Needing answers and information about ice skating | Golden Skate

Needing answers and information about ice skating

cydni

Spectator
I’m a beginner teen who is still new to the world of figure skating. I’m very passionate about it ever since I stepped on the ice. I want to progress and get better but my parents never really have the time to take me, so I only go once a week for 30 minutes. I progress very quickly but having only 30 minutes each week, it doesn’t allow me to get better. it’s like I forget how to do the moves. My question is, how can I have more time to ice skate? I still have the 3 free tickets that my sessions give for free to practice but I don’t know when and how to use them. Another question I have is about the figure skating world. When should I join my local club? Does my parents have to be involved in it? Am I too old to be in it?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I’m a beginner teen who is still new to the world of figure skating. I’m very passionate about it ever since I stepped on the ice. I want to progress and get better but my parents never really have the time to take me, so I only go once a week for 30 minutes. I progress very quickly but having only 30 minutes each week, it doesn’t allow me to get better. it’s like I forget how to do the moves. My question is, how can I have more time to ice skate? I still have the 3 free tickets that my sessions give for free to practice but I don’t know when and how to use them. Another question I have is about the figure skating world. When should I join my local club? Does my parents have to be involved in it? Am I too old to be in it?
It would help us to know what country you're in? GS has an international membership, and I'm sure someone can give you advice if they knew where you are, how many rinks are within reach, what transportation is like, etc. I'm assuming you're in high school and under driving age? "Beginner teen" covers a wide range from 13 to 19, so the advice would be somewhat different for different age groups. But we're always happy to encourage a newcomer to the sport! :cheer::hap10:.

cydni

Spectator
Ah, you’re correct! I’m an incoming freshman and I’m in the United States! My ice skating rink associated with the USFSA. Hehe I really need advice and thank you for welcoming me! 😅

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Ah, you’re correct! I’m an incoming freshman and I’m in the United States! My ice skating rink associated with the USFSA. Hehe I really need advice and thank you for welcoming me! 😅
So you probably need the advice of some of our American members, then. I'm in Canada, where some of our systems of lessons and practice sessions are different, and a couple of my grandkids are training in the UK with a different set-up there again. But I hope you can follow your skating dream, and you can ask anything on GS. No question is too basic! The members range from beginner to advanced skaters, knowledgeable fans, coaches, skate technicians, parents of skaters -- no matter what the question, there's someone who will have an answer! :ghug:

cydni

Spectator
So you probably need the advice of some of our American members, then. I'm in Canada, where some of our systems of lessons and practice sessions are different, and a couple of my grandkids are training in the UK with a different set-up there again. But I hope you can follow your skating dream, and you can ask anything on GS. No question is too basic! The members range from beginner to advanced skaters, knowledgeable fans, coaches, skate technicians, parents of skaters -- no matter what the question, there's someone who will have an answer! :ghug:
Okay! Thank you so much for giving me information then! 🥰 I’m still kind of new to this website so what does GS mean?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Okay! Thank you so much for giving me information then! 🥰 I’m still kind of new to this website so what does GS mean?
Golden Skate, the name of the forum. Sorry, we get used to using abbreviations. Always good to be reminded that we might be obscure without meaning to be :biggrin:!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Hi! I started out as a teen, like you. I was able to skate once a week, for about an hour each. I had, if I remember right, 2 private lessons, 30 min each, every month. My mom was (and still is) amazingly supportive, and drove me an hour each way to the rink (the ran errands while I skated).

I started by doing LTS (learn to skate) and then doing private lessons through my club. I quit after I graduated from high school, for a lot of reasons, but recently restarted after a 17 year break. Good luck!

lyssx

Rinkside
You probably aren’t too old to be involved in your club, but your parents will probably have to sign you up/pay associated fees. I am an adult skater who started as an adult and am part of my club :)

I recommend you have your parents reach out to either the club director or the learn to skate coordinator (depending on your rink, what you’re currently doing, and how it is set up) and explaining your transportation issues.
Perhaps they can ask around to see if there are any families that live nearby to you that you could carpool to the rink with. I know there are a ton of families at my rink that have kids that carpool because the parents work schedules don’t allow them to easily drop them off or pick them up.

gkelly

Record Breaker
First, check when the rink offers public sessions that you can practice on. Even if you can only get there once a week, try to plan your time so that you can have an hour or more on the ice at each visit.

