Patrick Chan | Page 423 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
not sure why..i ended up in this thread post sochi... people were wondering if patrick would retire or not

our friend skatingfan4ever said this
Whatever happens in the future, I am a Patrick fan for life!

i have been crying non-stop for 3 minutes

see you all tomorrow with puffy eyes

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
not sure why..i ended up in this thread post sochi... people were wondering if patrick would retire or not

our friend skatingfan4ever said this

i have been crying non-stop for 3 minutes

see you all tomorrow with puffy eyes

:ghug::ghug::ghug:!!!

Patrick is one of very few skaters to me who I enjoy regardless of final results. He is not made nor deifined or limited by his jumping abilities, which are so important and decisive factors for so many people nowadays who consider skater attention- or admiration-worthy only if he has certain amount of quads in his programs. Patrick is and was always more than that - and that comes from person who went a really long road to appreciate Patrick's skating, to understand it and from where he comes with it. Some people are just too close to one, limited image conjured in their minds about figure skating - it's a lot easier to be a fan of skating in general than only a fan of one, particular skater. And I still cannot understand why not to cherish your favourite skater's successes, skills, stuff and instead waste energy for bashing, depreciating other skaters' successes/rise...

regarding post-Sochi debates...I consider those discussions about better stay as retired than return to competition after being in hiatus irrelevant, it's just better to look at them politely and move on quickly, especially if a skater who is coming back to competition is the one you enjoy watching. Same was (and still is) with Tessa and Scott - like Patrick, they are mature, responsible and professional and they came to decision to compete again, and I feel personally that they came back not for the results themselves, but mostly because of love for the sport and thrill of the competition, for going beyond themselves regarding that space. Patrick may not have as many quads in arsenal as others, but he sure matured, polished his already star-quality skating skills and developed as performer in that time of a break. He's showing now the complexity in skating and uniqueness whih is very rare and should be appreciated and cherished while he's still in competition, because I personaly will miss it deeply.

And imagine how many heads would explode if Patrick came back strong technically on par with current top 'quad hitters', mixing it with his all-round skill...like they're now exploding over Tessa and Scott's successful comeback, accusing them of being back and moving other teams down in hierarchy :laugh:

Like I already wrote in Shoma thread - Ed Sheeran sings in 'What do I know' that 'life is more than fittin' in your jeans' - and I feel that skating should be more than jumps alone or fitting into a strict, certain image created. Patrick's skating is too fuild, abstract and multi-dimentional to limit it or define by only one factor. Lots of strenght and focus for Patrick, looking forward to seeing him in 2 weeks

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks for the hugs noname ;)

i think the tears were induced by a few of the things you said in your post, as well as the fact that skatingfan4ever and I (i wasn't on the forum back then though) had the same reaction... (perhaps some of the tears were just left over mojitos... had some last night LOL)

when I joined the forum... Patrick was no longer competing but to me, the sport was missing its true champion... I picked that username to represent that forever, Patrick would be special and if I have learned to pass on my fanboyness from Brian to Kurt to Eman to Jeff to Patrick... while liking many others like Daisuke, Yagudin and Stéphane over the years, Patrick is just Patrick.... to me he is the special skater.... the one who made me fall in love with the sport in its wholeness.... combining big athletic and difficult jumps and deep edges.

When we think about Patrick's era of dominance, he was first referred to as the skater with the deep edges but then, he got his quads and people talked about this technical content. Back then, very few skaters would land 2 quads long programs.... and the ones who did, were miles behind in terms of overall skating skills...

But right now, I am in a completely different space. I do not care if Patrick wins or not. I just want him to skate well. He certainly can deliver his programs cleanly and that's all i wish for. If he get a medal or a title (like 4cc's last year) good for him... but that's not why I am watching.

Patrick has evolved. His skating is even better than before... not just the fact that he has relearned his 3A and added a 4S.... but I think that he is defining his style more and more and more, and showing why he wanted to be back. People blamed him when he said that at 2015 worlds, nothing much had changed...but he was 100% right. The guys were doing the same programs and contents as 2014..... 2016...another story... the guys brought more quads... and 2017 even more... he has acknowledged that... but it is with his return that we got to see amazing skating again.

