Plushenko's son, shocking article | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's son, shocking article

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightphoton

Medalist
Plushenko and wife are controversial parents

Rudkovskaya was accompanied by her son, who was asked to name his punishments.

He immediately said: "The belt."

She admitted that "it happens sometimes" with a "small narrow belt" usually administered by her husband, Evgeny.

As well as corporal punishment, the boy also told how he was forced to sit in a "dark room."

She said that Evgeny went through a similar routine when he was trained.

"His mother told me how she raised him. In order to be the best on the planet, don't take pity on your child."

"He has one attitude to toys that he was gifted, and a completely different one to the ones he worked for. He earned them. He took part in a show and got toys
."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-prodigy-admits-beating-locking-cupboard.html

Last edited by a moderator:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
WTH did I just read?!

I really really really hope this isn't true...makes me sick to think about it.

Scott512

Record Breaker
:(
Millionaire mother of five-year-old Russian skating prodigy admits beating him with a belt and locking him in a dark cupboard so he can become 'the best skater in the world'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-prodigy-admits-beating-locking-cupboard.html :eek: :(

Is the older Plushenko son going through this too or just the 5 year old?

For the mother of the five year old to be talking about how people pay money to see a five year old skate blows my mind that's too much pressure for a 15 year-old let alone a 5 year old. This kid's father took part in I believe five Olympics His longevity was as great as his greatness as a figure skater. that Evgeni plushenko allows this to be done to his five-year-old son sours me on him a little bit.

This is sad but some will say that is the Russian way the old school way.

We know Russian coaches are very tough on their students much tougher than American or Canadian coaches.

This makes me sad. But the outrage will come from outside Russia. Most Russians will be like this is our way. but most of the world will frown on this for sure as a cruel and outdated form of coaching.

Alina, Alena and Sasha are lucky they are girls and didnt face whippings and being left in the dark.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Regarding that Spletnik article daily mail refers to. At the part about the belt they simply took two phrases from that video interview and concatenated them to receive the needed effect.

kimi492

Final Flight
This whole thread is sickening - crying cultural norms only gets you so far and it’s logic completely breaks down when applied across the board. I don’t care what culture or country you’re from there are certain lines that if crossed have unintended physiological effects on a child. I myself was disciplined as a small child with spankings or with a switch (as we call it in the south) for really outrageous behavior on my part - like smacking my siblings, being a little hell raiser etc. I personally would not do this toward a child of my own, but regardless, its what was done to me as a kid and many others so I’m not understanding the narrative American parents aren’t disciplinarians. However, a belt is very excessive (everyone I personally know that was whipped with a belt as a kid was a victim of severe abuse), and sensory deprivation is child abuse and neglect whether you like it or not. I’m also concerned at the nature of the punishments - normal kid destructive antics are one thing - but they’re beating him and locking him in the dark for what?? Not skating well enough? I would not be surprised in the least if their kid goes nowhere in the sport - that kind of treatment breeds resentment .

VegMom

On the Ice
This is one of the major problems with sports that require early specialization. Very young children may be forced/manipulated into the sport simply because they have talent. But without the internal motivation, they will likely just quit as soon as they can escape the grips of their parents/coaches.

Objectively, research suggests such punishments are ineffective in modifying behavior, but there are children who receive spankings and turn into fine adults.
Yes, scientifically speaking, punitive discipline is ineffective at achieving most of the stated goals of those who use it.
http://www.naspcenter.org/factsheets/effdiscip_fs.html

Western parenting is far more permissive now than it was 30 or 40 years before, especially in America. In the mid 20th century it was totally socially acceptable to strike your children, or even someone else's children if they behaved badly. Kids weren't considered special then, and no one was looking out for their psyches. Things have obviously changed to the point where a lot of American kids have no discipline whatsoever now.
First off, there aren't just two choices in parenting - authoritarian and permissive. There are more styles of parenting in the middle, called authoritative. One such style will avoid punitive discipline but still sets limits and boundaries. The idea is that children are viewed as individuals who deserve basic respect and so the way to instill values and set limits is by modeling, sharing stories, talking it out, negotiating, natural consequences, role play, etc. To view that style of parenting as 'permissive' would be misunderstanding it. Truly permissive parenting is more similar to neglect whereas truly authoritarian parenting is more similar to abuse. Authoritative parenting is doing parenting right.
https://www.parentingscience.com/authoritative-parenting-style.html

2nd, you're actually wrong about your assumption that Americans are super permissive. The majority of Americans still approve of spanking!
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...nking-vary-by-party-race-region-and-religion/

Because i think some of them are overtolerant and too soft. This is my impression from various sources like youtube and so. Some of the parents allowing kids to do whatever they want, and kids starting to learn how to manipulate them the way they want(i've also seen examples of it in our country) and becoming uncontrollable.
Having a compliant child is a value that not all parents have. It's also a trait that not all children easily possess (some kids are 'naturally compliant' and others are destined more for leadership).

