Next Female Olympic Champion | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Next Female Olympic Champion

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Too early to tell, but this moment I´d expect Ando, Asada, Gedevanishvili, Kim or Meissner to have the best chances for gold medal in 2010 Olympics.

After 2002 Olympics I would not have predicted Arakawa for gold in 2006, but I hoped for Cohen. After 2004 Worlds I started to have big Olympic hopes for Arakawa.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Y"all forgetting the one who hasn't made her mark yet: Caroline Zhang.

Joe - who is Caroline Zhang - where is she from? Is she a junior/novice skater?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

What a little cutie!!! And how incredible is that Biellmann she's doing in that picture - now that is amazing!!

Ant

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
RD - Would you care to take a guess and join the fun with this thread or do you want to continue being negative?

err...perhaps the post I made there was...let's see...a JOKE, perhaps? :scratch:

(on that note, anyone else believe in "jinxes"? :biggrin: )

antmanb said:
Joe - who is Caroline Zhang - where is she from? Is she a junior/novice skater?Ant
Ant - I wish there was someway for the Media to show Junior skaters on TV. They did show Kimmie when she won Novice back a few years ago as a special upcoming skater. But there are many special upcoming skaters in the US and I am sure all over the world. I don't enjoy watching a few in that little rectangle box on the net. Oh, well this is another endless topic and everone is in agreement.

I first noticed Caroline in St.Louis. Couldn't believe the stroking and flow this Junior lady had. I have not seen Ya-nu yet, but I would venture to say that Caroline has it over Mao in the basics and feelings of the music. She's not up to those big tricks Ya-nu and Mao have but she'll outskate them, imo. I just think the new era has begun.

Do you realize how much money I spend just to see certain skaters that do not appear on TV (I expect nothing new from MK and SC this season). Spokane is not a freebee from NYC.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joe- you're in NYC. Do you get Comcast? I think CN8 in our area (Baltimore/MD) showed some of the Junior worlds some time ago.

Red Dog said:
Joe- you're in NYC. Do you get Comcast? I think CN8 in our area (Baltimore/MD) showed some of the Junior worlds some time ago.
Comcast is Connecticut - not far from NYC but we don't get it. damn. Maybe I should write to them.

Joe

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Judging by what I've seen so far, Kimmie Meissner has what it takes to go on a heck of a roll.
Whether or not she wins Olympic gold will depend on whether the ISU/IOC politicos like her enough.......

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Ant - I wish there was someway for the Media to show Junior skaters on TV. They did show Kimmie when she won Novice back a few years ago as a special upcoming skater. But there are many special upcoming skaters in the US and I am sure all over the world. I don't enjoy watching a few in that little rectangle box on the net. Oh, well this is another endless topic and everone is in agreement.

I first noticed Caroline in St.Louis. Couldn't believe the stroking and flow this Junior lady had. I have not seen Ya-nu yet, but I would venture to say that Caroline has it over Mao in the basics and feelings of the music. She's not up to those big tricks Ya-nu and Mao have but she'll outskate them, imo. I just think the new era has begun.

Do you realize how much money I spend just to see certain skaters that do not appear on TV (I expect nothing new from MK and SC this season). Spokane is not a freebee from NYC.

Joe

Me too - i really wish i could see some more junior and novice skaters from around the world. Caroline sounds like she's a talented girl - hope i get to see her skating soon. If i had more holiday time and money i'd try and get over to the US to see some skating competitions but sadly time nor finances allow at the moment!

Luckily the British junior champion skates at the same rink as me so i get to see her train and the speed and sflow she has is phenomenal. Sadly she only has her double jumps and i've not seen her land a clean triple. That seems to sum up a lot of the British skaters - very good basics, stroking edging flow but just unable to land the jumps - and with the ladies its mostly any triple jump at all - i suspect the podium from Junior ladies wouldn't even be competitive in US regionals/sectionals.

