New beginner member with tons of questions | Golden Skate

New beginner member with tons of questions

new2sk8

Rinkside
Hello everyone,

Just joined the community a few minutes ago, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm interesting in learning to skate (at 38!), not even sure if it's possible. I searched online for public skating forums or whatever non figure skating is called but couldn't fin anything, so I joined this one as it looked as the most comprehensive forum of the ones I checked, I hope you don't mind an intruder ;-)

So first question is is it at all possible to learn how to ice skate at my age or is it something that must be learned when still a kid?
Any recommendations on a public skating forum?
When it's not figure skating but it's also not hockey, it named public skating?
What is the difference between Junior and senior skates, is it related to age or skill level?
Do you recommend a specific brand of skates for a total beginner?
Is it comparable to roller blading? It's easier to go out and skate on the street than on an ice rink every time (please don't flame me if I'm asking a really stupid question).

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi new2sk8! Welcome to Golden Skate. Post often and post long. I've moved your post to The Lutz Corner, where our members discuss skating. You might find answers your questions if you browse the subforum. Good luck on your skating pursuits!

vlaurend

Final Flight
Welcome! To answer your last question first, roller blading is pretty similar to ice skating, but more like hockey skating (no toepick) than figure skating. Stroking practice in roller blades should be a good substitute for ice skating if you can't make it to the ice rink and you're happy just to stroke around.

As for skates, there are two important factors to consider: (1) how the brand of boot fits your foot, and (2) the appropriate stiffness level for your skating ability and body weight. Don't believe anyone who tells you one major skate boot brand is "better" than another, because it's all about how well the shape of the boot matches the shape of your foot. For example, if you have feet that are wide in the toes (as opposed to "pointy"), you will find that the boot brands with wider toe boxes will fit you better and not squish your toes. You want a boot that fits like a glove with no extra room, but that isn't tight or uncomfortable anywhere. Wear thin socks, not thick socks, both when you try on your boots and when you go skating.

Also, more expensive doesn't mean better for you; it just means the boot is built thicker and sturdier, for skaters who actually need that stiffness because they're landing triple jumps. You want boots that are soft enough to break in with normal skating and allow you some ankle bend, but not so soft that they break down too quickly under your adult body weight. Go to a professional skate fitter, or better, two of them at two different rinks, and try on several brands of boots.

Last edited:

hydroblader

Rinkside
Welcome! To answer your first question, it is never too late to learn to skate. Whether you just want to be able to navigate around a public skate or you want to compete in adult figure skating competitions, it's all possible. I put a pair of figure skates on for the first time when I was 36 and 19 years later I'm still at it. You do need decent skates to start or you will get frustrated, but there should be local skate fitters in your community. Also find a learn to skate program, whether it's group lessons or private lessons, you'll benefit from learning the basics from a professional. Check your local rink for lessons and sessions to skate. Most of all be patient, wear good protective clothing and have fun. You can do anything you want if you try. Good luck.

gkelly

Record Breaker
So first question is is it at all possible to learn how to ice skate at my age or is it something that must be learned when still a kid?

You can learn to skate at any age as long as you can walk and have reasonably good balance and aren't afraid of falling on occasion.

You'll never be an elite figure skater doing triple jumps, but you can become a lower level figure skater if you want. Or just stick to the basics if that's your preference.

Many rinks call the sessions when members of the public can skate any way they are able "public sessions." Or "general/general skating sessions" or "open sessions" or something of the sort. Open to absolute beginners or more advanced skaters in any discipline, as long as they pay attention to the slower traffic.

For the kind of skating you would do before/without committing to a specific discipline such as hockey or figure skating or speed skating, it would probably be more common to call it just "basic skating" or "beginning skating skills."

If you do it on a frozen pond rather than an artificial rink, then "pond skating." (Or canal skating, etc. as applicable.)

If you want to take beginner lessons, what those lessons are called will depend where you're located and what organization is offering the lessons. There has just recently been a rebranding and consolidation of basic lessons among all skating sports in the US, but the names and the options would be different in Canada or elsewhere.

