Plushenko and Yagudin escape from a fire in Seoul | Golden Skate

Plushenko and Yagudin escape from a fire in Seoul

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/28773.html

“It’s a miracle we got out!”

Plushenko and Yagudin almost died in a terrible fire in Seoul. In a blink, Russia could have lost two of its greatest athletes.

In a blink, Russia could have its superstars who where in the epicenter of a terrible fire, and almost died under the collapsed vaults of the sports palace.
When Plushenko and Yagudin were warming up on the ice in one of the athletic buildings in Seoul, the vaults suddenly started collapsing.

An acute smell of soot and scared women’s screams contributed to the overall panic. According to Evgeny and Alexei, they also succumbed to the mass hysteria at one point. Together with hundreds of people, the guys tried to escape from the inferno. The flames engulfed the building so quickly that our boys didn’t even get to remove their skates in their haste to escape.

The two famous Russian athletes came to Seoul to take part in a large ice show “Supermatch” with other world stars.

The Russians arrived in Korea on the eve of the performance. Having slept off the jet leg, early in the morning Zhenya and Lesha set of for the dress rehearsal which was so terribly interrupted. They arrived among the first, and stated practicing without any inkling that just a few minute later they’d be leaving the building scared to death.

The Fire

Plushenko and Yagudin were calmly warming up before the evening performance when suddenly there was a great fuss in the palace. Evgeny and Alexei didn’t pay this any attention.

They decided that the alarm was nothing but a training exercise. Concentrated on the practice, the skaters didn’t notice how worried the employees became. Only when some Koreans screamed that a fire began, and that everyone within the building was in danger, did Evgeny and Alexei realize the seriousness of the situation. Everyone started panicking, and the scared Russians ran to the exit amid the mob. Hurried by the firemen who by then have arrived, Olympic champions rushed onto the street. Plushenko and Yagudin didn’t even get a chance to change their shoes, and ran out of the flaming building in their skates. Only when they were outside, in complete safety, could Zhenya and Lesha breathe deeply and understand what was going on.

“When we caught our breath, I got a question – are we going to have the evening show?” told Evgeny to Tvoj DEN. “Obviously, there was little chance of a mass show after such a colossal fire. Some time later, the organizers told us that the show was canceled, and that all skaters could return home.”

The Aftermath

When the fire was localized, Plushenko asked the show producers what caused the fire. It turned out to be quite the cliché – one of the workers didn’t put out a cigarette butt.

It was clear that after the fire, the ice palace building was in a serious disrepair and needed reconstruction. However, the skaters who have carved out days out of their busy schedules to take part in the show can also incur financial losses. As Tvoj DEN found out, show organizers had to pay the participants after the performance. As the ice stars, including our champions, never took the ice, the question of their remuneration is up in the air. However, the agents of Plushenko and Yagudin are confident that the skaters will receive their compensation since the show was canceled not due to their fault, while they themselves were ready to go onto the ice and give the Korean audience an unforgettable experience.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka, thank you for the translation. Thank goodness everyone got out of the rink in time!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Ptichka and Geesesk8, thank you so much!

What a terrible incident! I am so glad that everybody is OK.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
yikes! so glad nobody got hurt. Pluschenko looks very worried and shocked.

now for a million $ question, can anybody recall the las time Yagudin and Pluschenko had their photo taken together (medal ceremonies don't count)?

bekalc

Record Breaker
yikes! so glad nobody got hurt. Pluschenko looks very worried and shocked.

now for a million $ question, can anybody recall the las time Yagudin and Pluschenko had their photo taken together (medal ceremonies don't count)?

Who knows. But it does sound like those two have been getting along a lot better for awhile now. For example Yagudin was cheering for Plushenko to win the Olympics. Yagudin and Plushenko spent a lot of time as kids together too, so maybe the time away from the rivalry has given them both some perspective. What's terrible was that there were actually a lot of young children in the building too.

One happy note on his horrible incident shows that Plush and Yags are skating despite their surgeries. (Making money, too!)

Joe

bekalc

Record Breaker
It could have been a huge tragedy actually. A lot of the best skaters in the world were scheduled to compete there..
Not to mention 150 children.
Kim Yu-na
Miki Ando
Sarah Meir
Lambiel
Maxim and Albena
Shen and Zhao
Thomas Vener

Just to name a few; however, I don't know if all were in the building at the time of the fire.

Still, it's nice to see Plushenko and Yagudin getting along. Reports are that one day when they were touring together in the States, they both went out got a drink and decided to leave the past in the past.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
OMG!!! Seems like wierd are crazy things keep happening with these russian skaters!

