No-jump skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

No-jump skating

The topic is interesting. It seems to ask for a few special names who you do not rely on for jumping prowess. It's an enjoyment of blade on ice rather than blad in the air.

For example, would you really think Plushenko could get your attention without jumps?

From what I read in the replies were skaters who did well in presentation with their jumping skills. They seemed like they were enjoyed with jumping skills.

JMO - Joe

rtureck

Final Flight

Caroline Zhang, on the other hand -- well, it's too early really to form an opinion, but right now I would say that her non-jump elements are to die for,

More Caroline HYPE LOL. Her movement in field elements are excellent, but since you are talikng about skating, that means the skater should have good skating skills. Sorry, Caroline just don't have the power, ice coverage, variation of speed to be good at a non jump skating competition. Same reasoning applies to Cohen.

Back to topic, non jump skating is call ice dancing. I think Shae Lynn is excellent. Definitely Lucindah Ruh will be good.

Well, I think she (Zhang) is pretty as can be, but you might be right about power stroking, etc.

What I was really thinking about in this thread is that there are some skaters who are all about the jumps, and others (like Michelle) who use jumps so effectively that you look forward to these highlights. I actually like GKelly's idea to allow jumps but have a limit on rotations. Michelle could do a kick-butt program with a couple of split jumps and a single Axel.

Then there are skaters that, just when you start to enjoy their program, they spoil it all by throwing in a discordant jump.

Here's the difference. When Michelle skates, however lyrically, I find myself cheering, go, go, go, now JUMP!

When Alissa Czisny :love: skates I'm like, that's very nice, just don't jump, don't jump, don't...awwwwwww.

M

mars

I agreed with most of the names mention. I would also say Mao Asada and Yuna Kim.

Mao Asada just floats across the ice.
Yuna Kim is very expressive and have beautiful arms.

rtureck

Final Flight
Well, I think she (Zhang) is pretty as can be, but you might be right about power stroking, etc.

I think she is cute as a button, but your thread is about "skating", and skating means edges, basic skating skills etc Zhang does not have good enough basics to even be considered for no jump skating.

What I was really thinking about in this thread is that there are some skaters who are all about the jumps, and others (like Michelle) who use jumps so effectively that you look forward to these highlights.
Stretch the point further, there are skaters who are able to use the exit edge of their jumps and extend that to BO edge spiral (spiral in the technical sense too, i.e. with free leg at least hip height). Kristi was able to exit her 3z, 3f, 3t, 3l,, and 2a into back outside edge spirals and cover some impressive real estate over the ice. MK was able to do the same with her 3f, 2a, and 3t, Sarah with her 2a. All ladies from top Chinese pairs are able to do that with their throw jumps, and cover 1/2 the length of the rink.

I actually like GKelly's idea to allow jumps but have a limit on rotations. Michelle could do a kick-butt program with a couple of split jumps and a single Axel.
Another is Hamil

Here's the difference. When Michelle skates, however lyrically, I find myself cheering, go, go, go, now JUMP!
ITA, and add Mao too.

When Alissa Czisny :love: skates I'm like, that's very nice, just don't jump, don't jump, don't...awwwwwww.
I haven't watch Alissa enough to have an opinion. But if you go back to Peggy Flemming's commentary about Sasha Cohen @ Calgary 06. "(entering) Every jump, we (audience) are on egg shells). Skating fans are on egg shells, I think some Las Vegas bookies may make a running at it. Will she 2 foot the jump? (bet the odds are?) Will she splat and fall? (odds?), Will she scratch out of the jump by failing to stop the rotation? Will she land on the wrong edge i.e. the inside edge then break her ankle by rocking it back to the outside edge? Will she land on the correct edge? How about trifactor, combo of any 3? How about betting on something that has never happened, will she land on the correct edge ane exit the jump into a BO spiral?

I still think no jump skating is ice dancing, Shae Lynn is becoming better and better at it as a show skater.

Last edited: