Peggy Fleming Trophy is "retired" | Golden Skate

Peggy Fleming Trophy is "retired"

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Broadmoor Skating Club announces the cancellation of the Peggy Fleming Trophy, "retired" after five years.

A wonderful concept, but not one that would probably survive in today's skating environment, even if someone else were to pick it up. 😢

I will always remember the comp as the place where we first saw Jason skate "Melancholy".:drama:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was being cynical about the market for beautiful skating, sadly.

I loved PFT just like everyone else; Jason, Andrew, Tim Dolensky one year. It was also a good showcase for Sonja Hilmer's creativity as I recall.❤️

But the comp doesn't give a skater any points in an upcoming year. The money would need to be significantly increased to encourage more competition in today's market.

When I rule the world and win the lottery, it will be reinstated and carry a $50K prize. Until that time.....

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This saddens me. I always enjoyed the competition (there usually was a stream) because of the lovely programmes...the signature move always being part of it. During the pandemic it was one of the few events to watch (online). Well, at least Peggy tried (she and her husband put a lot of money and effort into it) to get beautiful skating on the agenda again.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reading between the lines, I think Broadmoor did not want to host it (which is ridiculous). The blurb announcing the cancellation even mischaracterizes the event as allowing quads. Did it allow quads, I don't think so. :(

They also thanked certain volunteers for organizing, maybe they were tired of organizing?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Reading between the lines, I think Broadmoor did not want to host it (which is ridiculous). The blurb announcing the cancellation even mischaracterizes the event as allowing quads. Did it allow quads, I don't think so. :(

They also thanked certain volunteers for organizing, maybe they were tired of organizing?
Do you have a link to "the blurb"? Or can you copy and paste it here? I followed the link in the OP, but didn't find anything about the PFT.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you have a link to "the blurb"? Or can you copy and paste it here? I followed the link in the OP, but didn't find anything about the PFT.

Wow, it was at that link and now it is gone. Sheesh, what does that mean?

Here is a replication of the announcement that I found on Twitter. Same link as I had. 🤷‍♀️