Ximena

Final Flight
For the videos I've seen, they were training because Plushenko is leaving the building with his skates on, I don't know about Yagudin but then Yagudin is changing clothes outside because I think he with training clothes.
I just remeber seeing Yu Na Kim as well, I don't know if the others were already inside or where exactly.

As for Plushenko and Yagudin's friendship, it's like they have always said, they will never be best friends, because they hardly see each other, but they get along just fine when they do.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
But it does sound like those two have been getting along a lot better for awhile now.
Nah. I've recently read a Plushenko interview where he was again rehashing how badly Yagudin treated him when they were both kids, and how the judges were favoring him too much during the skating with the stars show that Plushenko hosted. So it seemed that Yagudin grew up, Plushenko has not.

Maxim and Albena
Interesting. I didn't realize Staviski was going outside Bulgaria, let alone performing...

Here's a photo of Plushenko and Yagudin taken after they got out of the arena:
BTW, there are some pictures from the fire on my livejournal site - I provide the link up top.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist

Well, last year there was the famous hug when Alexei was doing the Russian SOI television show and Evgeny was one of the announcers.

Still, it's nice to see Plushenko and Yagudin getting along.

For some reason I always have the feeling I need to take anything between these two with a grain of salt. Especially since also within the last few months, there have been the publicized (but probably in tabloid press) snipes the two have had back and forth about Yagudin attempting to come back to the sport. "getting along" it didn't quite seem to be, but it makes no difference to me with what happens on the ice.

Thanks for the translation Ptichka.

Ximena

Final Flight
Nah. I've recently read a Plushenko interview where he was again rehashing how badly Yagudin treated him when they were both kids, and how the judges were favoring him too much during the skating with the stars show that Plushenko hosted. So it seemed that Yagudin grew up, Plushenko has not.

Well actually that wasn't an interview but an extract of Plushenko's book. While I do believe in some parts he got too personal and he probably could have avoided some things, the part where he talks how Yagudin treated him as a kid was not the only part Evgeni gets too personal, it's just how the whole book is. And I would imagine that whoever the editor or the publishing company was, asked Plush, because it was an autobiography book, to talk about his relationships with the other when he moved to Mishin's group and Plushenko has never hide that the first years were really bad and the only one who wouldn't treat him badly was Urmanov.

And as for the skating shows (he is talking about Stars on Ice I that he hosted with Irina the first season), he really does have a point. Evgeni says in the book that Alexei skated beautifully every time but they were judged as a pair with Oksana and the marks were really high considering Oksana hardly skated; which was true if you watch the show. Every number was 2 minutes or so, and Alexei would skate by his own 1:20.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ximena, you are right on many counts (including the show - but then again, whoever expects those to ever be fair! If anything I found Yag's skate in Ice Age 2's second show pretty bad, yet it wasn't just the judges - the audiences loved it as well). I guess just the whole thing sounded a bit petty; and no, it wasn't the regular "all other kids were mistreating me" (which I wouldn't have had a problem with); it was more of, I believe, "Yagudin would always hit me in a way that nobody would be able to see who did it, but I'd always know". I'm sure it's true and everything, just seems somewhat tired by now.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Ximena, you are right on many counts (including the show - but then again, whoever expects those to ever be fair! If anything I found Yag's skate in Ice Age 2's second show pretty bad, yet it wasn't just the judges - the audiences loved it as well). I guess just the whole thing sounded a bit petty; and no, it wasn't the regular "all other kids were mistreating me" (which I wouldn't have had a problem with); it was more of, I believe, "Yagudin would always hit me in a way that nobody would be able to see who did it, but I'd always know". I'm sure it's true and everything, just seems somewhat tired by now.

It is tired. Especially because there are other stories of Plushenko/Yagudin playing football together/ going out as well. I have no doubt that Yagudin probably did pick on Plushenko a bit, and I"m not condoning it. But Plushenko get over it. You got to keep the coach, and stay in Russia.

Still honestly their whole relationship seems almost like a sibling rivalry type of thing. Except Yagudin has thankful grown up and Plushenko well hasn't.

Honestly, I blame some of this on Mishin, what was he thinking in the beginning when he choose to coach both boys?

wallykater

Spectator
Honestly, I blame some of this on Mishin, what was he thinking in the beginning when he choose to coach both boys?

Huh? Blame Mishin? What coach in his right mind wouldn't want to coach such skaters of emmense talent? Believe you me, I would! Smart man. He knew they'd be champions.