Please don't retire, Mao and Carolina! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Please don't retire, Mao and Carolina!

minze

Medalist
Yes, if Mao and caro want to continue they should to do it, it is soooooo obvious they both love to skate, and it is no like they are taking the place of another figure skater, the japanese field is not like before, no akiko, no miki, may be Kanako retire and Satoko is not ready, and Italy the same. But personally I would love Mao retire and enjoy her life, I feel like skating is for her as a boyfriend that is terrible with you but you to continue with him and forget the bad times because the very few but super good moments :frown:
I am with you. But I think skating has been better to Mao than we her fans will admit. That reaction she got today from her fans says it all. As her fan I can watch forever. But in a sport where the judges are giving Yulia pcs scores so close to Mao. Yes, retire that is disrespectful. Not only that, while she was re-working her jumps, she got no compassion from SOME fans and writers (Philip hersh) had pre written articles putting Mao down. And how about endless threads about her scores, jumps. I remember someone open a thread here to say something positive about her improvement, some people refused to even acknowledge anything positive.

Go have life Mao Chan

Scott512

Record Breaker
I wish them well in retirement. They are talent and class. But they want to retire and they have made that clear. Kostner would be 31 in 2018 and Asada 27. Maybe Mao could be a medal contender then but not Carolina at age 31. The thing is they have worked so hard they are truly tired and they want to have fun. I don't blame them.

Scott512

Record Breaker
While I love Adelina, I don't see her being consistent enough to dominate like Julia and Gracie can. I also think it is going to be hard for her to get pumped up for a GP event when she already has an OGM.
Adelina may not dominate but she comes back next season as a woman not a girl. If she's still hungry and fired up I expect Ade to still have many high points the next 4 years. I hope she's resting and basking in being olympic champion then put it behind her and work on next season and being even better.

Yulia can be the best but I'm not sure about Gracie at this point.

ks777

Record Breaker
Don't worry everyone! We still have Fumie Suguri going strong.. no sign of retirement anytime soon.

CarneAsada

Medalist
as for gracie.. i want her to succeed.. though i'm not looking forward to sky_fly's insanity..
From now on, I think I'll make a point of rooting for non-blondes. :laugh:

Not only that, while she was re-working her jumps, she got no compassion from SOME fans and writers (Philip hersh) had pre written articles putting Mao down. And how about endless threads about her scores, jumps. I remember someone open a thread here to say something positive about her improvement, some people refused to even acknowledge anything positive.

Go have life Mao Chan
It was... refreshing (?) to see Mao get so much love after her Sochi LP, whether sincere, insincere, or anything in between. I don't know if she is set on retiring after a good Worlds or whether she will continue, but in the end she should do what makes her happy. And hah I remember that thread. One of my favorites to reread in light of her Sochi LP where every single thing her detractors were saying got stomped into the ground. I think I will not name the poster of this particular bonbon and let the poster reveal him/herself as he/she sees fit:

I think her press and her uber are certainly more deluded than usual. Such as to create this thread and to decide what the public are and are not allowed to discuss, as if they trying to strongwill the public into bowing to the hype, hide her flaws and to actually demand respect instead of allowing her to earning them through her performance alone. How is this any different than propaganda and delusion of grandeur?

To ban any discussion on jumps which is certainly an integral part of the sport and Mao's greatest weaknesses despite the hoopla of going for the none existent 8 triples, having never succeed even 7, not even 6, and barely even 5 since Vancouver almost 4 years ago. It is hard not to call her 4 triples Mao, or 2f 3A Mao when it has been her winning formula these past few competitions. The fact Mao Asada of Japan continues to get generous calls relative to other competitive skaters like Mirai, that somehow 2 footed landing get her the full basevalue shows how broken the COP system really is and how false it reflect the actual quality which the system is suppose to measure. The best performance should be capable of winning under any system and any judgement panel. Name one of her performances last 3 years that is worthy to beat her Vancouver performances? Even when she continue to get the biggest benefit of doubt at home event in Japan, will these performances stand up in history when eventually the system will fix itself.

As for her artistry, speed, performance I find it to be of poorer quality than Vancouver, and her insistence of 'going for it' is actually one of desperation rather than of choice. Going for 8 and mostly succeed in 4 in my opinion does not send the right message for the sport, to the next generation of skaters, or approach in life. This is not hate talking, it is good deal of common sense and just being honest with what actually occurred. I know I am not the only one think that way.

minze

Medalist
From now on, I think I'll make a point of rooting for non-blondes. :laugh:

It was... refreshing (?) to see Mao get so much love after her Sochi LP, whether sincere, insincere, or anything in between. I don't know if she is set on retiring after a good Worlds or whether she will continue, but in the end she should do what makes her happy. And hah I remember that thread. One of my favorites to reread in light of her Sochi LP where every single thing her detractors were saying got stomped into the ground. I think I will not name the poster of this particular bonbon and let the poster reveal him/herself as he/she sees fit:

Haha. Yep so much hate. :biggrin: