Plushy's Choreography | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Plushy's Choreography

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
It's hard to say what B/S, S/P, or I/Z would have to practice to get back up to eligible status from the Stars on Ice show, because they performed no SBS jumps or spins (SBS or pairs). (S/P didn't perform SBS jumps in a recent pro comp because one of them was injured, so I'm not sure what they can do now.) I think S/P did throw 3's, one whose height was spectacular, as good as any I've seen at the last two Worlds, and B/S did a 3Tw, a real stunner. Both teams did spectacular lifts, but I'm not sure which ones would be considered legal in eligible competition.

Although I'm not taken with I/Z, they, like B/S and S/P, were very sharp. They all skate with a different patina, though, much like Torville and Dean when they came back in the 1994 Olympics. Like in A Chorus Line, where Cassie is auditioning for the chorus, and the Director yells at her to be less individual.

Vash01

Medalist
When G&G decided to return to eligible skating, they got off the pro tour and returned to Russia to practise for several months in order to be competitive. I would expect any pro skater to follow a similar approach to make a successful return to the eligible ranks and some may not be successful regardless. Kat Witt had only limited technical skills even when she won the 1988 Olympics. There was no way she was going to learn the 3 lutz combination and other difficult jumps to be competitive with the eligible skaters in 1994. Her sixth place finish was an accomplishment for someone who had been a pro for 6 years. G&G were probably able to do it because of their young ages, and their foundation in the USSR sporting system. M&D had been away just a couple of years so they were in the best position to make a come back and they certainly did, although they could not please the judges.

If B&S were to make a comeback, they could do it. Their throws are even bigger than in 2002. At last year's pro competitions they were able to land sbs triple jumps and had great unison on sbs spins. They may not become gold medal contenders unless they have two sbs triple jumps however.

I don't see S&P make a succcessful come back. They were lucky to get those medals when they did. Their throws are considerably smaller (I have not seen them this year yet, except in a Holiday show routine)- both as eligibles and pros, and I have not seen them do sbs jumps at all. If they had sbs jumps of the caliber of T&M, they could make a come back even with small throws.

I&Z improved a great deal after turning pros in their performance ability. They were lucky to win a worlds bronze, and I don't see them be competitive in the eligible circuit because they were never secure in their technical elements, epecially the sbs jumps (John).

To go back to what shdotz (?) said, it is not like B&S (the poster could not even remember their names, which makes me wonder if he/she really hates this pair) are past their prime, but rather they are like other pros - past and present- and they may actually be in a better shape to make a come back than other pros (though I don't believe they will).

I am completely OT now. How did I get this far? I guess it's because other skaters were mentioned while discussing Plushenko's choreography.

Vash

Last edited:
IMO, Sale and Pelletier would never go back. They -- especially Jamie -- have taken to pro touring like a duck to water. I can see Jamie as the next great showman in the Scott Hamilton / Kurt Browning tradition.

BTW, and way off topic -- I read that Surya Bonaly has petitioned the ISU for reinstatement and wants to skate competitively for France (despite having recently become a U.S. citizen).

Mathman

shdotz

On the Ice
Vash01 - reply, kinda

To me, this posting is conversation and not argumentation.

I've stated my beliefs and you've stated yours.

I intend no harm, no argument; for me, this subject has been stated.

sh