Pairs Free - Notes & Results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free - Notes & Results

Kateri

On the Ice
Such a strange situation - it feels like S&Z won, yet they didn't!
That's the way it goes, I guess...

Well done to everyone in the last couple of groups though - such a high standard! Third place skaters getting 6.0 - it says a lot for them, and even more for those that beat them!

And well done Pet&Tik for finally letting me get excited by one of their programmes!

k

hongligl

Final Flight
Can't wait to see-- Thank you Rosaleen

Ptichka said:
Thank you Rosaleen soooo much for those reports. Here are actually the scores of the top 3:

1 Xue SHEN / Hongbo ZHAO CHN
5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 6.0 6.0
5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0
2 Tatiana TOTMIANINA / Maxim MARININ RUS
5.6 5.6 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9
5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 6.0
3 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN
5.6 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8
5.7 5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 6.0

Despite everything, I am glad for T&M.

I'm so excited from Rosaleen's description. Good job Shen/Zhao!!!
Great that Xue Shen/ Hongbo Zhao and Pang/Tong both had great performances. Can't wait to see. I would like to see why Pang/Tong is behind Tot/Mar

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Man-o-Man.........what a comeback from 4th to second.........Shen and Zhao are "Gold" in my books, at a level way above the Russians, but to their credit, they did put the clean skates out there when they counted............and what about Pang and Tong, my second favorite pair..........wow..........

Kudo's to the Americans for making the top ten in their first Worlds! A job well done!

Thanks Rosaleen for your remarkable reporting!!!:) 42

sarahmistral

On the Ice
You're absolutely right, Evdokia; I was listening to the Eurosport broadcast, and the crowd was positively berserk with excitement over Pang & Tong's sensational skate. Totmianina & Marinin HAD to deliver in very rough conditions, knowing any little misstep would lose them the gold, as Shen & Zhao, having to redeem themselves after the short, came out determined to skate for gold and did so, even with it out of their reach--my hat goes off to T&M for "throwing down" when all the top three placements were so closely contested and when they were essentially the hunted, in first place after the short--they held on like champions, unafraid.

Probably the most exciting pairs competition in years; the Eurosport guys (anyone know who the commentators are?) said it was the highest quality competition ever, or some equally glowing superlative:) I loved how they create tension and excitement in their broadcasts, never failing to get worked up about the skating, regardless of whether they have a hometown hero in the mix or not; they sound like they're rooting for great performances across the board, and there sure were some tonight in Dortmund!

Sarah

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Just a thought...

I can't wait to see the top skaters on TV!! Sounds like some really great performances.

Given the circumstances at this event where as it turned out, S&Z could win the day but not the comp, I wonder how M&M feel?

I can't even imagine what a high it would be to put down the performance of a lifetime, win the free, and win the gold. On the flip side, would it feel a bit less exciting to NOT win the free and win the gold?

I am NOT questioning the results here. Just speculating about the range of emotions that this situation might bring, especially at the medal ceremony right after the comp with emotions are still running high for the skaters and the audience, etc.

DG

brenlynn

On the Ice
sarahmistral said:

Probably the most exciting pairs competition in years; the Eurosport guys (anyone know who the commentators are?) said it was the highest quality competition ever, or some equally glowing superlative:) I loved how they create tension and excitement in their broadcasts, never failing to get worked up about the skating, regardless of whether they have a hometown hero in the mix or not; they sound like they're rooting for great performances across the board, and there sure were some tonight in Dortmund!

Sarah

their names are chris and simon... last names, i have no clue! but i rather do enjoy them!!

Evdokia

On the Ice
brenlynn said:
their names are chris and simon... last names, i have no clue! but i rather do enjoy them!!

Last names: Chris HOWARTH (hope spelling right?) and Simon REED. And I love their commentating too! :love:

Ninjagirl

Rinkside
What can I say?
This was my dream and it finally came true!! I have alwasy been a fan of "the Russians". I am so happy for Tanya and Maxim :D

And another pair of 6.0s for technical and presentation from Judge Rgirl for ROSALEE! Wow, really stellar reporting! And very much appreciated. Can we get you a job doing TV commentary for the US?:)

As for the results: Would have loved to have seen S&Z get back-to-back World golds, but the likelihood of that happening was almost nil after the short. Still they showed their mettle yet again in the free and I can't wait to see it. (What is it with so many "Swan Lakes" this year? It's always popular, but this year it's more like "Swan Tidal Wave.")

T&M aren't warm skaters, but someone whose skating judgment I trust and who has seen them live a number of times says the strength in the stroking, edges, and overall technique is superb. He said he didn't think much of them watching them on TV, but that once he saw them live he had a completely different opinion of them. As someone else said, as much as she wanted S&Z to win gold, they didn't stay on their feet and it wouldn't have been right.

