Osmond still confident | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Osmond still confident

lyverbird1

Final Flight
What is it with Kaetlyn and THAT damn triple loop at the same point in the LP every time? Is it down to a fitness level thing that she's running a bit out of steam right then or, like Gabby, does she just not favour the loop? I can nearly feel the Eurosport commentators holding their "Oh, that's a shame!" comment for that moment already. I really hope she can get over that and use the mental boost to go clean in the second half of the programme at Olympics!

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn said that "Swan Lake" was her choice and that it is something she's always wanted to skate to.

Oh yes, I didn't mean that they forced her to! I just wonder why they kept it when they realized it doesn't really fit her\work for her... or maybe they don't think so!

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
What is it with Kaetlyn and THAT damn triple loop at the same point in the LP every time? Is it down to a fitness level thing that she's running a bit out of steam right then or, like Gabby, does she just not favour the loop? I can nearly feel the Eurosport commentators holding their "Oh, that's a shame!" comment for that moment already. I really hope she can get over that and use the mental boost to go clean in the second half of the programme at Olympics!

I seem to remember hearing that Kaetlyn didn't have a triple loop before her injury (Please correct me if I'm wrong), and then, as she was rebuilding everything from scratch, she was able to learn it. So, it presumably is her least confident triple.

Tutto

Record Breaker
All the years Sasha Cohen competed I tried to figure out whether it was a lack of stamina or inability to keep her focus for 4 min that prevented her to skate clean long programs. I never came up with definite answer. I fear that Kaetlyn is like Sasha in that respect, alas... Still hope she will have a skate of her life at Olympics :pray:

skatenewbie

Medalist
she need to remove 3Lo from her program... its her nemesis from last season. Pop/UR/fall/stepout...but sometimes she does it on 3F/2A/3S too though. i hope she can have skate of her life in Olympic...

millie

Medalist
All the years Sasha Cohen competed I tried to figure out whether it was a lack of stamina or inability to keep her focus for 4 min that prevented her to skate clean long programs. I never came up with definite answer. I fear that Kaetlyn is like Sasha in that respect, alas... Still hope she will have a skate of her life at Olympics :pray:

I am with you on this subject. Sasha was my favourite and now Kaetlyn. I have to be honest, I could not watch Sasha live and now the same with Kaetlyn. It is too nerve wrecking to watch because I have to close my eyes when she jumps because I have this fear that she is going to fall. So I wait for the results and then watch...lol...so that it is not as heartbreaking. We know she can do these jumps in practice, why not in competition. Go figure..oh my

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am with you on this subject. Sasha was my favourite and now Kaetlyn. I have to be honest, I could not watch Sasha live and now the same with Kaetlyn. It is too nerve wrecking to watch because I have to close my eyes when she jumps because I have this fear that she is going to fall. So I wait for the results and then watch...lol...so that it is not as heartbreaking. We know she can do these jumps in practice, why not in competition. Go figure..oh my

And both could skate perfect SPs only to fail again and again in the long. Before anyone says that it is easier to skate clean SP (less jumps to fall on), just think how many skaters fail to do so. And it is not like both Sasha & Kaetlyn totally bomb LP - no, just flawed by one or two mistakes when perfection is expected. Another similarity between the two - is that always another competitor would have a skate of their life and snatch the victory which could have been Sasha's/ Kaetlyn's otherwise even with a sub-par skates (see Worlds 2004 - Arakawa, Worlds 2005 - Slutskaya, Nationals 2018 - Daleman etc)

millie

Medalist
I would honestly love to see Kaetlyn skate to the 2002 Chicago OST for a free program. Yeah yeah, I know it’s a warhorse in its own right, but Kaetlyn really excels at bringing out her personality when she skates to Fosse show tunes, they match her sublime performance skills to a tee. Her Sweet Charity/Big Spender/Rich Man’s Frug SP from four years ago was my everything. :love:

As much as I really enjoy Mariah Bell’s short program, I think Kaetlyn could take “Roxie” to a whole new level and knock it out of the park.