What is the difference between Junior and senior skates, is it related to age or skill level?

Depends on the context. In some countries (US, for example), "junior" and "senior" refer purely skill levels for tests and competitions. In international competition, eligibility for junior or senior competition is based purely on age, but there are also required skills in the short programs that mean not everyone who meets the age requirements would be able to compete at that level. There are also numerous lower levels of competition with different names in different countries, but those rarely apply internationally.

Pink Ice

Rinkside
Hello everyone,

Do you recommend a specific brand of skates for a total beginner?
Is it comparable to roller blading? It's easier to go out and skate on the street than on an ice rink every time (please don't flame me if I'm asking a really stupid question).

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Yes, it is possible to learn to skate as an adult, and most people do find it somewhat comparable to roller blading. I started at 41 and have been skating about a year now. You do learn a ton at first, the best way to find out info about skates, elements, the skating levels, things like ISI vs USFS, etc. is to do what you are doing and that is go online, watch you tube instructional videos, and also do searchs on forums. That way when you go to your local rink you will have an idea of what is going on.

It sounds like what you are asking about is called adult figure skating. I had trouble with this concept at first too, "Oh no, I'm not a figure skater", but the reality is, if you are skating in figure skates and practicing the basic figure skating elements, you are a figure skater! It does not matter if your goal is to eventually perform and test levels or just have fun, you are still a figure skater.

Check to see if your local rink has a learn to skate program. If not you might look into private lessons, also see if there is an adult skating time at your rink, some rinks have "coffee club" sessions for adults only and they can be helpful guiding you through this new world.

Getting your own skates is worth some research. I would say to start out in rentals and if you enjoy your first few sessions check into purchasing a moderate level boot for yourself (again, that online research and also a visit to a pro shop if you have one near). I think most adults do best to start out on moderate level boot (level usually meaning boot strength) because it is usually not so stiff that you cannot break then in but they will last you several years and levels. It sucks to get the very lowest level boot, get comfy in it and find out you need a new pair after a year. Your size will play a role also in the strength boot you get as well, heavier skaters may need stronger boots.

Getting quality ice (quiet, good condition ice) becomes an obsession for figure skates. I personally do not roller skate on my off ice time but many skaters do supplement their learning with off ice skating. As for skating sessions, in addition to sometimes having an adult session for all levels, rinks often have public sessions and "freestyle" sessions. Public, as you may gather, is for the general public. Public sessions can be empty or chaos, you will find it difficult to learn too much on a very crowded public session, but as a beginner, if you can find pubic sessions that are more quiet that is often the best time to practice if your rink does not have adult sessions. Freestyle is for more serious skaters practicing programs to perform and more difficult elements. People move fast in freestyle sessions so you need to be a decent skater before you start practicing there. Many rinks have rules about what level you need to be too be on a freestyle session, so it is something to look towards in the future for practice ice.

I say, watch a couple of the very beginner ice skating videos on you tube (how to stand in skates, marching, Swizzles, basic stroking and how to get up from a fall, and go give a public session a try. Take a friend if you nervous. Ultimately, as falls are an issue you may want to look into protective gear like wrist guards, head protection, pads etc. Good luck!

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm interesting in learning to skate (at 38!), not even sure if it's possible.

Well, here's a data point that should put that concern to rest. A couple of years ago, I met a woman at my rink who took up skating for the very first time. She was 84. Not kidding.

new2sk8

Rinkside
Wow, thanks a lot everyone for taking the time to replying to my questions, this is very encouraging!
It seems the consensus is to avoid buying skates online (I was considering it, as prices are more attractive), bit it actually makes a lot of sense. I come from a cycling background and it's the same, you need to get a fit on shoes, pedals, etc. at least the first time, then you can buy online and save a few bucks for subsequent times.