Have you been taking group lessons? The instructor, or the skating director at the rink, should be able to advise you about the available practice and lesson times.

If you can continue taking lessons, you will continue to learn new skills, but you always need to keep practicing the skills you've already learned to improve them and be ready to add new skills that build on the previous ones.

Are you in the US?

Are the group lessons at your rink offered through US Figure Skating or through ISI or their own curriculum. If USFS or ISI, you will probably need a learn-to-skate membership through those organizations.

You can move up the levels of the group classes as you master the skills at each level. If you are interested in competing at these levels, look for "Compete With Us" or ISI competitions held at rinks near you. The group instructors should be able to help. But preparing for competitions takes more time on the ice, and often some private lessons, in addition to just learning and practicing individual skills. There's no need to rush into competing, but do be aware that there are opportunities to do so at beginning levels if that is of interest to you.

Joining US Figure Skating as a full member, usually through a local club, in most cases is not necessary until you are ready to take the first formal Skating Skills test, the Pre-Preliminary level.
Here's an example of a coach demonstrating the moves you will need for that test:

You can search youtube for "Pre-Preliminary Moves in the Field" (the name for this test track just changed from Moves in the Field to Skating Skills at the beginning of this month) to see examples of the level of ability skaters usually have when they take this test.

If you're just taking group lessons and practicing once a week, it will take you some time to reach that level, but it should be an achievable goal to aim for.

If you can skate more often and take some private lessons as well, you could get there more quickly. But this requires more money as well as more time on the ice and more weekly trips to the rink, which would also be needed to move on to more advance skills and tests/competition.

US Figure Skating offers beginner competition opportunities at their regular competitions for skaters who have started to master the first jumps and spins. It is possible to enter those competitions at that level with just a Learn-to-Skate membership without club membership.

The only reason you might want to join a local USFS club sooner might be if the local club offers ice time that is appropriate for beginners to skate on at your level at times that are more convenient than public sessions or group lessons run by the rink.

Other clubs only offer ice time for skaters who have reached a skill level toward the end of what the learn-to-skate classes teach.

You can see if the local club has a website that would answer some questions about what they offer and provide contact info for a club representative who could give you more information.

Again, the group instructors should be able to point you toward how to contact the local club when you're ready.

Skating clubs are for all ages, although some small clubs may only have skating members in a more limited age range.
If there is an active USFS club in your area, there are probably some teens who participate at a more advanced level.

Some clubs also offer off-ice social opportunities, or sponsor test sessions, shows, or competitions that you could volunteer at even before you're ready to participate yourself.

If you are still a minor when you're ready to join a club, you may need to have a parent join as a parent member, which may be free if they don't skate themselves. Your skating membership will have an associated fee.

Check with the local club when you're ready. But there's no rush to join a club while you're still working on learning beginning skills.

Have fun!

cydni

Spectator
First, check when the rink offers public sessions that you can practice on. Even if you can only get there once a week, try to plan your time so that you can have an hour or more on the ice at each visit.

Have you been taking group lessons? The instructor, or the skating director at the rink, should be able to advise you about the available practice and lesson times.

If you can continue taking lessons, you will continue to learn new skills, but you always need to keep practicing the skills you've already learned to improve them and be ready to add new skills that build on the previous ones.

Are you in the US?

Are the group lessons at your rink offered through US Figure Skating or through ISI or their own curriculum. If USFS or ISI, you will probably need a learn-to-skate membership through those organizations.

You can move up the levels of the group classes as you master the skills at each level. If you are interested in competing at these levels, look for "Compete With Us" or ISI competitions held at rinks near you. The group instructors should be able to help. But preparing for competitions takes more time on the ice, and often some private lessons, in addition to just learning and practicing individual skills. There's no need to rush into competing, but do be aware that there are opportunities to do so at beginning levels if that is of interest to you.

Joining US Figure Skating as a full member, usually through a local club, in most cases is not necessary until you are ready to take the first formal Skating Skills test, the Pre-Preliminary level.
Here's an example of a coach demonstrating the moves you will need for that test:

You can search youtube for "Pre-Preliminary Moves in the Field" (the name for this test track just changed from Moves in the Field to Skating Skills at the beginning of this month) to see examples of the level of ability skaters usually have when they take this test.

