Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

princess9

On the Ice
I said this in another thread but if it does not work on the ice and Canada no longer buys what they offer, perhaps Jamie could reteam with Anton. He has no partner and it would be a rebirth for both skaters. The good friends connection may be more marjetable than a false and dead fairy tale.

aurora100

Final Flight
I said this in another thread but if it does not work on the ice and Canada no longer buys what they offer, perhaps Jamie could reteam with Anton. He has no partner and it would be a rebirth for both skaters. The good friends connection may be more marjetable than a false and dead fairy tale.

Another surprise, Anton doesn't have a partner? No longer with Elena. Sorry, I know this is Sale and Pelletier thread. Just saying.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I can't say I am shocked as there have been rumors about everything not being hearts and flowers between them as of late, but I am surprised they are making an official split. Jamie and David had a very rocky on-again, off-again relationship through their skating years, I remember reading that she had gottten into a big argument two weeks before Salt Lake and that she would not even talk to him on some of the practice sessions. I knew they would have a very passionate marriage (both bad and good passion), but I always expected them to weather the rough patches. Sorry to hear this :-(

Well considering all the problems they appear to have had both before and after the marriage, it's not that surprising.

Some of the articles also point out that Pelletier left his first wife for Sale, and so it's not as if this relationship was the beautiful fairytale it was portrayed to be by the media.

wallylutz

Medalist
Another surprise, Anton doesn't have a partner? No longer with Elena. Sorry, I know this is Sale and Pelletier thread. Just saying.

The irony is Elena actually skated with David during a show competition recently and Jamie, of course, skated with somebody else as well.

A few months ago, I saw David Pelletier at the airport waiting for a flight on his own after a competition. It did raise some ??? in my head when Jamie wasn't with him but given his character, David is a quiet person and somewhat a loner, it didn't really surprise me per say. There was no entourage to speak of, which you'd expect from a coach and a former Olympic Gold medalist - but nothing, not even a friend to talk to. He was just waiting there by himself. Still, I am a little surprised by this news. Skaters' personal life typically doesn't interest me so I don't usually speculate. I know it's hard to keep a relationship going however whenever you hear this kind of separation, it's always shocking to hear I think because we are raised to believe in fairy tales. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works for most people.

Shades of Isabelle Duchesnay and Christopher Dean. Some people are better at drama than at the day-to-day efforts needed for an enduring marriage, I guess. I have to remind myself that what we see on the ice is the real thing artistically but not necessarily in terms of off-ice life. It reminds me of something Alexander Zhulin said after he broke up romantically with Maia Usova but kept skating with her: on the ice, he loved only Maia.

lavender

Record Breaker
Not surprised. I had a feeling David would be getting another divorce...don't know why. Maybe it's best that he remain single.

Some of the articles also point out that Pelletier left his first wife for Sale

Yeah usually when this happens this is how it ends and I knew that David had a wife when he was with Jamie. This is why I had this feeling.

I guess I'm the only one not surprised.

Last edited:

princess9

On the Ice
I think the only surprise will be if there is a third one. Wife I mean. He's a very sexy guy and I expect he will try again, though I somehow get the feeling he is more down about this than Jamie. She seems to be glowing. She looked very happy and healthy. I think she loves being a mom even more than the limelight.

kyla2

Final Flight
Not Surprised

Not at all surprised by this. David left his first wife for Jamie Sale and it was a very sad situation for his first wife. When a second marriage is started on those terms, it is a recipe for disaster. Not surprised, in fact I thought it was simply a matter of time. Sorry for their child, who will be the one most hurt by this.

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
Shades of Isabelle Duchesnay and Christopher Dean. Some people are better at drama than at the day-to-day efforts needed for an enduring marriage, I guess. I have to remind myself that what we see on the ice is the real thing artistically but not necessarily in terms of off-ice life. It reminds me of something Alexander Zhulin said after he broke up romantically with Maia Usova but kept skating with her: on the ice, he loved only Maia.

But, in general, personal relationships between skating couples are not a good idea. Isabelle Duchesnay publicly warned the next Mrs.Dean(Jill Trenary) that Christopher Dean was incapable of being faithful. Ms.Duchesnay was correct. Jane Torvill obviously made the correct decision(from the outset) to have no personal relationship with Christopher Dean. Jane Torvill would have had her heart broken, and the Torvill & Dean skating partnership would have ended before they ever got to an Olympics. Let's be thankful that Virtue & Moir's on ice "romance" is only "acting"(as they themselves have stated). That's showbiz.......

Last edited:

kyla2

Final Flight
Phil Cohen you are exactly right. When I tried to post the split of Trenary and Dean on this site, they shut it down because it "wasn't confirmed." All they had to do was google the newspaper articles. It was quite true in every respect. I think some sports figures are narcissists. Totally self involved and unconcerned about the damage they cause as they roll through life. I once watched film footage of Torville and Dean as they practiced. I was stunned at his treatment of her. She was literally in tears. I would have left the ice permanently and never looked back. I can imagine being married to him was no day at the beach.