I'm heading to the rink later today, with my 4 year old daughter, we're both very excited, it will be her first time and my first time in maybe ten years. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot, have a great weekend!

new2sk8

Rinkside
Welcome! To answer your last question first, roller blading is pretty similar to ice skating, but more like hockey skating (no toepick) than figure skating. Stroking practice in roller blades should be a good substitute for ice skating if you can't make it to the ice rink and you're happy just to stroke around.

As for skates, there are two important factors to consider: (1) how the brand of boot fits your foot, and (2) the appropriate stiffness level for your skating ability and body weight. Don't believe anyone who tells you one major skate boot brand is "better" than another, because it's all about how well the shape of the boot matches the shape of your foot. For example, if you have feet that are wide in the toes (as opposed to "pointy"), you will find that the boot brands with wider toe boxes will fit you better and not squish your toes. You want a boot that fits like a glove with no extra room, but that isn't tight or uncomfortable anywhere. Wear thin socks, not thick socks, both when you try on your boots and when you go skating.

Also, more expensive doesn't mean better for you; it just means the boot is built thicker and sturdier, for skaters who actually need that stiffness because they're landing triple jumps. You want boots that are soft enough to break in with normal skating and allow you some ankle bend, but not so soft that they break down too quickly under your adult body weight. Go to a professional skate fitter, or better, two of them at two different rinks, and try on several brands of boots.

Thanks for this, it's very useful info and it actually makes a lot of sense to a newbie like myself. I'll peek at the shop at the rink later today and see what I can find in there.

new2sk8

Rinkside
Welcome! To answer your first question, it is never too late to learn to skate. Whether you just want to be able to navigate around a public skate or you want to compete in adult figure skating competitions, it's all possible. I put a pair of figure skates on for the first time when I was 36 and 19 years later I'm still at it. You do need decent skates to start or you will get frustrated, but there should be local skate fitters in your community. Also find a learn to skate program, whether it's group lessons or private lessons, you'll benefit from learning the basics from a professional. Check your local rink for lessons and sessions to skate. Most of all be patient, wear good protective clothing and have fun. You can do anything you want if you try. Good luck.

Thanks, reading this encourages me!
Quick question about the decent pair, pretty much everyone mentioned that, however I don't have a pair now, maybe I'll buy one later today when at the rink, as I intend to pay for lessons there. However at least today's session will be on the rentals. Are those really that bad? I mean would today be so bad that it totally puts me off skating? Should I buy a new pair today before I jump in the rink?

Thanks!

new2sk8

Rinkside
Well, here's a data point that should put that concern to rest. A couple of years ago, I met a woman at my rink who took up skating for the very first time. She was 84. Not kidding.

Wow. I mean WOW.
And here I am asking if I'm too old. Now you just put me to shame.

new2sk8

Rinkside
You can learn to skate at any age as long as you can walk and have reasonably good balance and aren't afraid of falling on occasion.

You'll never be an elite figure skater doing triple jumps, but you can become a lower level figure skater if you want. Or just stick to the basics if that's your preference.

Many rinks call the sessions when members of the public can skate any way they are able "public sessions." Or "general/general skating sessions" or "open sessions" or something of the sort. Open to absolute beginners or more advanced skaters in any discipline, as long as they pay attention to the slower traffic.

For the kind of skating you would do before/without committing to a specific discipline such as hockey or figure skating or speed skating, it would probably be more common to call it just "basic skating" or "beginning skating skills."

If you do it on a frozen pond rather than an artificial rink, then "pond skating." (Or canal skating, etc. as applicable.)

If you want to take beginner lessons, what those lessons are called will depend where you're located and what organization is offering the lessons. There has just recently been a rebranding and consolidation of basic lessons among all skating sports in the US, but the names and the options would be different in Canada or elsewhere.

Depends on the context. In some countries (US, for example), "junior" and "senior" refer purely skill levels for tests and competitions. In international competition, eligibility for junior or senior competition is based purely on age, but there are also required skills in the short programs that mean not everyone who meets the age requirements would be able to compete at that level. There are also numerous lower levels of competition with different names in different countries, but those rarely apply internationally.