I’d also love for her to skate to the Come From Away OST, mainly to pay homage to her Newfie roots. For those of you unfamiliar with this musical, it’s based on the true story of how on 9/11, 38 planes carrying nearly 7000 passengers were diverted to the airport in Gander, Newfoundland, population: 10,000. The small town took these people in with open arms for about a week until the flying restrictions ended

Side note: Mariah’s program is one of Yuzurudaughter’s favourites this year. She’s been begging me to see the movie. Sorry kid, you’re a bit young at this point. ;)

Thank you for bringing this topic up about Come From Away and about how 7000 passengers were stranded in a little town of 10000 people in Newfoundland, the home province of Kaetlyn. This is why Kaetlyn is so down to earth and know that she comes from strong roots.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was finally able to watch Kaetlyn and Gabby back to back......Gabby was certainly cleaner and landed everything. However, I still feel like Kaetlyn is the better skater between the 2. Gabby does have beautiful jumps but Kaetlyn, IMO, is beautiful skater. Her posture and poise are simply beautiful and if she can skate 2 flawless programs in Korea, I think she'll be on the podium, I really do.

anyanka

Record Breaker
The jumps, when clean, were the best of the field. But ... she's got to get it together for a clean FS. She has to look out not just for the Russians, Caro and Satoko, but also Gabby now.

I think she has the right perspective. When she got that score at nationals, she looked surprised at it, almost seemed to chuckle, and said "oh ... kay" as if she knew she would have been scored lower.

I love Kaetlyn, but now is the time for her to bring out her killer instinct if she wants an individual Olympic medal. When Gabby took the ice right after Kaetlyn, she smelled blood, she knew she had a clear shot at the national title and she took it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She had a sublime first half to her FS, but silly errors in the 2nd half. Now that Gabby grabbed that win, hopefully that eases the pressure off her and motivates her to go lights out in the Olympics.

Love the level of artistry she brought to her FS though -- finally, it's looking the way in needs to be to be worthy of an Olympic medal, assuming the elements are there too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
There were like Mirai and Bradie at US Nationals. Bradie landed everything and certainly deserved the win. However, I still think Mirai is the better skater between them. On any given day, I think there places could switch. I feel both Gabby and Bradie have to skate perfectly if they're going to stay on top in their respective countries.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently Bradie has no problem skating perfectly, as she's done it four out of four competitions so far this season. Gabby is one for four. Mirai and Kaetlyn don't seem to be able to skate perfect freeskates at all.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Apparently Bradie has no problem skating perfectly, as she's done it four out of four competitions so far this season. Gabby is one for four. Mirai and Kaetlyn don't seem to be able to skate perfect freeskates at all.

If Bradie skates a blinder, I hope that the international judges reward her accordingly. She's been a revelation this season.

Osmond needs to Bring. It. On.

anyanka

Record Breaker
That was an inflated NATIONALS score, not an ISU score. She got 136 and 137 for her two GP freeskates and 138 for the GPF freeskate.

Even she seemed surprised by it. I think she tried not to burst out laughing.

Bcash

Final Flight
It's good she talks up her confidence. But no one realistically expects her to pull off a clean long at the Olympics now. She just doesn't do clean long. The hope of stopping Russian ladies would have to lie with Kostner now.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
No matter what the Russians do, Bradie vs. Kaetlyn will be an interesting duel. But maybe in the end Gabby will turn out to be the laughing third. ;)

millie

Medalist
With Kaetlyn on everyone's mind and everyone talking about her means that she has made it to the big time....haha....and if she don't make it, she is right next to Gabby cheering her on...

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
What would give Kaetlyn Osmond confidence is working on the second-half of Swan Lake a lot more. The last four jumping passes have given her a LOT of trouble, with issues on at least 2 of 4, all across the season.

Autumn Classic: 3Lo, 3F, 3S+2T (no 2Lo), 1A (pop)
Skate Canada: 3Lo, 2F (pop), 3S+2T+2Lo, 2A (fall)
Internationaux de France: 3Lo (fall), 3F, 3S+2T+2Lo, 1A (pop)
Grand Prix Final: 2Lo (pop), 3F, 3S (fall), 2A+2T+2Lo
Nationals: 3Lo (step-out), 3F (fall), 3S+2T+1Lo (pop), 2A