Many of us who choose to raise our children without punishment value other things more than compliance. Compliance is reserved only for important safety issues - for instance, it's absolutely necessary that my child does not run out into a busy street. He must be compliant about that. And I enforced that - physically when he was young - by holding his hand.

But is it absolutely necessary for him to obey everything every adult says? No. I do not have authoritarian values and I do not believe he should obey every adult. I feel like that type of parenting is what leads to situations where children are sexually abused for decades and no one ever finds out - because the children are super compliant and the parents value compliance over speaking up. It's also the style of parenting that leads to Nazi soldiers who blindly follow orders.

My values are different. I want to raise a child who is internally motivated on subjects such as ethics and justice. I also happen to believe that when it comes to sports that require great sacrifice - such as figure skating - the motivation should come from within as well.

Definition of abuse: again if it not penalize by the law is not abuse. I was discipline like this as a child, I don´t consider I was abuse, neither the law in my country, in my culture this is normal.
No, something can be abuse without being against the law.
Rape existed before all the types that exist were/are against the law. It's still rape.
Slavery was still slavery before it was illegal. It was still wrong.
And child abuse is still child abuse even if the culture accepts it as common and allows it.

ssminnow

Rinkside
I don't know if this article is truth or gossip, but unfortunately this kind of parenting is normalized or even praised in many cultures. Coming from one such culture, my parents did things not too far off from the kind of punishment described in the article. As an adult I went back to my home country to travel, and once struck up a conversation with a teacher. I told her about the beating I would get anytime I didn't get a perfect score on a test, and honestly was expecting some empathy. But after hearing everything, the only thing she had to say was "So did your test scores improve?"

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Everyone has their own opinions about when (if ever) and what degree of corporal punishment is ok...I'm not going to get into that. But if he's really being punished to keep him in line for training and business reasons, I don't see how that can possibly be defended. This kid doesn't need to be a breadwinner for his wealthy parents. 30 minutes(!) of free time a day? Why would any 5 year old need to train that hard? He isn't going to be eligible for the Olympics any time soon. I wonder if he will even still like figure skating when he reaches his teenage years.

And even if there is no corporal punishment going on, the poor kid is already completely overexposed in the media. He's not a circus monkey.

And yes, it's possible to like Plushenko as a skater and yet be massively disappointed with some of the things he does as a person. He is a flawed human being like everyone else. And you cannot pin all this on Yana - he chose her and chose to let her be the mother of this child. They are equally responsible for the way they raise him.

millie

Medalist
Plushenko didn't beat Sasha. If the worst case is true he hit his bottom once. Well I must say I did it with my hands with my beautiful daughter once.. She was histeric she didn't listen me, I tried to talk with her. But that was unsuccesful. After my action she surprised and became calm. She grew up, she is an electric engeneer now. Have you a child?

----

This si Sasha's coach..I would like to hear his opinion on this case https://www.instagram.com/p/BfpuyAeg69k/?taken-by=gnomgnomych Probably Sasha told him many things..[/QUOTE

There is a difference in discipline and child abuse. Every child needs to be disciplined sometime in their early years. You don’t need to condone bad behaviour in a child. But it’s child abuse that different. What these parents are doing to this baby because really that’s what 5 year old is child abuse. In my neck of the woods, if we know off or see anyone abusing a child or know of child abuse and don’t report it, we can be charged also along with the parent. Anyone in their right mind, would report it. Probably in the figure skating world, this is the norm and people just don’t care.....oh my...

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Children can be amazingly resilient though it would be hard to survive such treatment unscathed to adulthood.... Reminds me of an incident from my own past. I was in second grade about 7 years old. Corporal punishment was encouraged in schools and my teacher kept a large wood ping-pong paddle in her desk drawer for this purpose. The unfortunate child to endure such punishment was required to bend over, grasp their ankles then was smacked on the bottom. One day the whole class returned from recess being generally noisy and chaotic and teacher called for quiet... we were slow to obey so she selected me as the one to punish. Everyone fell silent as she called my name and ordered me to the front of the class. I stood up, quietly pushed my chair under my desk, faced the teacher and said "No"!
This enraged her. Again, she gestured with the dreaded paddle toward the front of the room calling my name, and again I said "No!" I knew if she,wanted me up there she would have a fight on her hands; she would have to drag me kicking and screaming up there but I would not go voluntarily. She must have realized this because she told me to sit down then resumed normal activity. To this day I wonder what possessed me... hah!! Kids aren't dumb..

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm going to put on the qualified and experienced mandatory reporter's hat that I had hoped never to have to wear again, and say one thing:

A five-year-old child has stated on the record that he has been hit or threatened with hitting, and isolated, by his parents.

He deserves to be believed. His comment deserves to be investigated and his well-being assured. He deserves to be safe, well, loved, cared for and unafraid.

That is all.

