Practice Reports NHK Trophy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports NHK Trophy

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
BTW, I found an article re: a brief interview of Taka & Kozuka after their official practice. http://www.plus-blog.sportsnavi.com/firefly/article/75
Most of the article is what I already translated. However, there were two interesting points:

1. Taka - Because of the double-footed landings, he may forego quad from his SD, just like he did at Skate Canada. The author said that the advantage of skating the last meant that Taka had the luxury of deciding his jump layout depending upon how well/poorly his competitors would have skated.

2. Kozuka - Regarding his struggle with jump, Kozuka said that some of his struggles have to do with the intricate transitions that his programs have incorporated. Particuarly challenging is the high level transitions right before jumpting paths, which are meant to milk as many points as possible. His jumping layout also is harder than the last year's program with higher base values.

I had a clear impression that all those difficulties are meant to challenge Chan. Interesting.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ok, the first ladies group official practice is about to start. Order of music:

1. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO);
2. Alena LEONOVA (RUS);
3. Cynthia PHANEUF (CAN);
4. Kiira KORPI (FIN);
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA).

Elena will practice her SD program while the remaining ladies skate on their FD programs.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Elene G
She only practiced double axels with very smooth landings. Her spins were also impressive that she showed her flexibility.

Alena LEONOVA
Alena did not attempt her opeing jump. She did a single loop and skipped most of the mid-section choreo; she stepped out two triple flips she tried.

Cynthia PHANEUF
She put her hand down at her opening triple lutz landing and fell on another jump. However, she landed a huge and beautiful triple toe loop-double toe loop combo jump with smooth landing.

Kiira Corpi
Kiira's FD music is "I Got Rhythm by George Gershwin," which is choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne. She skipped most of her jump in the beginning with abbreviated choreo. The commentator referred that Kiira's opening jump is toe loop, which is the part of the triple-triple combo.

Mae Berenice MEITE
Her FD music if "fever." She fell on her double axel-triple toe loop combo jump. She also fell on a double axel at the latter half of her program. Howeve, the commentator was imporessed with her jumps she was able to successfully landed.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the report & translation, much appreciated. :)

Surprised that Brandon hasn't gone all out on the 4L? I'm hoping this is not an indication of what is to happen in the SP & LP, as imho he needs to "own" this jump in more ways than one:

a.) for technical domination and to secure as many points as possible to beat those placed above him.
b.) to have any chance of making the podium, not only here but any podium, period.
c.) to silence the naysayers that say he should not have been credited as the first man to do the 3L in competition b/c it wasn't at an ISU ratified competition.

Konstantin Menshov, remember that name, as he has had a resurgence in his skating of late (personally I think it's b/c of Evgeni Plushenko ;) ). Mayhap he might prove more competition than all the others at Russian Nationals this year? Mmmm... Whatever the case, he's been skating unbelieveably great this past year, having won Russian Nationals for the first time ever in his career, after 9 appearances no less! And at age 28 (only one year younger than Zhenya). Also, he was the only one to attempt a quad in the FS, thereby securing his first ever trip to Euros last year. He's hungry, he wants more, therefore he's dangerous. :cool:

ps: personally I think he spooked the young pup, Brandon Mroz, and that's why Mroz doubled his quad and didn't attempt any more. Brandon has to buck up if he wants to compete with the big boys, whom have far more experience than he. jmho.

Lol, don't you know, all things lead to Evgeni Plushenko, the greatest male figure skater of the modern era.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Alena finished her practice before the conclusion of the official practice. Korpi's lutz appeared unstable, but her loop looked solid.
End of the first group.

The second group skaters have just entered into the rink. The music orders are:
1. Ashley Wagner;
2. Agnes ZAWADZKI;
3. Mao Asada;
4. Shoko Ishikawa;
5. Akiko Suzuki.
Only Wagner skate on her SD music; the rest are FDs.

