Olympic Champion Hanyu keeps up the challenge | Golden Skate

Olympic Champion Hanyu keeps up the challenge

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan hopes to challenge at the 2014 ISU Grand Prix Final that will take place in less than two weeks.

More

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Nice article, thanks for posting, Hanyu sounds upbeat and confident. Wish him the
best at the GPF!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
He sounds as composed & focused as ever. I'm glad he made clear he stayed off the ice completely for a week and a half.

Hanyu, who turns 20 year old on December 7, feels that he himself hasn’t changed after winning Olympic gold, but admitted that it is sometimes difficult to deal with the attention coming from the media and the fans.

Sad to hear about this though, albeit understandable. Good thing he refrains from having any social media accounts.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Am I the only obe wondering what he watched on tv? My money is that he watched season 1 and 2 of kuroko...

.Nice interview, he is very clear in what he needs to do...hopefully his condition and mentality will improve for GPF. Best wishes for Yuzuru.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He looked awful at NHK---so thin and frail, and far from in top condition. I'm not sure he will be that much better in two weeks. Since he is determined to forge ahead, I am hoping for the best for him. I don't want to see Kovtun win the GPF.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He looked awful at NHK---so thin and frail, and far from in top condition. I'm not sure he will be that much better in two weeks. Since he is determined to forge ahead, I am hoping for the best for him. I don't want to see Kovtun win the GPF.

There are plenty of guys who can beat Kovtun at the GPF. Kovtun may have been fortunate that Hanyu royally bombed his CoC FS and that TEB the rest of the field was meh so he could afford a sloppy SP... but at the GPF, I'm pretty sure Machida and Fernandez will be gunning for that top spot. I hope Hanyu's healthy enough to put on a great show, but I'd be unsurprised if he placed off the podium or even last. Kovtun is a question mark, although I think he'll be 3rd. Mura/Voronov might do well technically, but don't have high PCS which will hold them back.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Kovtun may have been fortunate that Hanyu royally bombed his CoC FS and that TEB the rest of the field was meh so he could afford a sloppy SP.

If the accident between Hanyu and Han Yan did not happened, the results would be different at CoC/TEB/NKH for Kovtun, Hanyu and Han Yan :bang:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If the accident between Hanyu and Han Yan did not happened, the results would be different at CoC/TEB/NKH for Kovtun, Hanyu and Han Yan :bang:

Perhaps. Hanyu most certainly wouldn't have had 5 falls although given his poor SP the night before I doubt he would have skated lights out either. Yan would have likely skated better too but not enough to podium I don't think. And who knows, Kovtun might have skated better if he hadn't been spooked by the collision himself, so he still could have won. Yan would have probably skated better at TEB (although not enough to beat Kovtun), and Hanyu might have skated better at NHK, but likely not well enough to beat Murakami (probably well enough for the podium though).

We'll never know.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Perhaps. Hanyu most certainly wouldn't have had 5 falls although given his poor SP the night before I doubt he would have skated lights out either. Yan would have likely skated better too but not enough to podium I don't think. And who knows, Kovtun might have skated better if he hadn't been spooked by the collision himself, so he still could have won. Yan would have probably skated better at TEB (although not enough to beat Kovtun), and Hanyu might have skated better at NHK, but likely not well enough to beat Murakami (probably well enough for the podium though).
We'll never know.
Perhaps Yuzuru could have smash the world record had not been for the collision. and perhaps Han Yan could have reached 90 points for his SP at TEB. And perhaps with the different skate order, Kovtun could have skated much worse at TEB. And perhaps with more pressure, Murakami could have skated badly just like Mura.
We will never know.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Honestly I think Murakami had the least expectations and its not like he was gunning to qualify for the GPF, so I'm thinking he still would have turned out that brilliant skate. :)

Kovtun was super fortunate at TEB to have made the final flight. It could have changed his whole mentality.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Honestly I think Murakami had the least expectations and its not like he was gunning to qualify for the GPF, so I'm thinking he still would have turned out that brilliant skate. :)
Kovtun was super fortunate at TEB to have made the final flight. It could have changed his whole mentality.
Yes, that's why I will wait until Murakami skates under true pressure to see if he can handle it. Like Mura. He won against Javi who was under more pressure and small injuries. Then at NHK he crumbled at LP as he couldn't handle the pressure of skating last. I don't count Murakami yet because of that. Let's wait and see can he do that again under huge pressure.

Same for Kovtun, I think he had a good LP partially thanks to the skate order, what if he is the one who skates last and other before him do very well.

Let's wait and see.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Murakami isn't the most seasoned competitor but hopefully his NHK win gives him confidence. Obviously if Machida/Mura/Hanyu are on they'll defeat him but those guys have all shown weak performances at some point or another so it's up in the air. I love Murakami's quad salchow though. It's not the highest but it looks very clean and crisp.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Murakami isn't the most seasoned competitor but hopefully his NHK win gives him confidence. Obviously if Machida/Mura/Hanyu are on they'll defeat him but those guys have all shown weak performances at some point or another so it's up in the air. I love Murakami's quad salchow though. It's not the highest but it looks very clean and crisp.
We have seen good competitors have done not so well under pressure. For example, PChiddy. He has had so many good performances under pressure and still he also had bad performances under pressure. And certainly PChiddy has won enough titles for his confidence. So I am not sure about confidence boost for any skater.
I don't know if Murakami is that good with pressure. Like before NHK I expected Mura to win, but it turned out Mura's not that good with pressure as well, after placing 1st in SP.
Murakami was not the one who skated last in both SP and LP at NHK. So I can't tell for now. He is a good skater, I agree. But let's see how he copes up with pressure.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A new personal best in the long (194.08). Nice! Congrats on his second consecutive win at the GPF!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
There are plenty of guys who can beat Kovtun at the GPF. Kovtun may have been fortunate that Hanyu royally bombed his CoC FS and that TEB the rest of the field was meh so he could afford a sloppy SP... but at the GPF, I'm pretty sure Machida and Fernandez will be gunning for that top spot. I hope Hanyu's healthy enough to put on a great show, but I'd be unsurprised if he placed off the podium or even last. Kovtun is a question mark, although I think he'll be 3rd. Mura/Voronov might do well technically, but don't have high PCS which will hold them back.

Well, CanadianSkaterGuy, we were both surprised weren't we? He was brilliant. I also thought he would be lucky to get bronze but he smashed my very low expectations of him.
I'm more happy than I can express.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
When he is on he is just amazing. I hope he will skate the lights out at worlds and crack the 300.

leolion11

On the Ice
When he is on he is just amazing. I hope he will skate the lights out at worlds and crack the 300.

:agree: I hope that will happen too, but honestly he's not exactly known to skate two really good programs in one competition, and even now he still hasn't skated two clean programs at one go (correct me if I'm wrong), so what are the odds of him doing both a good SP and LP at worlds? I'll like it to happen, but it'll probably take a miracle for him to do so.