Especially after US Nats, it will be great to see pairs be a highlight of the competition. Congrats to all the pairs who did a great job!
Rgirl

Anke G

Rinkside
Evdokia said:
Last names: Chris HOWARTH (hope spelling right?) and Simon REED. And I love their commentating too! :love:

Simon Reed is a British sports journalist, I think, and Chris Howarth is a former British skater who is now helping the Dutch program.

See an interview with him at Europe on Ice:
http://www.europeonice.com/interviewchris2003_content.htm

I love listening to them, and then reading Rosaleen's details to fill in the gaps. THANKS ROSALEEN!!

Antilles

Medalist
Well, ten 6.0s. I bet we'll be seeing lots of sixes throughout the rest of the competiton. The judges seem to be sending the system out with a bang.

Happy for T&M. It was a nice program. and they deserved it. Nice for China too. I think L&A should have been ahead of O&S though.

SK8GR8

Rinkside
Rgirl said:

As for the results: Would have loved to have seen S&Z get back-to-back World golds, but the likelihood of that happening was almost nil after the short. Still they showed their mettle yet again in the free and I can't wait to see it. (What is it with so many "Swan Lakes" this year? It's always popular, but this year it's more like "Swan Tidal Wave.")

I think that Shen&Zhao are actually skating to Nutcracker, not Swan Lake, at least that's what they have been using all season. An honest mistake--both popular, somewhat overdone Tchaikovsky ballets!

Antilles

Medalist
Very interesting article. It's refreshing to not see country bias. They should send some of that here to Canada. ;)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Thanks for the link. I agree with it on every point. I did feel a little bad for T & M. That's not exactly the way anyone dreams it's going to happen.

I, too, thought the CBC announcers were laying it on waaaay too thick. It seemed a bit ridiculous. At least the athletes were much more gracious.

insecureedge

On the Ice
Sounds like an amazing competition all around, with T&M making up for their weak showings earlier in the year and S&Z roaring back from 4th to 2nd with ten 6.0s indicating an inspired performance. Can't wait to see it, though Rosaleen's report are the next best thing.

InsecureEdge

GoldenLady

On the Ice
Thanks again Rosaleen, for a job brilliantly done!!!

So nice to see Shen and Zhao put down such a terrific skate..... They really stole the show with that performance - and what a thrill to see all those 6.0s come up on the board! :love:

Just a comment about S/Z's skate: the music was the Pas de Deux from the Nutcracker, not Swan Lake. I thought it was a beautiful program - great choreography and lots of emotion. :)

I would have had Pang and Tong in second.... But it was great to see them on the medal podium, in any case, and I'm sure Bin Yao must be thrilled beyond words to have two of his pairs teams on the podium, and three in the top five.

Effy

Rinkside
I have seen all European and Worlds Champoinships since 1963, when I was a little girl. So I also saw last nights competion. But I must say that this was not the second greatest pair skate, as it has been judged to be and it makes one long for new judges and a new judging system.

The chinese couple did not outskate all other skaters in history and it could also be argued that they did not even outskate the rest of the competition. In short they skates at their usual standard. Great throws (if you look at her, not at him), weak traveling pirouettes, a jump combination au pair with the second best group of skaters and an ice coverage and basic stroking that is not top notch. I will not mention body lines. But under the circumstances it was a gutsy performance.

I fail to understand how a panel can be so unanoumous in given so high scores. Was it because it was the last time they can randomly throw 6.0 or was it to send a signal that they really wants S&Z to win at Torino 2006? Or did they think that because the competition was allready decided it would not matter, how the judge? In all cases the motivation would be wrong. A judges must judge the performance, not anything else. I my eyes this is as big a judging scandale as SLC, but will probably go totally unnoticed.

From what I saw:

Z6Z Best ever skate. Thez will be readz for 2006.
Z&S Wonderful lifts and grand skating but lack personality
O&L Very nice but had their faults.
L&A Again very nice but not zet up to medalling.

P&T - Fine but for me they are bland.
P&T A team waiting to win. Thez need a lot of refinery.
S&Z IMO, the greatest Pairs of all time. The performance last night was equal to if not greater than Wash, DC. The only way for them to lose is to make silly mistakes.

T&M A truly beautiful Pair Team. Will keep S&Z on theikr toes.

Joe

Effy

Rinkside
Greatest team of all time?

Do you actually find that S&Z are greater than G&G? Please explain if that is your conclusion.

I will admit that they have developed sides of their iof their skating, which was not so good, but the greatest pair ever. But apperantly the judges last night agrees with you