Post National Chat | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Post National Chat

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is that Landry? If so, I was surprise other two seniors got 4CC ahead of her. She seemed more of a prospect live, particularly vs JM
Yup. Fée Ann Landry. She has no tech mins...that's why they could not send her...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pedestrian question:

rewatching now with the English language commentary instead of the French. Who was the woman commenting with Ted at the men's FS

(I love her comment about Anthony: You can't teach that level of performance. If you're trying to learn it, good luck) :

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Mom and I saw her live. The arena reacted very positively to her skate (after everyone else falling and popping like it was an obligatory element, lol). The speed was low vs other girls in short, yes, but in the free she was fine. Her spins are fine as well. She has a focused expression on her face in the free (no wonder), but unlike other junior girls (including Lulu, minus Volkova) she doesn't zip from corner to corner, but tries to show choreo. Shi is obviously better with glide and knees, but just as obviously worse on jumps. Shiryaeva with bronze wouldn't have surprised anyone. She sure is not any slower than Levito.

The bottom line is they taught her how to jump in Russia, and taught her well, so it's up to the Canadians to teach her how to glide, particularly since they are so frightfully good at it. So...yeah. It's up to the BC school to support her more and package her better. Russians usually use speed, choreo and lightness across the ice as compensation for less soft knees than the Asian skaters, so I don't see why her coach can't work on the same thing, since knees is not something they can replace.

I am not surprised that they didn't put Shiryaeva in, since Reuiter is not exactly senior material yet and won gold, but Lulu over Shi is not a smart choice imo, since Shi has more to offer vs Japanese and Korean junior women. Plus, it's unfair toward the top junior men who skated better than the senior lot overall.
Hetty Shi does not have a reliable 3Lz. The lutz is the compulsory single jump in this years SP for juniors. With a 2Lz instead of a triple, or with a 3Lz fall, Hetty would be at risk of not progressing to the free at Junior Worlds (usually over half the skaters don't make it). Lulu is the better choice given this years programme requirements.

I know that she's your favourite, but Shiryaeva isn't ready yet. Her low PCS are correct - she has not developed the stronger skating or presentation skills yet. I hope that she will stay in juniors for another year so that she has more time to develop and then transitions to seniors when she can be competitive, rather than moving up too early and having it stifle her progress and development.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Let's not forget that judges can be slow in rewarding skaters with good scores and presenting uliana at big events may not be a good idea in that sense... She could get a "she's not ready yet" label that could be very counterproductive. I hope she takes one more year to develop better skating.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hetty Shi does not have a reliable 3Lz. The lutz is the compulsory single jump in this years SP for juniors. With a 2Lz instead of a triple, or with a 3Lz fall, Hetty would be at risk of not progressing to the free at Junior Worlds (usually over half the skaters don't make it). Lulu is the better choice given this years programme requirements.