I will 4ever be thankful and grateful to myself for breaking the piggy bank to go watch him at nationals. I am still mesmerized by his movement on ice. I have seen quite a few skaters from the elite at this point, combining a couple live competitions... and I intend to see more... but so far, there is only one

Patrick Chan.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
:ghug::ghug::ghug:!!!

Patrick is one of very few skaters to me who I enjoy regardless of final results. He is not made nor deifined or limited by his jumping abilities, which are so important and decisive factors for so many people nowadays who consider skater attention- or admiration-worthy only if he has certain amount of quads in his programs. Patrick is and was always more than that - and that comes from person who went a really long road to appreciate Patrick's skating, to understand it and from where he comes with it. Some people are just too close to one, limited image conjured in their minds about figure skating - it's a lot easier to be a fan of skating in general than only a fan of one, particular skater. And I still cannot understand why not to cherish your favourite skater's successes, skills, stuff and instead waste energy for bashing, depreciating other skaters' successes/rise...

regarding post-Sochi debates...I consider those discussions about better stay as retired than return to competition after being in hiatus irrelevant, it's just better to look at them politely and move on quickly, especially if a skater who is coming back to competition is the one you enjoy watching. Same was (and still is) with Tessa and Scott - like Patrick, they are mature, responsible and professional and they came to decision to compete again, and I feel personally that they came back not for the results themselves, but mostly because of love for the sport and thrill of the competition, for going beyond themselves regarding that space. Patrick may not have as many quads in arsenal as others, but he sure matured, polished his already star-quality skating skills and developed as performer in that time of a break. He's showing now the complexity in skating and uniqueness whih is very rare and should be appreciated and cherished while he's still in competition, because I personaly will miss it deeply.

And imagine how many heads would explode if Patrick came back strong technically on par with current top 'quad hitters', mixing it with his all-round skill...like they're now exploding over Tessa and Scott's successful comeback, accusing them of being back and moving other teams down in hierarchy :laugh:

Like I already wrote in Shoma thread - Ed Sheeran sings in 'What do I know' that 'life is more than fittin' in your jeans' - and I feel that skating should be more than jumps alone or fitting into a strict, certain image created. Patrick's skating is too fuild, abstract and multi-dimentional to limit it or define by only one factor. Lots of strenght and focus for Patrick, looking forward to seeing him in 2 weeks

Great post. Interesting to read :) I share your impressions regarding comebacks and whatnot and I also roll my eyes when I witness bashing and butthurt comments when returning skaters are successful. I seriously doubt that those athletes for which they root for share their view on sports. That ''wait your turn'' hope is deceptive too, you can expect let's say domination or gold from your fave after X, Y, Z skaters retire but someone better than you or more talented can emerge seemingly out of nowhere and you have to handle it with grace (Weaver / Poje - Papadakis / Cizeron fit that scheme). Now maybe not here ... but in certain places on twitter or youtube you can find bitter comments from Pap / Ciz obsessive fans attacking / picking on Virtue / Moir & their fans, awful but it's better to overlook that and focus on better things.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Great post. Interesting to read :) I share your impressions regarding comebacks and whatnot and I also roll my eyes when I witness bashing and butthurt comments when returning skaters are successful. I seriously doubt that those athletes for which they root for share their view on sports. That ''wait your turn'' hope is deceptive too, you can expect let's say domination or gold from your fave after X, Y, Z skaters retire but someone better than you or more talented can emerge seemingly out of nowhere and you have to handle it with grace (Weaver / Poje - Papadakis / Cizeron fit that scheme). Now maybe not here ... but in certain places on twitter or youtube you can find bitter comments from Pap / Ciz obsessive fans attacking / picking on Virtue / Moir & their fans, awful but it's better to overlook that and focus on better things.

hi:)

thanks a lot for Your kind words, lately it seems that I'd rather channel my annoyance/frustration over some posts there/posters' attitude towards FS/YT comments (patricularly under Canadian skaters videos or Sibutanis) in form of appreciating things, people I enjoy, admire, look up to and seek some positivity in fun fest threads - in this thread, Jason's, Shibutanis, Misha Ge's, Anna Pogo's, Satoko's...

