the listing of "2019 GEICO U.S. Figure Skating Championships," which has novice, intermediate, and juvenile.

I again consider the available 2019 Nats junior video (RD + men/ladies/pairs SP + men/ladies FS) to be a bonus, because it originally would have been available only on NBC Sports Gold.
(AFAIK, Fan Zone does not have 2019 Nats senior video.)​

As I said in my earlier post, Fan Zone has video for U.S. Classic both from 2017 and from 2019.
But to add the exact listings: "2017 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic" and "2019 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic."

I did not make specific mention before, but Fan Zone does have senior/junior video for "2020 U.S. Pairs Final" (as you said) and for "2020 U.S. Ice Dance Final."
Also novice/intermediate/juvenile video for both events, but again the bonus is the senior/junior video, which originally would have been available only on NBC Sports Gold.

Although I agree that the Fan Zone video section could be more user-friendly, the overriding good news to me is that it has quite a lot of offerings -- both higher-profile and lower-profile -- that originally were not going to be available there.
Depending on one's particular interests, it could be worth taking the time to look around on Fan Zone for other "bonus" video content.
For example, if I ever wanted to see senior/junior video from the 2019-20 season's singles sectionals, I no longer would just assume that Fan Zone does not have it.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does anyone know how to find 2020 NHK Trophy on Peacock? This platform is NOT user friendly at all. They should place all of the figure skating in one section. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find all of the events by searching under a specific title that is unclear. The only way I found Rostelecom and Cup of China was putting '2020' in the search bar. If I put in 'Grand Prix Skating' only 2019 Skate America comes up. Also 'Ice Skating' and 'Figure Skating' only brings up 2019 Skate America for some reason. And then another time, I found the recent NBC anniversary event, but it's a crapshoot going under Browse and then Sports, or using the Search tool. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Anyone who can offer help, thank you.

Last edited:

luckyu2

On the Ice
Go to Browse ->Sports then scroll down to Figure Skating section click View All to the right, you will find the videos descending by the release date. The videos for NHK Trophy are called Ice Skating Osaka.
Yeah I agree Peacock TV is not user friendly.
Does anyone know how to find 2020 NHK Trophy on Peacock? This platform is NOT user friendly at all. They should place all of the figure skating in one section. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find all of the events by searching under a specific title that is unclear. The only way I found Rostelecom and Cup of China was putting '2020' in the search bar. If I put in 'Grand Prix Skating' only 2019 Skate America comes up. Also 'Ice Skating' and 'Figure Skating' only brings up 2019 Skate America for some reason. And then another time, I found the recent NBC anniversary event, but it's a crapshoot going under Browse and then Sports, or using the Search tool. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Anyone who can offer help, thank you.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Go to Browse ->Sports then scroll down to Figure Skating section click View All to the right, you will find the videos descending by the release date. The videos for NHK Trophy are called Ice Skating Osaka.
Yeah I agree Peacock TV is not user friendly.
It’s certainly not keyword-search friendly, that’s for sure!

Yesterday, I finally discovered the Figure Skating section. It now has all the links to 2022 Nationals (including the practice cams that start Wednesday), as well as the qualifying videos.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thing I like about Peacock is it's cheap (only $4.99 a month) and you can pause your subscription if you want. I signed up for the trial ahead of Rostelecom and was able to watch that competition and go back and watch Skate America too...all for $5. After Rostelecom I paused my account and still had access to videos until almost the end of December (like the 27th). I'll reactivate it before nationals so I can watch and pause it after. Basically, I'll activate it when there's something I want to watch and pause it once it's over. I like this format...

I'd love to know what happen to all of those video archives from Ice Network. They had full seasons of skating going back 5 or 6 years at the time. When they made the switch to NBC Gold I thought those videos were coming over but they never did, and it was frustrating that Gold never had more than one season available to watch. Essentially it was a huge rip-off considering its predecessor. Ice Network had its issues but the amount of content was amazing and made it worth it.

It'd be nice if they could stop bouncing stuff around and find a dedicated place for all of the skating stuff.
Icenetwork was awesome. I mourn it’s demise. Wonder who we could ask about this.