Ashley Wagner
She had successfully landed all three required jump elements, :clap: only to fell during step sequence. :rolleye: However, she looked really light on her feet.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the report & translation, much appreciated. :)

Surprised that Brandon hasn't gone all out on the 4L? I'm hoping this is not an indication of what is to happen in the SP & LP, as imho he needs to "own" this jump in more ways than one:

a.) for technical domination and to secure as many points as possible to beat those placed above him.
b.) to have any chance of making the podium, not only here but any podium, period.
c.) to silence the naysayers that say he should not have been credited as the first man to do the 3L in competition b/c it wasn't at an ISU ratified competition.

Konstantin Menshov, remember that name, as he has had a resurgence in his skating of late (personally I think it's b/c of Evgeni Plushenko ;) ). Mayhap he might prove more competition than all the others at Russian Nationals this year? Mmmm... Whatever the case, he's been skating unbelieveably great this past year, having won Russian Nationals for the first time ever in his career, after 9 appearances no less! And at age 28 (only one year younger than Zhenya). Also, he was the only one to attempt a quad in the FS, thereby securing his first ever trip to Euros last year. He's hungry, he wants more, therefore he's dangerous. :cool:

ps: personally I think he spooked the young pup, Brandon Mroz, and that's why Mroz doubled his quad and didn't attempt any more. Brandon has to buck up if he wants to compete with the big boys, whom have far more experience than he. jmho.

Lol, don't you know, all things lead to Evgeni Plushenko, the greatest male figure skater of the modern era.

You have interesting points about Menshov. I can't wait to watch him skating on Kill Bill and Claire de Lune! Should be fascinating to see how he pull this off and also show the young pups how it's done. ;)

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Back to translating.

Agnes ZAWADZKI
Oh, this is interesting. The commentator remarked that Agnes dyed her hair in darker shade. Her music is "Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin" She fell on lutz; some of her jumps also looked underrotated. :sheesh: However, her demonstrated interesting positions on her sit spins.

Mao Asada
The commentator remarked that her beginning pose differed from that of the last year (Is she keeping the same FD from the last season?) She was not successful of her triple axel jump attempt. However, she nailed triple flip combination jump twice. Apparently Asada is retaining the same jump layouts from the last season.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Shoko Ishikawa
Her music is "Miss Saigon," which was choreographed by Shizuka Arakawa. She fell on her triple flip. All in all, her jumps looked shaky.

Akiko Suzuki
She nailed a beautiful triple lutz - her opening jump. Then she nailed the double axel-triple toe loop combination. Quality of her jumps became less during the latter half of the program, but she stayed concentrated on her program with full-choreographic run through.

Eight more minutes remains after the completion of program run throughs. Mao looked relaxed during her run through. She then started focusing on her SP choreography. Agnes and Shoko finished early. Akiko continued to practice triple loop-triple loop combo jump. Mao proceeded to practice tripl lutz. She fell on once but succeeded in the next attempt.

The end of practice. Mao attempted triple axel jump once but did double-footed landing.

End of translation. Good night.
Oops, before I go - It appears that Ashley Wagner and Akiko skated good. May not be surprising based on their respective previous result.

Last edited:

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Those of you who saw practices, did Menshov look stronger than Miner and Mahbanoozadeh? I'm working on my fantasy skating for this week and I initially had Miner, but I'm not thinking Menshov.

miki88

Medalist
Coach Sato has asked her off ice trainer not to gain extra weight on her and to increase muscles.So maybe she's been training core muscle.

Yea, I think so. Despite being thin, she looks pretty energetic (esp in steps sequences), so I don't think she looks frail like at Worlds last season.

babayaga

On the Ice
^^ I agree, I think she is fine. Mao does look thin, but healthy and strong at the same time.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Well Mao looks scary thin to me. Akiko looks both lean and strong. They are different body types, however. Also the jumps I have seen of Mao's have either been double footed or underrotated and it isn't just the 3A.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought Mao looked very energetic and also seemed very happy and smiling in the clip that was linked. She does look probably the thinnest I've ever seen her, but again very full of vitality.

ETA: Not that you can tell much by one short video clip, of course. And Mao is a champ and would be wanting to show her A game to start off the season. But still, she looked very smiling and not tense, which was great to see.