Peanut butter | Golden Skate

Peanut butter

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Um, sorry if the question is stupid, but why so many people like peanut butter?

It's not popular in Russia and I never actually had any desire to taste it, but today my wife bought one jar of it, it was imported from the US, by the way. And no offence, but it tastes terrible... Actually there's actually almost no taste at all, it's not sweet and just barely saulty. It also is very oily.

So I started to think that maybe it's just not good peanut butter? I always thought it's sweet and taste more like chocolate paste. :slink:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love peanut butter! :love: Mind you, it's not very popular in Poland too, but there 3 or 4 different brands you can get in supermarket, I tried all of them, settle for one of them and I'm a happy consumer :biggrin: But where did you get idea it's sweet? I mean, it's made of peanuts! And a butter. You can get them more or less salty I think, depending which kind you're more fond of. I think I did eat once something like peanut cream and it was sweet. I'm more of salty snack person than sweet one though and it didn;t tasted good for me. I eat Nutella when I fell like eating something sweet.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I love peanut butter! :love: Mind you, it's not very popular in Poland too, but there 3 or 4 different brands you can get in supermarket, I tried all of them, settle for one of them and I'm a happy consumer :biggrin: But where did you get idea it's sweet? I mean, it's made of peanuts! And a butter. You can get them more or less salty I think, depending which kind you're more fond of. I think I did eat once something like peanut cream and it was sweet. I'm more of salty snack person than sweet one though and it didn;t tasted good for me. I eat Nutella when I fell like eating something sweet.

And I eat Nutella always. Every single day, two times a day at least :biggrin: It's good that I can't gain extra weight, though, or my work at GYM should be doubled at least :)

Okay, then it's not bad peanut butter? It's just its' normal taste? :reye: Disappointed, to be honest. Especially considering it two times more expensive than Nutella.

And I don't know where I got the idea that it's sweet. :slink:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
And I eat Nutella always. Every single day, two times a day at least :biggrin: It's good that I can't gain extra weight, though, or my work at GYM should be doubled at least :)

Okay, then it's not bad peanut butter? It's just its' normal taste? :reye: Disappointed, to be honest. Especially considering it two times more expensive than Nutella.

And I don't know where I got the idea that it's sweet. :slink:

I see Nutella fans are everywhere :biggrin: You could try different brand of peanut butter, but well, in my home only I am a fan of it, with ocassionally my mum eating it (and there's five of us), so it's just not everyone's cup of tea.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Um, sorry if the question is stupid, but why so many people like peanut butter?

It's not popular in Russia and I never actually had any desire to taste it, but today my wife bought one jar of it, it was imported from the US, by the way. And no offence, but it tastes terrible... Actually there's actually almost no taste at all, it's not sweet and just barely saulty. It also is very oily.

So I started to think that maybe it's just not good peanut butter? I always thought it's sweet and taste more like chocolate paste. :slink:

There is a difference between natural peanut butter and the processed kind which has sugar + other additives & is creamier rather than oily. The latter kind is much more popular - brands like Jif, Skippy, etc. Natural or old-fashioned peanut butter is literally just ground up peanuts with a bit of salt in most cases, and you have to stir it because the oil naturally separates. This is fine for recipes and some people just prefer it because it's not processed. If you're putting it on bread, you can add honey or jam to make it sweeter.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've lost some weight recently and all natural ($11 per small bottle) peanut butter has been extremely helpful. Never cheap peanut butter in my case. I eat peanut butter, carrots and veggie chips, and then a banana or strawberries with a cup of almond milk almost everyday. I usually start the day with a bowl of grape nuts with almond milk and coffee. A big coffee.

No peanut butter for dinner.

Just some other ideas....

1) put it on celery with or without raisins
2) Put it on graham crackers like a little sandwich
3) add to vanilla ice cream
4) add it to a strawberry and banana smoothie
5) peanut butter cookies (dad was diabetic and mom hated chocolate so this was my treat)

I prefer crunchy with peanuts because creamy can get a bit bland and tastes lifeless with jam.

Crazy fact: My aunt puts peanut butter, mayonnaise and pickles on her sandwich :)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Peanut butter is a great staple on Asian food, so like cold sesame noodles.

My mother-in-law makes AWESOME peanut butter cookies. I'll ask her for the recipe; that would be a good way to use up some of that peanut butter.

Honestly, I've been eating more almond butter than peanut butter. Generally the unsweetned kind. I usually put it on apples.

humbaba

Final Flight
I like to make my own peanut butter. It's easy and you can tweak the recipe to get the exact flavor and texture you want.

Here's my very inexact recipe. Put 1-2 cups of shelled, roasted peanuts in a food processor. Pulse a few times to chop them coarsely. Add peanut oil and process until the peanuts are emulsified to a chunky paste. Add honey, more peanut oil if needed, and process a bit more. When the peanut butter is getting close to the consistency you want, add salt and a little bit of cinnamon to taste. Process till peanut butter is the consistency you prefer. Taste and tweak as you go along to adjust the sweetness, saltiness and texture.