Today I'm 27 and I feel way to old and tired of getting into rows over quads, PCS, GOEs so frequently started there lately - I mean, I don't like A LOT of things in FS, in judging of it, I don't like some skaters being rewarded too generously for stuff they are actually presenting, I don't like their immaturity, but I really don't see any point in voiceing it out. Any discussion/arguing over skaters/judging of them won't change anything, especially my opinion, only skaters themselves by their skating can do this, regarding judging - I have a habit not to argue about things I have no influence on.

Honestly - in general I'm stunned by all this passionate hate over Nathan, directed mostly by Yuzuru's fans or these low comments from French users under Tessa/Scott or Maia/Alex's videos. I often wonder how hard life is with all that hate and negativity carried, why to waste energy in such pointless way? But what is the most hilarious for me is the paradox running: people rowing over some skaters getting high scores for clean execution (Nathan, Shibutanis) and at the same time bashing 'reputation scoring'/politicking over scoring...I mean - make your minds and stop being hypocrites. I am too a fan of MANY skaters, including Patrick and want the best for him, but I understand if he has a rough skate technically and his point won't be on par with e.g. Nathan's who hit all his stuff, same goes for example to Gabriella/Guillaume - they are exceptional skaters, with lovely qualitites, but if they underperform technically/have less impactful performance than others, they won't be hold on the top forever, no matter of placing them already as OGM next year by many of users there.

returning to Patrick (and apologies for OT!), lots of positivity and love for him - 2013 Worlds SP, one of my all-time favourites in FS, my way to celebrate BDay :cheer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x3d6Y5nSYs

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
hi:)

thanks a lot for Your kind words, lately it seems that I'd rather channel my annoyance/frustration over some posts there/posters' attitude towards FS/YT comments (patricularly under Canadian skaters videos or Sibutanis) in form of appreciating things, people I enjoy, admire, look up to and seek some positivity in fun fest threads - in this thread, Jason's, Shibutanis, Misha Ge's, Anna Pogo's, Satoko's...

Today I'm 27 and I feel way to old and tired of getting into rows over quads, PCS, GOEs so frequently started there lately - I mean, I don't like A LOT of things in FS, in judging of it, I don't like some skaters being rewarded too generously for stuff they are actually presenting, I don't like their immaturity, but I really don't see any point in voiceing it out. Any discussion/arguing over skaters/judging of them won't change anything, especially my opinion, only skaters themselves by their skating can do this, regarding judging - I have a habit not to argue about things I have no influence on.

Honestly - in general I'm stunned by all this passionate hate over Nathan, directed mostly by Yuzuru's fans or these low comments from French users under Tessa/Scott or Maia/Alex's videos. I often wonder how hard life is with all that hate and negativity carried, why to waste energy in such pointless way? But what is the most hilarious for me is the paradox running: people rowing over some skaters getting high scores for clean execution (Nathan, Shibutanis) and at the same time bashing 'reputation scoring'/politicking over scoring...I mean - make your minds and stop being hypocrites. I am too a fan of MANY skaters, including Patrick and want the best for him, but I understand if he has a rough skate technically and his point won't be on par with e.g. Nathan's who hit all his stuff, same goes for example to Gabriella/Guillaume - they are exceptional skaters, with lovely qualitites, but if they underperform technically/have less impactful performance than others, they won't be hold on the top forever, no matter of placing them already as OGM next year by many of users there.

returning to Patrick (and apologies for OT!), lots of positivity and love for him - 2013 Worlds SP, one of my all-time favourites in FS, my way to celebrate BDay :cheer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x3d6Y5nSYs

I think some pressure being created on boards like these can work as I'd say in Polish like ''kropla która drąży skałę'' literally to English - like that "raindrop that drills down rock". We could be surprised how many different people look into these threads and how can they get inspiration from it. Goldenskate portal also conducts interviews with coaches and some questions are derived ... from those threads too. If only some of us were members of ISU ... :laugh:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Happy birthday NNF! You are so young to have have reached and found your present state of mind. May your life journey be a continuing spiritual growth.

happylife

On the Ice
NoNameFace, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY and have a WONDERFUL DAY :hap10:.

I enjoyed reading your posts and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us :love:.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Happy birthday NNF! You are so young to have have reached and found your present state of mind. May your life journey be a continuing spiritual growth.

NoNameFace, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY and have a WONDERFUL DAY :hap10:.

