Peanut butter | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Peanut butter

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I think so, to get the texture right. It doesn't take much oil, though. I guess I use 1 to 2 tablespoons for the whole batch. Peanut oil does add flavor, I think. You could probably use something other than oil to emulsify. Just not sure what.

With a strong enough food processor, the extra oil may not be necessary but I don't think many households have an industrial strength food processor like some of the natural grocery stores have.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I am allergic to peanuts, peanut butter but can eat other nuts, nut butters in moderation. My favorite snack in the world is walnuts with raisins. A peanut nut butter sandwich is a staple in any child's lunch box... it is nutritious high in protein, does not need refrigeration so portable and a great meat substitute. I love almond butter and use it the way most people use peanut butter... nuts in ice cream is like heaven. Odd that peanut has the word "nut" in it since it technically is a legume (which I cannot eat) :sad21:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There's definitely a big difference in taste between standard, commercial peanut butters and "natural" ones (peanuts, salt, maybe a bit of extra peanut oil). I buy the natural kind: I open the jar, put it in a large mixing bowl, mix it up with an electric mixer, then put back into the original jar and refrigerate.

When my husband bought a large jar of "standard" peanut butter by mistake, I gave it away because I can't stand the taste. My neighbor made peanut butter cookies with it and gave me some of them. A win/win!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
@Snow

I love peanut butter... Usually I buy the natural one.... only made with peanuts. Sometimes I will put a bit of regular butter on the toast, and PB on the rest of the toast... It's good...

If you like something very sweet and since you mentioned Nutella, when I was a kid, I used to put both PB and Nutella on my toast... It's so good... tastes like Reese's pieces

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went thru a phase where I would put peanut butter on peanut butter Clif Bars :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love peanut butter! Especially when you spread it on really hot toast and it melts in just so... :love:

But of course I eat the Australian Kraft stuff, which may be somewhat different to American peanut butter.

But Snow my dear, you must try Vegemite, that most deliciously perfect of all spreads! :yes:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I love peanut butter! Especially when you spread it on really hot toast and it melts in just so... :love:

But of course I eat the Australian Kraft stuff, which may be somewhat different to American peanut butter.

But Snow my dear, you must try Vegemite, that most deliciously perfect of all spreads! :yes:

Never heard of it, but I'll keep my eyes open for it when we'll go shopping in one of the big supermarkets, thanks :)

Snow63

Record Breaker
There's definitely a big difference in taste between standard, commercial peanut butters and "natural" ones (peanuts, salt, maybe a bit of extra peanut oil). I buy the natural kind: I open the jar, put it in a large mixing bowl, mix it up with an electric mixer, then put back into the original jar and refrigerate.

When my husband bought a large jar of "standard" peanut butter by mistake, I gave it away because I can't stand the taste. My neighbor made peanut butter cookies with it and gave me some of them. A win/win!

I think that's what I got too. It's not only almost tasteless, it also is kinda liquid. I doubt the good thing should be this liquid, I though it would be as dense as Nutella at least.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
If you like something very sweet and since you mentioned Nutella, when I was a kid, I used to put both PB and Nutella on my toast... It's so good... tastes like Reese's pieces

I had eaten bread with Nutella and Peanut Butter too :biggrin: But at the end I decided it tastes better eating it separately :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Um, sorry if the question is stupid, but why so many people like peanut butter?

It's not popular in Russia and I never actually had any desire to taste it, but today my wife bought one jar of it, it was imported from the US, by the way. And no offence, but it tastes terrible... Actually there's actually almost no taste at all, it's not sweet and just barely saulty. It also is very oily.

So I started to think that maybe it's just not good peanut butter? I always thought it's sweet and taste more like chocolate paste. :slink:

Peanut butter is a paste that some folks haven't realized is actually a soup base like Miso and Toubanjan. So they try to put it on bread. Vegemite is the same. --Actually a soup base. :dev2: :devil:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
In Holland, peanut butter (by a brand called Calve, that *is* peanut butter) is something most children (and adults!) swear by. IIRC a study showed that that peanut butter is the item most people take with them on holidays to foreign countries.