If you're just taking group lessons and practicing once a week, it will take you some time to reach that level, but it should be an achievable goal to aim for.

If you can skate more often and take some private lessons as well, you could get there more quickly. But this requires more money as well as more time on the ice and more weekly trips to the rink, which would also be needed to move on to more advance skills and tests/competition.

US Figure Skating offers beginner competition opportunities at their regular competitions for skaters who have started to master the first jumps and spins. It is possible to enter those competitions at that level with just a Learn-to-Skate membership without club membership.

The only reason you might want to join a local USFS club sooner might be if the local club offers ice time that is appropriate for beginners to skate on at your level at times that are more convenient than public sessions or group lessons run by the rink.

Other clubs only offer ice time for skaters who have reached a skill level toward the end of what the learn-to-skate classes teach.

You can see if the local club has a website that would answer some questions about what they offer and provide contact info for a club representative who could give you more information.

Again, the group instructors should be able to point you toward how to contact the local club when you're ready.

Skating clubs are for all ages, although some small clubs may only have skating members in a more limited age range.
If there is an active USFS club in your area, there are probably some teens who participate at a more advanced level.

Some clubs also offer off-ice social opportunities, or sponsor test sessions, shows, or competitions that you could volunteer at even before you're ready to participate yourself.

If you are still a minor when you're ready to join a club, you may need to have a parent join as a parent member, which may be free if they don't skate themselves. Your skating membership will have an associated fee.

Check with the local club when you're ready. But there's no rush to join a club while you're still working on learning beginning skills.

Have fun!
Hi! I started out as a teen, like you. I was able to skate once a week, for about an hour each. I had, if I remember right, 2 private lessons, 30 min each, every month. My mom was (and still is) amazingly supportive, and drove me an hour each way to the rink (the ran errands while I skated).

I started by doing LTS (learn to skate) and then doing private lessons through my club. I quit after I graduated from high school, for a lot of reasons, but recently restarted after a 17 year break. Good luck!
Yay thank you! 😄 My parents said I was too old and wasn’t very supportive of my decision before but I’m so glad I managed to convince them! Hope you are doing better than ever on the ice after the break! 😆😆

cydni

Spectator
You probably aren’t too old to be involved in your club, but your parents will probably have to sign you up/pay associated fees. I am an adult skater who started as an adult and am part of my club :)

I recommend you have your parents reach out to either the club director or the learn to skate coordinator (depending on your rink, what you’re currently doing, and how it is set up) and explaining your transportation issues.
Perhaps they can ask around to see if there are any families that live nearby to you that you could carpool to the rink with. I know there are a ton of families at my rink that have kids that carpool because the parents work schedules don’t allow them to easily drop them off or pick them up.
Okay thank you for the advice! I don’t know if my parents will let me carpool with another family because they have trust issues 😅

cydni

Spectator

Are you in the US?

Have fun!
Wow thank you so much for the information and advice! I am currently in a group lesson because you know, private lessons are a bit costly for my parents to manage, but I feel that I know much more now! ☺️ I’ll ask my coach when I can come in to practice more at the rink 🥰

Vicki7

On the Ice
You’ve had some great advice already, and I’m in the UK so not sure how useful mine will be, but here goes.

As an adult skater, I see a lot of our younger skaters gaining their independence through the sport - it’ll start with a parent dropping them off at the rink, and progress to them coming in to practice or for lessons on their own.

I don’t know what the transport situation is in your area, but if there is public transportation available it may mean your parents get behind you going to the rink more if they don’t have to be quite as involved, and if they see it as something that’s helping develop your independence. It also means you don’t have to car pool, if that’s an absolute no go with your parents.

cydni

Spectator
You’ve had some great advice already, and I’m in the UK so not sure how useful mine will be, but here goes.

As an adult skater, I see a lot of our younger skaters gaining their independence through the sport - it’ll start with a parent dropping them off at the rink, and progress to them coming in to practice or for lessons on their own.

I don’t know what the transport situation is in your area, but if there is public transportation available it may mean your parents get behind you going to the rink more if they don’t have to be quite as involved, and if they see it as something that’s helping develop your independence. It also means you don’t have to car pool, if that’s an absolute no go with your parents.
Ah okay! Thank you for another great advice! 😊😊 But there isn’t much public transportation in my area that I can rely on 😅 I guess I will just stick to going once a week until I get my license 🥲