I enjoyed reading your posts and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us :love:.

^^^ and keep visiting us :)

guys:ghug::ghug::ghug:!!!

regarding last year, it was also a year of re-discovery of figure skating of some sorts and getting newly inspired with it. And it was due to those latest returns to competition, like Patrick's, Mao's or Tessa and Scott's, Carolina's...I've never realized how much I missed this kind of mature complexity about skating until I saw it again on ice. I value so much their timeless quality and skill presented, their presentation abilities, they way they can connect with me so deeply. Of course - I feel sad every time they have problems on ice and being not satisfied with themselves - I grew to understand that winning is not the only aim, despite popular belief. It's the journey leading to this even more important, the thrill of competition, creating new programs, performing and giving joy and inspiration to other people.

I grew to appreciate also a performance instead of just skating, even the most clean and technically perfect. Hence a lot of my posts, maybe not very detailed technically, not knowledgeable enough for some very skilled posters there I admire for their passion, dedication and broad knowledge, but they're touching subjects, skaters, performances that inspires me to think, to feel and then write. I'm personally glad that there are a lot of people there who enjoy various skaters - not only favourites, constant winners - for what they produce, how they personalities, maturity and experience are shining through their skating, and that those people are showing their passion, admiration for these skaters, but also for figure skating in general, regardless of its controversies and things we don't like.

I grew to appreciate constructive discussions here, constructive critic posted, both voiced in cultural, professional way, even if I'm not in agreement with some posters. At the same time, I grew to realize that I'll never be in the same page with everyone here and it is pointless to get into rows over things that sparks only anger and negativity - instead, I found courage to channel my feelings in a form of my posts and voice loudly things, skaters, performances I truly find inspirational and moving.

And regarding Patrick himself - I went really long road to appreciate his skating and skill so prominent in it, his style, natural way of moving, expressing and feeling the music, treating his body like a fine instrument to express music, emotions through movement. He could be not the loudest performer, but his skating resonates deeply, with this lyrical, nostalgic and soft melancholy way. It feels great to have my eyes open for such experiences like Patrick's skating, even when he's not winning.

ETA - and 4everchan - yeah. I'll keep visiting You there and in State of Canadian Skating too, too much goodie things to cherish:cheer:, You won't get rid of me so quickly :laugh:

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
guys:ghug::ghug::ghug:!!!

I grew to appreciate constructive discussions here, constructive critic posted, both voiced in cultural, professional way, even if I'm not in agreement with some posters. At the same time, I grew to realize that I'll never be in the same page with everyone here and it is pointless to get into rows over things that sparks only anger and negativity - instead, I found courage to channel my feelings in a form of my posts and voice loudly things, skaters, performances I truly find inspirational and moving.

And regarding Patrick himself - I went really long road to appreciate his skating and skill so prominent in it, his style, natural way of moving, expressing and feeling the music, treating his body like a fine instrument to express music, emotions through movement. He could be not the loudest performer, but his skating resonates deeply, with this lyrical, nostalgic and soft melancholy way. It feels great to have my eyes open for such experiences like Patrick's skating, even when he's not winning.

ETA - and 4everchan - yeah. I'll keep visiting You there and in State of Canadian Skating too, too much goodie things to cherish:cheer:, You won't get rid of me so quickly :laugh:

Aww... thanks and a happy belated birthday to you! And hugs to 4everchan! :ghug:

I've been away for a bit because there's a new Canadian in my family! :cheer: My SIL from Vancouver just had a beautiful baby boy, and I have no doubt that he will be a great athlete - already he hates blankets and struggles to be free of them! :laugh:

Skating update: Eric Radford wants to know if people will buy or download "A Journey". Please let him know by liking his tweet:

https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/841839377634463744

And here's a photo of Patrick with a young skater and Max Aaron:

https://twitter.com/kcakee/status/841813863423213569

Have a great day, y'all!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
vivley

one more reason for you to go to vancouver now (and of course, go when Patrick is skating !!!!)

congrats to your SIL :)

NNF : very nice post, and a beautiful description of Patrick's skating. As a musician I am drawn particularly to Patrick's skating because his body embraces and lives every note... he is so fluid in his movement, like sound. A rare artist.. a poet on the ice. Or like Marina says : Patrick is the artwork... a living artwork