Ant

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Once again, I must say - We all seem to be addicadicadicadicted to predicadicadicadicadicting. This may be the off-season with its dull-lull, but excessive predicting - particuticuticuticuticularly 4 years ahead - is really getting old.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
OK, not reading prev.s

That' tuff 'cause I am not that "verse"

But..
Would Love to see Fumie, but there is so much to work on (IMO New coach and choreography - needs a "world look" not just Nippon-jin) JUST SHOW THAT "BEST SMILE IN THE WORLD MORE!!!!!!!!!!"...
Think Sara M could but not sure of her tenacity...
MK would be kinda cool, but lets face it....no real chance...
Miki will find a "sugar daddy in the next 2 years to disappear with (hope it doesn't happen)...
Emily will more the likely have a hip issue unless the skate design comes along to alleviate "prone" injuries...
Kimmie has a chance....
Mao good bet....
Yakari has something...
But Idelracer said it, and I believe; "some 12 year old we still haven't heard of yet.

I would Love to see someone get the "oldest Olympic champ" ( Fumie, Michell or Ira) - but for some reason my dreams don't always come true. Boo Hoo Seanibu, to bad for you.

Last edited:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
lisadotdash said:
No one's mentioned
Skater Caution
Emily Hughes Weight.
Meissner A little stuck on herself.
Asada Inches and pounds throwing her off
Kostner Just needs to train
The Cuban girl Injuries. She is on a roll. She knows what to do,

I don't know any of these skaters personally, of course, but I find it a little ridiculous to be calling Meissner "a little stuck on herself." She seems to be one of the mose sensible, down-to-earth skaters around, and I don't think her World title is going to go to her head.
I really don't think that weight is an issue for Emily Hughes, and I'd sick and tired of people saying it is. The girl is not heavy, not at all. True, she does have the type of body where muscles get somewhat bulky, as compared with people like Kimmie or Sasha, whose muscles stay very lean, but I don't think that it hurts Emily's skating at all.
As for Kostner, I don't think that not training is her problem. I think maybe she needs to change how she trains. She needs to develop the strength and stability to give her control on her jumps. And maybe she needs a bit more mental toughness.

krenseby

Final Flight
seanibu said:
OK, not reading prev.s

That' tuff 'cause I am not that "verse"

But..
Would Love to see Fumie, but there is so much to work on (IMO New coach and choreography - needs a "world look" not just Nippon-jin) JUST SHOW THAT "BEST SMILE IN THE WORLD MORE!!!!!!!!!!"...
Think Sara M could but not sure of her tenacity...
MK would be kinda cool, but lets face it....no real chance...
Miki will find a "sugar daddy in the next 2 years to disappear with (hope it doesn't happen)...
Emily will more the likely have a hip issue unless the skate design comes along to alleviate "prone" injuries...
Kimmie has a chance....
Mao good bet....
Yakari has something...
But Idelracer said it, and I believe; "some 12 year old we still haven't heard of yet.

I would Love to see someone get the "oldest Olympic champ" ( Fumie, Michell or Ira) - but for some reason my dreams don't always come true. Boo Hoo Seanibu, to bad for you.

Yukari does have something. In fact, I predict her to be the next Olympic Champion.

Yukari Nakano - 2010 Olympic Gold Winner!

Kasey

Medalist
krenseby said:
Yukari does have something. In fact, I predict her to be the next Olympic Champion.

Yukari Nakano - 2010 Olympic Gold Winner!

I would love to see this. The girl's got spark, and is awesome to watch.

For some odd reason, the Connecticut junior girls got on one of my channels. I got to Yu na, and she's quite good. I would like to see more of her and Mao before coming into a strong decision. Kimmie, as far as Calgary is concerned was looking super. I think with a 3A she will give the Asian gals a run for gold.
Kimmie also has stroking over them with her long legs She covers the ice better. All three have adequate musicality. Nothing special yet, but they have time.

Sasha, a more compete skater at this point in time, will need a 3x3 just to give the appearance of some technical skills which will override a mishap which from past experience will happen. Also, will Sasha continue?

I'm not predicting here. I see the four of them in a struggle for the next 4 years. Each one taking their turn at a Worlds gold. I see Joannie as the spoiler.

Lots of other young talented ladies out there, but none in the company of the above four.

Joe