I remember visiting the USA the first time and being introduced to the American version of peanut butter. To this day I doubt very much even one peanut was ever used in the making of that peanut butter. only half-joking. :laugh: The two are so different!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
One thing I've also noticed is that my tastes changed in the last few years as I started trying to cut added sugars (since so many of the products in the US have a lot). Now some things like American brand-named PBs (Jif, Skippy, etc) taste too sweet. More evidence that it's easy to get accustomed to things if it's common in your country/area (whether sugary/salty/etc), which is why I think American PB probably tastes odd to non-Americans.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
One thing I've also noticed is that my tastes changed in the last few years as I started trying to cut added sugars (since so many of the products in the US have a lot). Now some things like American brand-named PBs (Jif, Skippy, etc) taste too sweet. More evidence that it's easy to get accustomed to things if it's common in your country/area (whether sugary/salty/etc), which is why I think American PB probably tastes odd to non-Americans.

Very true...in fact, this thread reminded me of this photo of a young Kovtun - definitely not a snack I would have eaten as an American child (or adult, for that matter)!

loopy

Final Flight
I've have the pb from places like Whole Foods where they have a bin of peanuts and it crushes them fresh to peanut butter that is made with salt and peanuts with the oil layer (best way to use this is to store in a cupboard upside down, then mix it really well and then keep in the fridge to prevent the oils from rising) to the super sweet brands like Skippy and Jiff. I prefer to bake with ones like skippy because it seems very consistent in recipes. But for everything else, just peanuts works fine.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Very true...in fact, this thread reminded me of this photo of a young Kovtun - definitely not a snack I would have eaten as an American child (or adult, for that matter)!

I thought you mean that Kovtun is a snack and then I opened the photo :laugh2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

OMG... no offense but Vegemite is the one thing that nearly made me feel like a pregnant woman in the morning.... my ex was eating it (half australian) and just the look and smell of it... and bang nearly threw up.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I like peanut butter, and I do like peanut butter cookies and other sweets that use it. But for sandwiches I prefer to keep it savory. No jelly.* Recently I like to have natural peanut butter on whole grain toast with whichever of the following I have available: grilled mushrooms, grilled onions, fresh spinach or arugula, fresh basil, fresh rosemary, ground pepper.

*When I was about 7 my younger sister and I went to a day camp that sometimes served peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at lunchtime. I didn't like jelly and she didn't like peanut butter, so we would find each other in the lunch area and take our sandwiches apart and put them back together so she could have two jelly sides together and I would have two peanut butter sides together.

ssffww

On the Ice
Um, sorry if the question is stupid, but why so many people like peanut butter?

It's not popular in Russia and I never actually had any desire to taste it, but today my wife bought one jar of it, it was imported from the US, by the way. And no offence, but it tastes terrible... Actually there's actually almost no taste at all, it's not sweet and just barely saulty. It also is very oily.

So I started to think that maybe it's just not good peanut butter? I always thought it's sweet and taste more like chocolate paste. :slink:

I don't know what to tell you. I grew up eating peanut butter in the US and love it. I like most kinds of nut butter actually. Could be just a different in tastes. I'm sure there are popular Russian foods that would not taste right to my palate at first, but are probably delicious if you grew up eating them.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I like peanut butter, and I do like peanut butter cookies and other sweets that use it. But for sandwiches I prefer to keep it savory. No jelly.* Recently I like to have natural peanut butter on whole grain toast with whichever of the following I have available: grilled mushrooms, grilled onions, fresh spinach or arugula, fresh basil, fresh rosemary, ground pepper.

*When I was about 7 my younger sister and I went to a day camp that sometimes served peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at lunchtime. I didn't like jelly and she didn't like peanut butter, so we would find each other in the lunch area and take our sandwiches apart and put them back together so she could have two jelly sides together and I would have two peanut butter sides together.

Oooh, PB&J. When I was little, I loved peanut butter and loved jelly (only strawberry!) but hated them together.