I know that she's your favourite, but Shiryaeva isn't ready yet. Her low PCS are correct - she has not developed the stronger skating or presentation skills yet. I hope that she will stay in juniors for another year so that she has more time to develop and then transitions to seniors when she can be competitive, rather than moving up too early and having it stifle her progress and development.
I am not seeing any reason for her to do seniors, but strategically, having 2 skaters with different strength is better than two skaters with the same strength. The way they decided on JWC, where skating skills are more forgiving, they are sending two pretty much identical skill sets. It would have made sense to back up a PSC skater with a jumper, not send two PCS skaters without jumps. They did that for Raikic and Paradis, so why deploy a different strategy for women? Also, not sending a single Asian skater to Taiwan from quite a few strong choices in men imo is also a mistake in judgment. Using seniors in junior tournaments creates a bad juju for Canada. We send our national champion to JWC to hopefully squeeze into top ten...not a good look. Just in my opinion, of course.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not seeing any reason for her to do seniors, but strategically, having 2 skaters with different strength is better than two skaters with the same strength. The way they decided on JWC, where skating skills are more forgiving, they are sending two pretty much identical skill sets. It would have made sense to back up a PSC skater with a jumper, not send two PCS skaters without jumps. They did that for Raikic and Paradis, so why deploy a different strategy for women? Also, not sending a single Asian skater to Taiwan from quite a few strong choices in men imo is also a mistake in judgment. Using seniors in junior tournaments creates a bad juju for Canada. We send our national champion to JWC to hopefully squeeze into top ten...not a good look. Just in my opinion, of course.
Lulu Lin is Asian and so is one of our dance team. Did you want to send our other National Senior champion Chiu ? :) I mean Terry isn't quite ready imho if that's what you were thinking.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maddie is still likely to move on to the FS; Not so sure about Ruiter. I know giving her experience. I guess we will see if MS implodes at 4CC's then maybre Skate Canada will do something.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yep she did. Sadly it was that Canada right now is in a lull in women's skating (and men's too).
I will give you that about men... but not about women. Fine, there is no Osmond or Daleman at this point but if you look at the depth, so many skaters are just ready to emerge... all they need is competition experience. Fée Ann is a great example of that. She can land all her big jumps and could do very well with more experience. Audréanne is also very good.. never been sent out internationally as a senior despite repeated good domestic outings. I think she's had ONE outing a couple years ago on the JGP and that's all... in 2021... So give these skaters some opportunities and you never know. Look at Kaetlyn, she competed a lot and very few people would have thought she would be a three time olympic medalist as well as a world champion when she had this competition at Skate Canada where she fell like pretty much on every single jump... She was back from injury and wasn't ready physically and mentally but the fed didn't give up on her talent and made her compete... The rest is brilliant history. So, this is what our skaters need. No need to call it a lull when it isn't. In men, again, I am willing to agree with you. Since Patrick, it's been a drought but we could count on Keegan and Nam... Now, it's a tough year. However, considering what is happening out of Connaught skating club with many young skaters pushing each other, who knows how long that drought will really be.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Then the junior world winner should get one spot, otherwise the future stars may get discouraged and quit skating.
I hear you. I don't know what the answer is. Canada's skating situation is not great so Skate Canada has o weigh everything carefully, more carefully than usual, as they are running out of time. Canada and medal in the team even was like women's hockey - Canada and US. Now they risk not qualifying for the World Team Trophy and being dropped after the SP at the olympics. The singles is a mess. The men's winner was third in the FS and not exactly charismatic without a lot of quads. Conrad, Roman and Stephen have not matched their potential even without injuries, weather and missing skates. The bronze medallist doesn't even have a triple axel. Granted is an amazing performer not seen since John Curry or Toller Cranston maybe. But that won't win medals. In the ladies no one like the men has taking the lead. Maddie seems almost disinterested at times. She had an easy win at Nats and she blew it. It was freezing but Calgary is one of the top five largest cities in Canada and the attendance in part due to the extreme cold were dismal. The magic was lost; it was like an inhouse skating comp. In dance Canada got weaker with the Danadian situation, you just know though Nik has not been found guilty of anything and there can't be criminal charges the judges definitely will let others pass them if they skate for get podiuming they will be behind Chock and Bates, the italians, Piper and Paul, Britain and possibly a French team and the up and coming LALA. Piper and Paul just don't seem to have enoughspark or tech to win a world title. But granted are still good and a good bet for a medal. In pairs Lia and Trennt in their sophomore year have not looked great. Even wobbles on the death spiral and inconsistent jumps. I do like Deanna and Max but she needs to really bring out the inner Diva and since they don't have big tricks they need to do everything perfectly with great speed and finish. I see Trennt and Lia following down the ladder the issue is will they be strong enough to stay ahead of the Americans. They will be behind Japan, 2 Italians, Germany maybe even two teams, , Deanna and Max, Georgia and most likely at last one if not two US teams, Both top Canadian teams need something -big tricks, extreme speed and style/pcs. The third team is up for grabs and neither has skated amazingly well. There has been potential for years with Gogo and Roman but you start to wonder. The further they slip down the national ladder and international ladder the less money they get for training/coaching/competing. Roman now two years in a row didn't make top 5. Gogo is so inconsistent. Wesley is the most consistent but also the least interest skater pc and jump or tech wise. I appreciate these tall skaters have to adjust to their body changes. We saw how Nam struggled but it seemed, sadly he did better than Gogo and Roman (who for the most part has always been tall. It is sad Roman skating skill wise and when on jumps has huge potential. Canada was a great skating nation but now they are a shadow of their former selves.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I hear you. I don't know what the answer is. Canada's skating situation is not great so Skate Canada has o weigh everything carefully, more carefully than usual, as they are running out of time.
I've been thinking about this more since reading the Anything GOES interview with Kevin Dawe where he talks about the National Pair Mentorship Program. Skate Canada figured out that it needed to get involved with developing pairs as a discipline. I thought the work they put in showed in the junior pairs event.

I think they've been too hands off with the singles as a whole. It's not that the skaters aren't trying to improve their performance, but the current strategy of Skate Canada isn't helping them get to where they need to be. I hope that they examine the results here and bring the same energy to singles that they brought to pairs. They should have realized that they needed to change their strategy last year, but here they are.

They know they can do it with pairs, now Skate Canada has to do it with singles.