Because there are no preservatives, this peanut butter has to be refrigerated. I like my peanut butter on the chunky side and have no trouble with the oil separating in the fridge. If you use more oil to get a smoother, creamier texture, you might get some separation.

Next week, my recipe for "quick and dirty" guacamole. :)

Snow63

Record Breaker
Oh my God, so many answers! Thanks :)

I also googled this question and found out that there's a tons of peanut butter types: crunchy and creamy, with cocount oil and without, saulty and sweet, with dark chocolate, with white chocolate, with honey, with cinnamon (yum!) and even with maple syrup... I want to taste the ones with chocolate and cinnamon the most! I bet I will love those flavours :love: And I doubt I will find it here in Russia.

And that stuff I tasted is apparently not very good butter after all, because it has a lot of chemical stuff in its composition except peanuts and sault.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I don't eat peanuts because I hate them, but ironically love peanut butter. :laugh:

Similarly, I love whole grain almonds, but never eat crushed nor sliced almonds along with almond butter.

I also don't like walnuts and walnut pie or toppings, but love walnut ice cream.

Among nuts, the only one that I don't mind as any form is pistachio; butter, whole, sliced, crushed, flour, ice cream, and confectionery, all are welcome. :)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Try it on toasted bread with or without butter/margarine. No one mentioned peanut butter & jelly/jam sandwiches?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Try it on toasted bread with or without butter/margarine. No one mentioned peanut butter & jelly/jam sandwiches?

Yum, those are classic recipes. :) I also like peanut butter and banana sandwich. It is well known that Elvis Presley loved it with bacon slices.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Oh my my! All these recipes! It's so unusual for me, you have NO idea. :laugh: And sandwiches with butter and banana? Do you actually put them on slice of bread? That's a lot of carbs in one such sandwich :)

I need to try it :biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I think one of the reasons so many people like peanut butter is the oldest in the book: we grew up eating it. Other than persons who are allergic, I do not think you will find one person in the US of A who did not eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a kid. Processed or pure, we ate it.

And my favorite, completely devoid of nutritional value, and reaching waaaaay back in the wayback machine.

Fluffernutters! :clap:

Anyone else here eat Fluffernutters as a kid? To do so, you need to remember Marshmallow Fluff. That is, spreadable marshmallows. Who thinks this stuff up?:laugh: Probably had enough sugar to drown Louisiana and no redeeming value, but who cares?

and Fluffernutter: peanut butter and marshmallow fluff. On white bread. A kid's idea of heaven on earth.:agree: We wouldn't feed the little darlings that today, but I *loooved* it....

Leave off the mayo and it's great: peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. :yes:

humbaba said:
I like to make my own peanut butter. It's easy and you can tweak the recipe to get the exact flavor and texture you want…

Do you really have to add peanut oil? I always believed that nuts are so oily anyway that you might have to remove some of the oil after they are crushed.

Lambari

Final Flight
Where I live peanut buttter isn't popular at all. I think it's a mission to even buy it, you would need to go to special markets. Instead we have a native sweet (but kind of salty too) called "Paçoca" that some foreigners describe as solid peanut butter and it's delicious. My first experience with Nutella was a tale of horror, my friend thought it was outrageous that I never tried to taste it and didn't even know what it was made of so he shoved a humungus spoon of it into my mouth. The fact is that I hate to the sky and beyond anything hazelnut.
My second favourite traditional candy is Cajuzinho though (with cashew and some peanuts too and has a similar sweet/salty taste) which deserves more love actually. At children's parties everyone would fight for the Brigadeiros (overrated :handw:) and I would have the Cajuzinhos all for me. :cool14:

Edit: Thinking about candies I remembered Olho-de-Sogra (literally meaning 'Mother-in-law's eye'), another traditional kind of underrated party candy here. It's a mix of another coconut, sugar and condensed milk candy (Beijinho) with a dried plum on top of it. :luv17: Suddenly I'm missing birthday parties. btw on the thread's topic I've never tried peanut butter, maybe Paçoca half counts as the thing.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I love peanut butter.

Homemade PB = best PB.

I just put unsalted roasted peanuts in my food processor, then alternate processing and scraping the sides of the bowl until it's the texture I want. Sometimes I have to add a tiny bit of oil, but if your food processor is strong enough the added oil is not so necessary. I'll add salt, honey, cocoa powder, etc if I feel like it.

Peanut butter and banana is my go-to "I need something filling" snack.

humbaba

Final Flight
Leave off the mayo and it's great: peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. :yes:

Do you really have to add peanut oil? I always believed that nuts are so oily anyway that you might have to remove some of the oil after they are crushed.

I think so, to get the texture right. It doesn't take much oil, though. I guess I use 1 to 2 tablespoons for the whole batch. Peanut oil does add flavor, I think. You could probably use something other than oil to emulsify. Just not sure what.