Now I'm going to go away and be very very angry with the world, yet again, probably for a very long time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If this is true it is very disturbing. Sports, skating should be for joy. It is nice to be a champion but it isn't for everyone- skating or whatever. WE should encourage and nourish and cheer but not force expectations upon our children. Children deserve love no matter what even if they aren't the best athlete or at math or whatever. I really hope this story is wrong or misrepresented.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Everyone has their own opinions about when (if ever) and what degree of corporal punishment is ok...I'm not going to get into that. But if he's really being punished to keep him in line for training and business reasons, I don't see how that can possibly be defended. This kid doesn't need to be a breadwinner for his wealthy parents. 30 minutes(!) of free time a day? Why would any 5 year old need to train that hard? He isn't going to be eligible for the Olympics any time soon. I wonder if he will even still like figure skating when he reaches his teenage years.

And even if there is no corporal punishment going on, the poor kid is already completely overexposed in the media. He's not a circus monkey.

And yes, it's possible to like Plushenko as a skater and yet be massively disappointed with some of the things he does as a person. He is a flawed human being like everyone else. And you cannot pin all this on Yana - he chose her and chose to let her be the mother of this child. They are equally responsible for the way they raise him.

NOOO! 30 minutes to watch the cartoons. But I agree Sasha is in too much spotlight.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
WTH did I just read?!

I really really really hope this isn't true...makes me sick to think about it.

And do you believe it? Can you imagine that they did it? Plushy brings the belt and beats Sasha if he didn't work hard. You follow him, them. I know not everybody is same without cameras. Do you think he has no soul? I hardly believe he can separate his life into two parts and he is a nice person who adores the children the animals and after he beats with belt his 5 y.o. son because he didn't train hard as he waited.. Oh, folks...

Because Sasha is a well-known kid, he met with many persons, he is playing with kids on Academy, he had governesses, do you think they don't say anything to the media?? I believe after this we need to wait will be more informations from the abuse..if that happened...

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I log onto goldenskate at 4am with a wicked case of insomnia, see this thread, and immediately wondered if I’d found a way to time travel back to 2010, when the Plushenko dumpster fire gong-show-style threads were in their heyday. Yeesh.

I’m insanely overtired at the moment, so I can’t really put together a comprehensive post to explain my thoughts on this scenario, so let me just say, I hope little Sasha is not a victim of child abuse at the hands of his own mother, or Plushy, or anyone, for that matter. :( This is never acceptable, no excuses.

:bed: Off to try this “sleep” thing again.

iorii

On the Ice
Daily Mail is not a credible source but there are few articles from other sites as well (1 2), though I don't know their credibility.

I don't want to believe these articles but I don't think a five-year-old can blurt out a joke about getting whipped with a belt and being locked up.

My dad grew up being whipped with a belt too, it's not right that's why he never did the same to me. I don't care if it's common, but it's not right in any way. I don't want it to be normalized.

Yuzuru, your fave is a person who beats up his five-year-old...

I don't want to believe this but :tantrum: back to my bolded point

LadyB

Record Breaker
Let's say, the story was true (bearing in mind, I don't believe a word the Daily Mail writes, especially not in the current political climate). But just for the sake of it:

1. I never liked Plushenko, and if he would tolerate that somebody, no matter who, lays a finger on his child, then he's totally toast to me.
2. I'm rather shocked how many of you guys accept this kind of treatment as something, which is 'not right', but it's 'just the way it is and always has been in some countries'.
3. It's 2018 and we have something like Human Rights in the world.
4. Well then, it's probably perfectly okay when people who disagree with governments are being locked up, tortured or even killed, because it is custom in certain countries.
5. Certainly not my bag.

LRK

Record Breaker
Since I don't understand Russian, I will not go into any of that - what anyone may or may not have said.

However, about Sasha, from what I've seen.

Do I think that he is cruelly coerced into skating against his will? No, he's an exuberant child who is in nowise subdued or repressed, and he clearly loves what he is doing.

Do I think it is too much overexposure at his age? Yes, I definitely do. I believe his parents mean well, but "good intentions" can only carry you so far. I do not think this kind of media attention is something that is adviseable for a child his age.

(Of course this is not an issue for him alone, but any kind of "child star", be they in advertising, film or whatever. I'm not saying all is doom and gloom, but it is risky, and great care & caution are needed.)

Klarnet

On the Ice
The whole case is too much exaggerated in the media, making Yana some cruel monster. I don't really believe the scale of beating is as depicted in media. They probably hit him once slightly, but being them a celebrity and getting a lot of backlash has blown it all out of proportion. We all know there is much more worse abuse from real monsters happening all over the world in ordinary families, which does not get dailymail front page.

Also being them a celebrity, strict parenting is not their main problem, more like the other way round - celebrity offsprings known to be too spoiled and often feel they can get away with anything. So maybe punishment in this family had reasonable basis,let's face it kids could be cruel and manipulative, and it was mentioned that they punished him when he was treating badly other people, not because he could not perform a jump:)

Status
Not open for further replies.