Perfect, thanks for this information. Basic skating seems like what I'll be doing for a while.

new2sk8

Rinkside
Yes, it is possible to learn to skate as an adult, and most people do find it somewhat comparable to roller blading. I started at 41 and have been skating about a year now. You do learn a ton at first, the best way to find out info about skates, elements, the skating levels, things like ISI vs USFS, etc. is to do what you are doing and that is go online, watch you tube instructional videos, and also do searchs on forums. That way when you go to your local rink you will have an idea of what is going on.

It sounds like what you are asking about is called adult figure skating. I had trouble with this concept at first too, "Oh no, I'm not a figure skater", but the reality is, if you are skating in figure skates and practicing the basic figure skating elements, you are a figure skater! It does not matter if your goal is to eventually perform and test levels or just have fun, you are still a figure skater.

Check to see if your local rink has a learn to skate program. If not you might look into private lessons, also see if there is an adult skating time at your rink, some rinks have "coffee club" sessions for adults only and they can be helpful guiding you through this new world.

Getting your own skates is worth some research. I would say to start out in rentals and if you enjoy your first few sessions check into purchasing a moderate level boot for yourself (again, that online research and also a visit to a pro shop if you have one near). I think most adults do best to start out on moderate level boot (level usually meaning boot strength) because it is usually not so stiff that you cannot break then in but they will last you several years and levels. It sucks to get the very lowest level boot, get comfy in it and find out you need a new pair after a year. Your size will play a role also in the strength boot you get as well, heavier skaters may need stronger boots.

Getting quality ice (quiet, good condition ice) becomes an obsession for figure skates. I personally do not roller skate on my off ice time but many skaters do supplement their learning with off ice skating. As for skating sessions, in addition to sometimes having an adult session for all levels, rinks often have public sessions and "freestyle" sessions. Public, as you may gather, is for the general public. Public sessions can be empty or chaos, you will find it difficult to learn too much on a very crowded public session, but as a beginner, if you can find pubic sessions that are more quiet that is often the best time to practice if your rink does not have adult sessions. Freestyle is for more serious skaters practicing programs to perform and more difficult elements. People move fast in freestyle sessions so you need to be a decent skater before you start practicing there. Many rinks have rules about what level you need to be too be on a freestyle session, so it is something to look towards in the future for practice ice.

I say, watch a couple of the very beginner ice skating videos on you tube (how to stand in skates, marching, Swizzles, basic stroking and how to get up from a fall, and go give a public session a try. Take a friend if you nervous. Ultimately, as falls are an issue you may want to look into protective gear like wrist guards, head protection, pads etc. Good luck!

Thanks, I get the figure skater concept, but how do I know whether I need to buy figure skates or any other type?

gkelly

Record Breaker
It's easier to learn on figure skates than hockey skates. Even kids aiming at hockey sometimes start on figure skates, especially if they're going to outgrow the first pair before they're ready to play hockey.

Since you won't outgrow your skates, if you think you might be working on three turns and waltz jumps, or beyond, within the next year or so, then by all means start with figure skates that are appropriate for beginners.

If your daughter is interested enough to want her own skates, don't spend too much because they might only last her a few months.

concorde

Medalist
I would try renting both figure skates and hockey skates just to get a feel of both of them. My guess is less than 5 minutes in each will give you a good idea of what you like. I tried hockey skates once and found them really tricky. The back part of the hockey blade is rounded and basically nonexistent so when I leaned back slightly, I ended up falling backwards. That one time was enough for me to know that I did not like hockey blades.

To follow-up on Jkelly's advice - If you are getting skates for yourself (an adult), spend a bit more and get a good quality set (better than what you need right now) since they will last you for years. If you are getting skates for your child, just get they need for the very near future since they will probably outgrow the skates before they are broken down. I think I have purchased at least 8 pairs of skates for my daughter over her skating "career." Only one pair did she every break down before she outgrew them.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
new2skate - I know you've probably skated your first session by now with your child.
i would not yet buy a pair of skates for either of you. I've seen adults and children with the best of ambition step on to ice and decay quickly. (Makes me sad).

