Practice Reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

Gosh, that fall can even rival those horrible pairs throw falls.

Yuzu, this is not the time to do Pogo things.

As it was said in the Yuzu fan fest, he left the ice after the fall rubbing his ankle and when he got back he avoided jumping and only did some spins. Then, he skipped the press conference and it was announced that he was going through medical treatment. I pray that he goes through this competition healthy and happy, both in mind and in body. I hope that he is just playing smart and taking care of his ankle properly and there is nothing to be worried about.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is the guy talking to Yuzu at the boards? It does not look like Orser.

Another coach from TCC, Brian is not in Japan. He is still recovering from the surgery.

frida80

Record Breaker
As it was said in the Yuzu fan fest, he left the ice after the fall rubbing his ankle and when he got back he avoided jumping and only did some spins. Then, he skipped the press conference and it was announced that he was going through medical treatment. I pray that he goes through this competition healthy and happy, both in mind and in body. I hope that he is just playing smart and taking care of his ankle properly and there is nothing to be worried about.

- - - Updated - - -

Another coach from TCC, Brian is not in Japan. He is still recovering from the surgery.

:drama:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Who is the guy talking to Yuzu at the boards? It does not look like Orser.

Briand Ghishlain. He has been to quite a few of Yuzuru's competitions, most noticeably he sat with him and Tracy in the K&C at WTT last season.

Debrah

On the Ice
It might be smarter for Hanyu to withdraw and look after his body; considering that Fernandez, Chan will not be doing the GPF either; I say let the less seasoned contender's -all mostly newbie's to the games, duke it out at GPF, putting the additional strain of an extra competition on their bodies, pressure of expectations on their minds instead. Hanyu certainly will not lose his ranking/huge PCS if he WD's from NHK as a result of his injury. The fans will be upset, but they will understand and certainly would rather he show up in Korea fully healed and ready to repeat than on crutches seated in the audience...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It might be smarter for Hanyu to withdraw and look after his body; considering that Fernandez, Chan will not be doing the GPF either; I say let the less seasoned contender's -all mostly newbie's to the games, duke it out at GPF, putting the additional strain of an extra competition on their bodies, pressure of expectations on their minds instead. Hanyu certainly will not lose his ranking/huge PCS if he WD's from NHK as a result of his injury. The fans will be upset, but they will understand and certainly would rather he show up in Korea fully healed and ready to repeat than on crutches seated in the audience...

It's not that simple, and I believe not as easy to withdraw for Yuzuru as it is for Patrick or Javier (who didn't withdraw, and skated sick to keep the chance of the GPF, probably when he knew he wasn't in condition that was needed). GPF is in Japan, which sets expectations for the Olympic Gold medalist to be there. If he's not, no matter the reason, that means he isn't competing at the arguably last big competition/last big power show-off of the candidates before the Olympics. It's not a plus point to not go to the GPF for Yuzuru. If he's injured that badly, sure, he should withdraw but I don't believe it. What we've seen so far of him, he has competed under difficult circumstances all the time. And NHK, he can win this or get a medal in a not so perfect condidtion. I believe he falls like this in practice probably pretty often. It's just not filmed, and he can rest when he's not competing the next day. He needs to put his programs out there. If he doesn't compete at these big competitions it makes the pressure to be perfect at the Olympics even worse. Obviously, all imho!

JustMe

On the Ice

I doubt what happens next is a matter of strategy. If his ankle is injured, he will withdraw because sprained ankles tend to get worse after a day, and the worse it is, it hurts to even put on a skating boot. But it seems like you're hoping the "newbies" get additional strain on their bodies and pressure on their minds...(and if anything, the "newbies" will get mileage on their programs, along with confidence--Which does not suggest that they'll have an advantage over a healthy Hanyu at the Olympics).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
After watching the video I can't tell if it is only his ankle that is injured it looks like he twisted his knee too.

Have we heard yet if it is ankle or knee or both?

MaiKatze is correct there is pressure on Yuzu to compete at NHK
and if he is able to do it physically Yuzu will be out on the ice for the SP.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't want another Cup of China disaster from a few seasons ago to repeat itself. I hope common sense prevails if the injury is serious enough.

After watching the video I can't tell if it is only his ankle that is injured it looks like he twisted his knee too.

Have we heard yet if it is ankle or knee or both?

MaiKatze is correct there is pressure on Yuzu to compete at NHK
and if he is able to do it physically Yuzu will be out on the ice for the SP.

It is confirmed to be both:
https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/928721719438823424

So, if the injured areas are not swollen on Friday, he is going to compete. Take care of yourself Yuzu :ghug:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If he's not, no matter the reason, that means he isn't competing at the arguably last big competition/last big power show-off of the candidates before the Olympics. It's not a plus point to not go to the GPF for Yuzuru.

I agree that it is not a plus to miss it. If he & Patrick & plausibly Fernandez are not there, then someone else is about to win a big title and head into the Olympics with it. Will mean a lot for any of the young guys.

Disagree about it being the last big competition. If Yuzuru & Shoma are at Japanese Nationals, that will be a matchup between the reigning World gold & silver medalists. BIG event.

Most important thing for all the men is to stay healthy.

risingtrot

On the Ice
Even if Yuzuru misses this competition and the Grand Prix Final I still think he will still be chosen for the Olympics provided that he is capable and wants to do so. Japan has 3 slots and Yuzuru already made a name for himself and I'm sure the federation already knows it and it's already decided. That said if he is really in pain, I hope he skips this completion. If he forces it, it could just get worse and he will just end up not being ready for the Olympics. Anyway let's see how it goes.