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
Phil Cohen you are exactly right. When I tried to post the split of Trenary and Dean on this site, they shut it down because it "wasn't confirmed." All they had to do was google the newspaper articles. It was quite true in every respect. I think some sports figures are narcissists. Totally self involved and unconcerned about the damage they cause as they roll through life. I once watched film footage of Torville and Dean as they practiced. I was stunned at his treatment of her. She was literally in tears. I would have left the ice permanently and never looked back. I can imagine being married to him was no day at the beach.
The split between Dean & Trenary was inevitable, as Dean spent half of each year(for the last 4 years) in England as featured pro skater(with Torvill) and coach on a highly successful British T.V. show "Dancing on Ice"(conceptually similar to the short-lived American series "Skating With Celebrities",but the British show selects highly athletic,fearless celebrities and turns them into nearly pro level ice dancers via an intense 2 month "crash" course with Torvill & Dean.....though a few of the celebrities go to the hospital along the way!). This left Trenary with no husband, and not suprisingly Dean found new romance with one of the celebrities on the T.V. show.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Please remember to keep the discussion out of the rumormill. If it isnt in the respectable news media keep it out of the discussion. Thanks.

princess9

On the Ice
What is respectable news media? The Enquirer was the first to break news repeatedly that was correct in the year that OJ rocked the nation. It was required reading for those law clerks under Dershowitz and company. While waiting at the CVS I read stuff that would the next week be confirmed on evening news. Remember the first proof that OJ owned a pair of the Bruno magli shoes whose imprint was at crime scene? Enquirer got it first. The news now is more interested with telling us about Tiger Woods or Jesse James than what they should cover.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
tabloids do get it right on occassion, however they do not follow the journalistic "ethics" in how they verify "facts" they use/state rumor as fact. It is better to use a "hard news" provider than rinkside gossip chains/other message board members.

if you have any questions the guidelines can be viewed in the feedback forum and questions about them can and should be asked there, not on the main forum.

heyang

Record Breaker
The split between Dean & Trenary was inevitable, as Dean spent half of each year(for the last 4 years) in England as featured pro skater(with Torvill) and coach on a highly successful British T.V. show "Dancing on Ice"(conceptually similar to the short-lived American series "Skating With Celebrities",but the British show selects highly athletic,fearless celebrities and turns them into nearly pro level ice dancers via an intense 2 month "crash" course with Torvill & Dean.....though a few of the celebrities go to the hospital along the way!). This left Trenary with no husband, and not suprisingly Dean found new romance with one of the celebrities on the T.V. show.

I'm sure the seperation due to work lives had a lot to do with their split. With 2 young sons, she probably didnt'/couldn't travel with him and they grew apart. Very few marriages can survive on numerous extended seperations. Wrong to cheat, yes - but also easy to understand how it happened.

heyang

Record Breaker

I've found that it's best to include the links. I'm sure this thread would've been shut down if not for the inclusion of the official announcement from a reputable site.

http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/dancin...claims-dancing-on-ice-wrecked-their-marriage/
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sho...er-Deans-wife-reveals-truth-behind-split.html
Based on the links , the 2 were seperated (officially for them) 18 months - Jill did not file due to infidelity. As it takes 2 to make a relationship work, I do wonder if they discussed Jill moving to the UK..

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
I've found that it's best to include the links. I'm sure this thread would've been shut down if not for the inclusion of the official announcement from a reputable site.

http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/dancin...claims-dancing-on-ice-wrecked-their-marriage/
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sho...er-Deans-wife-reveals-truth-behind-split.html
Based on the links , the 2 were seperated (officially for them) 18 months - Jill did not file due to infidelity. As it takes 2 to make a relationship work, I do wonder if they discussed Jill moving to the UK..

There were some cynical forum members who doubted that the circumstances of the Dean/Trenary split(as I described those circumstances) were true. As you now see, they ARE true.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
i've found that it's best to include the links. i'm sure this thread would've been shut down if not for the inclusion of the official announcement from a reputable site.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sho...er-deans-wife-reveals-truth-behind-split.html
based on the links , the 2 were seperated (officially for them) 18 months - jill did not file due to infidelity. As it takes 2 to make a relationship work, i do wonder if they discussed jill moving to the uk..

exactly.

herios

Medalist
I am catching up on this thread and all I have to say for those who are afraid their depart might have not been amicable, for their son's sake, they seemed pretty relaxed and amicable while they commented these Olympics, actaully joking several times.
When Mukhortova / Trankov skated to "Love story". they said this music brings up memories to them...
Everything seemed very friendly.
If they live apart for 18 months, then they surely moved on and there is no tension at all there.
As far as folks saying on ice relationships do not work out off ice, I beg to differ. It always depends who is involved, as it takes two to tango.
I will count from the top of my head 4 top russian couples, greatly successful on ice who had lasting marriages: Pakhomova / Gorshkov, Moiseeva / Minenkov. Linichuk / Karponosov and Klimova / Ponomarenko.
We don't need to bring up always the bad examples like Usva / Zhulin.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
and of course the greatest Russian Love Story, Sergei and Katia (and Katia and Ilia fo good measure!)