Skate in the rentals for a few sessions and if you really like skating, sign up for lessons. Once you're sure you're comfortable with the skills taught then I would look into skates - unless you really loved your skating yesterday then go ahead and get skates now.

You might ask at the rink if the coaches keep a closet or area with used skates. Kids grow out of them quickly and teens today seem to wear bigger sizes so there might even be a pair that you could purchase too. Don't get boots or blades of a high level as they will not be appropriate for those just starting (too stiff, too much blade). Reidell and Jackson make decent skates for beginners at a reasonable price.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
new2skate - I know you've probably skated your first session by now with your child.
i would not yet buy a pair of skates for either of you. I've seen adults and children with the best of ambition step on to ice and decay quickly. (Makes me sad).

Skate in the rentals for a few sessions and if you really like skating, sign up for lessons. Once you're sure you're comfortable with the skills taught then I would look into skates - unless you really loved your skating yesterday then go ahead and get skates now.

You might ask at the rink if the coaches keep a closet or area with used skates. Kids grow out of them quickly and teens today seem to wear bigger sizes so there might even be a pair that you could purchase too. Don't get boots or blades of a high level as they will not be appropriate for those just starting (too stiff, too much blade). Reidell and Jackson make decent skates for beginners at a reasonable price.

This sounds good in principle, but works only if the rink has decent rentals. In another thread, I half-jokingly asked, "Are rental skates ever sharpened?" I was only half-joking, because in the rinks I've skated the most, I don't think they are, or at most rarely. The practice seems more to hang onto the skates for several years and then swap them out en masse for a new batch.

On occasion, I'd check out the rentals on skaters who asked me for help, or rentals on the return counter. I've always wondered how anyone could skate on them. So the problem is a new skater may have terrible initial experiences because of crappy rentals and get turned off.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This sounds good in principle, but works only if the rink has decent rentals. In another thread, I half-jokingly asked, "Are rental skates ever sharpened?" I was only half-joking, because in the rinks I've skated the most, I don't think they are, or at most rarely. The practice seems more to hang onto the skates for several years and then swap them out en masse for a new batch.

On occasion, I'd check out the rentals on skaters who asked me for help, or rentals on the return counter. I've always wondered how anyone could skate on them. So the problem is a new skater may have terrible initial experiences because of crappy rentals and get turned off.

Well tstop4me, how else can a beginner still try out skating without making a purchase of skates that turns out to be a big mistake?

I've literally had public skaters step onto the ice and step 3 feet along the board and get off. It didn't matter how encouraging we were, they basically disintegrated. So I don't think that any first time skater should make an investment.

I know rentals vary by rink. Ours are pretty good. In fact yesterday I was helping a kid tie their skates and the blades were nearly new. Maybe rentals feel weird now to those of us that have good equipment, but to someone who has not skated they are not going to know any difference.

TGee

Record Breaker
Weighing in here because I don't think that just going for it with a first try on public skating is a good idea.

Totally recognize that the USFSA's relationship to basic skating is a bit different than it is in Canada, but would strongly encourage anyone starting out as an adult to find a club first, and then figure out which basic skating lessons and at what rink its coaches teach at. Then find out which sessions are targeted to new adult learners.

Where we live there are outdoor, free rinks in every park (really there is a baseball diamond in summer). Skating is a fairly universal social activity, and kids get taken out to skate during physical activity in schools.

So, many adult immigrants try to skate with cheap rec skates or rentals in order to give it a try. Enough get hurt that the "I tried it and .....bad story" is something I hear a lot.

But I do see a number of them successfully trying the adult group in our club's CanSkate basic skating lesson. Some even end up competing in the adult program all the way up to ISU events. Sometimes they do it because they want to be able to skate with their kids. Sometimes it's because a Canadian born spouse doesn't want them to be left out. I have a distinct memory of a hockey playing guy cheering his south Asian spouse from the boards as she struggled with the basic beginners T for weeks. But within months she could really skate and stop, and her husband was ecstatic that she could now share this with him.