new scoring system | Page 3 | Golden Skate

new scoring system

gsrossano

Final Flight
A quick example. How do they judge choreography? The skater does not makeup the choreography, but must put his/her stamp on it with feeling and interpretation. But the bottom line is how good is the choreography the skater has to deal with? Whom do we find fault with if it is not good?

There are seven fairly clear criteria for Choreography (8 for pairs and dance) that are not that hard to understand. No time to describe each one in detail, but it comes down to whether the program has an identifiable purpose, and whether the structure of the program in space and time is consistent with the purpose and structure of the music.

If your point is that choreography should not be judged, because the skater usually does make up the choreography themself, that is a defensible point of view, and I know there are others out there who agree with you.

I can't believe all those judges are so musically inclined and able to discern movements in space. If so, then so is everyone in the Arena. We don't need a judge for that.
Joe

They are more musically inclined and able to discern movements in space than you give them credit for, though (as a group) not as much as they need to be. Hopefully, through continuing education they will get better. And yes, the average person in the arena is capable of understanding this and judging this with only modest training.

Not quite certain what you mean by "We don't need a judge for that." Is your point that judging movement in space in time to the music should not be judged in a competition?

I don't agree with the view certain things shouldn't be judged because the judges are too stupid to judge those things (whatever they are) correctly. I do agree that certain things that are judged should perhaps not be judged in determining the result of a skating competition. And there are some things that should perhaps be judged that are not.