Predictions/ hopes for worlds | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Predictions/ hopes for worlds

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
My hope is that Donovan Carrillo makes the free. He will be the first man from Mexico to do in the current system if he does (I think Mexico has had a lady qualify for the free...not sure)

moriel

Record Breaker
I really hope Zagitova wins gold.
Wonder if any lady managed to ever win gold at all 4: GPF, Europeans/4CC(whatever applies) Olympics and Worlds in one year?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I really hope Zagitova wins gold.
Wonder if any lady managed to ever win gold at all 4: GPF, Europeans/4CC(whatever applies) Olympics and Worlds in one year?

Nope. Though it is worth mentioning the Katerina Witt did win Olympics, Euros and Worlds all in once season... twice. Had the GPF final existed I suspect she would have won.

vavavoom

Rinkside
My hope is that Donovan Carrillo makes the free. He will be the first man from Mexico to do in the current system if he does (I think Mexico has had a lady qualify for the free...not sure)

They did!
24th place in 2009 in ladies, Ana Cecilia Cantu.

If Isadora Williams makes top 24, she will be the first South American to do so in any discipline. And her continent will be the 6th continent to do so.... surprisingly a South African skater made it to LS back in the year 2000 where she finished 24th.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
It will be really interesting to see which ladies qualify to the FS. Thirteen will not make it.
I'm thinking that these thirteen are the most vulnerable:

Dubinina
McKay
Grm
Stomakhina
Kropa
Gjersem
Lin
Liinamae
Kuchvalska
Austman
Brezinova
Lindfors
Leccardi

Ostlund
Li
Williams
Paganini
Kim
Craine
Toth
Lecavelier
Hendrickx

Kuchvalska would normally be a relatively safe bet to qualify, but her average on the SP this season has been less that 40. :curse: Austman is coming off a kind of momentum after surpassing expectations at Pyeongchang, and being Canadian can't hurt; however, skating in the second group definitely will. The field is really quite strong this year, so Lindfors will have to be on top form to qualify, especially being that she's also going in the second group. I haven't seen Leccardi, although I know that she recently scored 53+. Skating in the first group will definitely hurt, but home field advantage might help a lot.

Ostlund definitely has what it takes to make it through, but she fell apart at Euros FS and Pyeongchang SP. Li seems to be on a downward trend, and she qualified by the skin of her teeth for the FS at the Olympics. Also, she'll have to overcome skating in the first group. Williams will need to not make errors in order to qualify, skating Group 2. Paganini's position is similar but a bit safer, going in Group 4. The spots seem relatively more sure for Craine and Kim. It's probable that a +1-2pt Group 5 bonus will keep Toth, Hendrickx, and Lecavlier out of danger even with a mistake. If anybody else fails to qualify, it will be a big shock.

vavavoom

Rinkside
It will be really interesting to see which ladies qualify to the FS. Thirteen will not make it.

Kuchvalska would normally be a relatively safe bet to qualify, but her average on the SP this season has been less that 40. :curse: Austman is coming off a kind of momentum after surpassing expectations at Pyeongchang, and being Canadian can't hurt; however, skating in the second group definitely will. The field is really quite strong this year, so Lindfors will have to be on top form to qualify, especially being that she's also going in the second group. I haven't seen Leccardi, although I know that she recently scored 53+. Skating in the first group will definitely hurt, but home field advantage might help a lot.

Ostlund definitely has what it takes to make it through, but she fell apart at Euros FS and Pyeongchang SP. Li seems to be on a downward trend, and she qualified by the skin of her teeth for the FS at the Olympics. Also, she'll have to overcome skating in the first group. Williams will need to not make errors in order to qualify, skating Group 2. Paganini's position is similar but a bit safer, going in Group 4. The spots seem relatively more sure for Craine and Kim. It's probable that a +1-2pt Group 5 bonus will keep Toth, Hendrickx, and Lecavlier out of danger even with a mistake. If anybody else fails to qualify, it will be a big shock.

I am actually surprised Kuchvalska was sent. I think that we may be unfortunately looking at her getting the last place or being bottom 3. Nikitina did have the TES if Junior events were also counted... but Worlds require the TES from senior events only.

Otherwise, I agree with your prediction list. I hope some of my personal favs will make it.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I am actually surprised Kuchvalska was sent. I think that we may be unfortunately looking at her getting the last place or being bottom 3. Nikitina did have the TES if Junior events were also counted... but Worlds require the TES from senior events only.

Otherwise, I agree with your prediction list. I hope some of my personal favs will make it.
With Kuchvalska... I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best. I couldn't even find video of her performances from this season. I was also so surprised that she was on the entries list. It's such a shame because she's been one of my top favorites for the past quad.

It will be really intriguing to see what happens! Really hoping all the ladies turn things around and do their best. Euros and Pyeongchang were sadly lackluster outside of the top 6 or so. Either way, I can hardly wait!