Plushenko's son, shocking article | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's son, shocking article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
To be fair, I'm only shocked by prolonged existing of this thread in this forum :dev2: and too many attitudes to comprehend :tantrum:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I SAW THIS INTERVIEW IN RUSSIAN WITH PLUSHENKO'S WIFE. THIS ARTICLE IS TRUE, just a translation of that interview.

really?" Millionaire mother of five-year-old Russian skating prodigy admits beating him with a belt and locking him in a dark cupboard so he can become 'the best skater in the world' "

is she said it?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I am at a loss when I see that little clip. We're all different but, when I was being bullied at school, I had no joy. Even in the classes I enjoyed, I never smiled, I never sang along to music, even though I was a singer. Sasha is either happy, or the best little actor I know. My heart is heavy over this story and I just hope things will work out for Plushy and his family.

Because that is an acting class in Academy. All of the children are singing

Scott512

Record Breaker
I recently left a job as a foster care/family preservation case worker in child protective services. I have seen the effects of the horrible things people can and will do to their family members, and I can say with no shadow of a doubt that you truly cannot spot an abuser based on their interactions with other people or the image they present to society. Behind closed doors, anything can happen. I have worked with foster care parents who appeared to love and care for the child in their care, only to find out that they were abusing the child as well. I've seen rich abusers and poor abusers, and I've spoken with teachers, friends of the family, and others that swore up and down that the abusers couldn't possibly have done those things because they are 'respected members of the community' or are 'such nice people' (which are also used in denials of domestic abuse). And do you know the saddest part? The children, 9 times out of 10, would say that they did not want to be removed from their home and that they still loved their parents.

I do follow the videos on Plushenko's academy, and I do think that Sasha does look happy and involved while he's skating. I think he really does enjoy the sport, but I also believe the level of pressure that is put on him is ridiculous. And like many posters have said, most children wouldn't mention anything about abuse the way Sasha did out of the blue. CPS services has started many investigations based on a teacher/coach reporting something a child has said because children up until a certain age don't know any better.

Despite that, I really do hope the situation is not as dire as I believe. I hope that Sasha will be able to choose his own path once he is able to, and I hope that he will be healthy both physically and mentally. A great amount of psychological damage can be done at such a young age. No two children are the same, so if there is truth to the article, it will be impossible to predict how Sasha will be affected. Either way, this will definitely shadow me as I continue to watch the progress of Sasha and the other skaters at the Academy.

Amazing post. Thank you for your insight.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I have no idea what this thread morphed into, but it reminded me of a documentary I watched a few years ago about horribly strict sports parents called Trophy Kids. Excellent film, but hard to watch. I really recommend it...only wish they had featured some skating parents.

Abuse comes in all forms so while Sasha may not being literally beaten or locked up, the way they are exploiting him is still horrible. There is a reason we have child labor laws (I don't know what they're like in Russia, though). Child actors also have very strict guidelines nowadays and they still often end up extremely messed up. I don't care that he's earning money. So what? The Olsen Twins are ultra wealthy and do they look happy and well adjusted?

Nobody really knows what their disciplinary style is like when the cameras aren't around. Everyone tries to show their best side to the world on social media - you only see as much as they decide to show you. All I know is that Sasha has the worst of both worlds...both sport and stage parents. And at his age he doesn't know any other reality, so of course he isn't going to question it or resist. But that time will come.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Food for thought for those who think it is alright to beat a child - both Hitler and Stalin had fathers who were abusive and violent, both were severely beaten as children and though their mothers (another similarity!) were kind and protective they had no say in the household. Looks like little Sasha hasn't got even that but maybe when parents act as a united front it is not so confusing & damaging to a child? :sarcasm:

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
We feel everyone has had their say on this difficult topic. Please do not open a new thread on the subject, as we will close it at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.