Peter Oppegard being investigated over abuse allegations | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Peter Oppegard being investigated over abuse allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Biting a student sounds really, really strange... I could understand though that in frustration a temperamental person might throw something (liquid or gloves) onto the ground and perhaps in the direction of a student, LOL. Did someone really have a coffee bath? How can the students allow something like that to happen? After all they (or their parents) are the paying ones...

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
One thing I've wondered is if Safesport would just take anonymous reports just so that there is at least some record of abuse. If more and more anonymous complaints start piling up then Safesport should then act. Getting this upfront, I was sexually abused from 13-15, like millions before and after me. When you are abused and underaged you have no voice really, no power. And abusers are usually from my experience very successful, charismatic, charming and "perfect" to others because they learned just how to manipulate others into believing the BS. If I could have filed an anonymous complaint it might have helped, who knows. Actually no, it probably wouldn't, considering it would have been obvious to my abuser that it was me and he'd have made my life an even worse hell. I don't know, maybe Safesport can keep a record of anonymous complaints and if three or more people are concerned enough to file a complaint, then open up an investigation. I can't speak as a parent, but I know MY parents would have chosen to not believe me or not do anything about it. Parents can be useless and not want to create waves in the community. But even though we're now in the MeToo era of enlightenment on this issue, I still think that even back then it had to have been so obvious to everyone what was going on, and no one said anything. Probably just didn't want to get involved. Who knows if sending an anonymous report/complaint could help in this situation? At least you are doing SOMETHING. Who knows. Sorry for writing TMI.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have some experience on this subject. When I was in High School during the early 80's, teen and young adult movies were popular. 16 Candles, Back To The Future, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off were huge hits and made the stars rich and famous. Gary Goddard was a big agent in Santa Barbara where I lived and he represented Anthony Edwards ( Top Gun ) and Eric Stoltz ( Mask )

I remember begging my father to let me sign with him but, after doing some research on Gary, my Father said no. I remember being crushed at the time but, it turns out that Gary was an abusive man who stole from his clients and molested some of the young men. These Men are like wolves in sheep's clothing. They fit in with their nice clothes, money, and smiles but, you really have to dig deep when you place your child in the hands of these people. There are often warning signs. My father was tipped off by another parent and that's how he found out about Gary. These young skaters often travel with these coaches and spend hours with them when they attend events.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
It wasn't Nabou and Lucinda Ruh stated it herself, read upthread. It was other coaches beating another student in the freaking rink in Japan she skated in way back when. She openly talked about her own MOTHER beating her when she was training in Japan. I'm not protecting anyone, so stop accusing me of crap. Get a grip.

BTW---This stuff from Lucinda is openly on the internet from sources such as herself and other skaters who interviewed her for podcasts. Go find it.
It's ironic that this comment shows up during a discussion about the culture of people collectively turning a blind eye to abuse.

It doesn't look good when your argument is essentially, "People are saying that Coach A was abusive, but that's not true, you big liar! It was Coach A's wife. And there was Coach B who also beat his students. And there were several other coaches at their rink who also beat their students."

The gymnastics Twitter thread also shows why parents also overlook or go into denial about abuse. It seems to sadly mirror Yuka's case, and maybe why her father didn't stop her mother from hitting her.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's ironic that this comment shows up during a discussion about the culture of people collectively turning a blind eye to abuse.

It doesn't look good when your argument is essentially, "People are saying that Coach A was abusive, but that's not true, you big liar! It was Coach A's wife. And there was Coach B who also beat his students. And there were several other coaches at their rink who also beat their students."

The gymnastics Twitter thread also shows why parents also overlook or go into denial about abuse. It seems to sadly mirror Yuka's case, and maybe why her father didn't stop her mother from hitting her.
Please tell me where it is stated in my post that I excuse any kind of abuse. Because I freaking don't, as someone that was in the sport that saw it and dealt with it first hand, you have alot of gall to be accusing me of excusing abuse in any sport, or outlet.

Go spew at someone else. I defended a man/coach (Nabou) that was being outright and wrongly stated as an abuser upthread. I stated that he was not, Lucinda Ruh never stated he was, that it was others. If you have anymore beef with my outright stating what Lucinda Ruh discussed openly about her training past, then take that issue you have to her. The freaking END.

ETA: If anyone wants to make a true change, then go petition for this with the skating feds, the ISU and other outlets of sport. That is the only way to get it to end. Just talking about it here and how it needs to change isn't going to do much.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is where things become tense. In spite of how these people may behave, if their client is making money, the client or their parent may not say anything. There is a definite fear for the client to speak up as the Agent or Coach usually has power within the industry. Anthony and I were never friends but, we did do a couple of plays together. It wasn't until he was in his 40's or 50's that he finally said he'd been a victim of Gary's. We need to do our best to shield the victims from retaliation. When Gary went to jail, a lot of his clients lost future work just by being associated with him.

I think this thread might be headed for a Lock!

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
The entire figure skating community needs to take a hard look at itself and its permissive attitude toward abuse. Peter Oppegard, Richard Callaghan, and John Coughlin, and those are only the big name American ones. We currently have a whack-a-mole strategy for outing abusive coaches, with no real consequence for anyone. It's also important to note that these abusers didn't work alone. People knew, especially people in power, and they overlooked.

I suspect that unless there are big $$$ penalties for abusing skaters, this culture of silence will continue. Good on Adam Schmidt for getting $1.5 million from the USFSA for the Richard Callaghan sexual abuse case. It's the only thing that will drive real change in this sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.