Pairs' Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Pairs' Short Program

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, K/S, eat that haters.
Long Program starting order is up and K/S are last one to take the ice.
http://www.isufs.org/results/wc2008/SEG006.HTM

Oh, I hope skating last doesn't put more pressure and nervousness on Kawaguchi/Smirnov. The medal battle between S/S, Z/Z, K/S, D/D, and P/T sure is exciting! I think 1 and 2 will be S/S and Z/Z. The bronze is a 3 way battle I'm not even going to try and predict. Good luck to them all!

oxade21

Match Penalty
Oh, I hope skating last doesn't put more pressure and nervousness on Kawaguchi/Smirnov. The medal battle between S/S, Z/Z, K/S, D/D, and P/T sure is exciting! I think 1 and 2 will be S/S and Z/Z. The bronze is a 3 way battle I'm not even going to try and predict. Good luck to them all!

If they land the QUAD and make no major mistake, I say K/S will not only get bronze but could challenge for silver. I am doubtful with P/T draw and current health condition, they will be able to challenge. D/D do not have enough technical content to challenge K/S, they shall rely on the latter's mistakes.

Medusa

Record Breaker
If they land the QUAD and make no major mistake, I say K/S will not only get bronze but could challenge for silver. I am doubtful with P/T draw and current health condition, they will be able to challenge. D/D do not have enough technical content to challenge K/S, they shall rely on the latter's mistakes.

Kawaguchi/Smirnov don't make many major mistakes (like a fall, or popping a jump), they didn't at Nationals or at Europeans. They make so many little mistakes - a step-out there, hand down here, shaky footwork - it tends to look scratchy. I would love them to win a medal, but I don't really see them winning one (despite my previous post, that was more wishful dreaming). This scratchyness makes them very exciting to watch, a bit like Lysacek - they fight for it, they (especially she) want(s) it! That's what makes them exciting in my eyes. Their technique, e.g. on the sbs jumps, is not the best (in fact, wasn't that the best 3T they did this season? - the one at Europeans was also good...). But hey, Lysacek is a two-time World Bronze Medallist :cool:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Very good competition. Boy was I impressed with Z/Z, they sure brought their A+ game today. Can't wait for the LP.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Kawaguchi/Smirnov don't make many major mistakes (like a fall, or popping a jump), they didn't at Nationals or at Europeans. They make so many little mistakes - a step-out there, hand down here, shaky footwork - it tends to look scratchy. I would love them to win a medal, but I don't really see them winning one (despite my previous post, that was more wishful dreaming). This scratchyness makes them very exciting to watch, a bit like Lysacek - they fight for it, they (especially she) want(s) it! That's what makes them exciting in my eyes. Their technique, e.g. on the sbs jumps, is not the best (in fact, wasn't that the best 3T they ever did?). But hey, Lysacek is a two-time World Bronze Medallist :cool:

Well, this is good point. And what everyone who saw this competition is talking about is the fact that their little things u mentioned have improved dramatically.
The basic skating skills and the flow that is hard ti match up with high technical content for such young team. Despite Yuko's age they have not been skating for long and it shows.
I did not see more scratchiness in their skating then say in Z/Z's. It is all about points and levels, the PCS come along as soon as you get judges respect that comes from different sources;)

rain

Record Breaker
I am thrilled to see all three Canadian pairs in the top 10. What a great result if they can stay there. D/D are in an excellent position to challenge for a medal — all that one could have expected. Very good for Duhamel and Buntin in their first big international outing. They have to be really pleased.

The top 2 are as expected. I'm afraid I can't work up much enthusiasm for either team, unfortunately. Just a matter of personal taste.

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
The commentator from my country had the nerve to say Craig Buntin found a partner so much prettier than Valerie Marcoux. Since when this is relevant? That coment was pretty much unnecessary and unprofessional.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I am thrilled to see all three Canadian pairs in the top 10. What a great result if they can stay there. D/D are in an excellent position to challenge for a medal — all that one could have expected. Very good for Duhamel and Buntin in their first big international outing. They have to be really pleased.

The top 2 are as expected. I'm afraid I can't work up much enthusiasm for either team, unfortunately. Just a matter of personal taste.

Kudos to you. It is a pleasant surprise as DB have dumbed down their elements due to Buntin's injury. The lifts and twist were not as technically challenging as they were at Nationals. One would never know, how high they can go if they have everything together the way they are capable of.

I'm a bit disappointed with L/H's placement, though. Tomorrow is another day for them.

Go Cdn pairs Go!!!

mizu_iro

Final Flight
The commentator from my country had the nerve to say Craig Buntin found a partner so much prettier than Valerie Marcoux. Since when this is relevant? That coment was pretty much unnecessary and unprofessional.

I hate to say it, but I was thinking the same thing. While Meagan and Craig's lines on the ice don't match that well yet, they are certainly a very, very photogenic couple. Valerie was a better fit for Craig in terms of lifts and style, though. We'll see what happens in the future - D/B is very promising so far.

MissCleo

On the Ice
Here's my 2 cents ...
I am not a fan of K/S, but to give credit where credit is due, they skated a great short. On espn360, there was a clip of them going through their straightline footwork in a basketball court. It was intense! I was so impressed.
I am glad that despite all the injuries that all three Canadian teams are in the top ten. I enjoyed all of their performances.
Finally, I'm a disappointed that both US teams are so low. I was so hoping for a good skate from Castille/Okolski.
Good luck to all tomorrow! ( probably more correct to say later today)