Predictions/ hopes for worlds | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Predictions/ hopes for worlds

kalee

On the Ice
Hopes:
- Wakaba to get a medal, now that Medvedeva has withdrawn
- Japan to get back 3 spots
- Gabby to be back with a vengeance and have a great redemption skate after Olympics
- Mirai to have at least one clean program with a 3A

Predictions:
1st: Zagitova
Key medal contenders: Kostner, Miyahara, Osmond
Likely 5th - 7th places: Higuchi, Sotskova, Tennell
Likely 8th - 12th places: Daleman, Choi, Konstantinova, Nagasu, Bell

nekun

On the Ice
Hope:

Men:
1.Shoom, you have one job to win this thing, you're the OSM, you're at the highest rank in the World Standing, aren't you tired with Silver?!11??
2. Keiji rotate, no pops please
3. Kazuki you are the Future, show the World what you capable off. No more stsq level 2 please

Ladies:
1. Satoko for silver, please babe you can do it
2. 3 spots for Japan ladies
3. Wakaba no pops please.

Pair: J/C medal

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Likely 5th - 7th places: Higuchi, Sotskova, Tennell
Likely 8th - 12th places: Daleman, Choi, Konstantinova, Nagasu, Bell
Daleman and Choi would have to have a mediocre night to place below Tennell, it seems to me.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Just stop it now really...Anna and Luca deserved that gold. They didn’t have chance to get on the podium since 2014, while W/P got 3(!) world medals. Fingers crossed for Anna and Luca! :pray:

But world medals aren't based off of past podiums... they're based on actual skating.

Also, I just realized that Evgenia and Wakaba haven't gotten to compete with each other since Rostelecom :( their friendship is so cute and I will miss it so much at Worlds :cry:

randomfan

Record Breaker
I have a lot of hopes, but my biggest ones are to see Satoko on the podium (it’s about time!) alongside either Wakaba or Gabby (both would be nice, but that’s very unlikely :(), and to see Japan regain their third spot.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Hope:

Men:
1.Shoom, you have one job to win this thing, you're the OSM, you're at the highest rank in the World Standing, aren't you tired with Silver?!11??

Shoom is always 2nd best to Yuzu. this is his chance!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just stop it now really...Anna and Luca deserved that gold. They didn’t have chance to get on the podium since 2014, while W/P got 3(!) world medals. Fingers crossed for Anna and Luca! :pray:

I don't think anyone is questioning the judging, but just noting that the results were very, very close, and could have gone any way among the top 3 teams. All of the top 3 that year deserved the gold medal!

Olympic

On the Ice
Men -

1. Uno - silver medalist at '17 Worlds and the Olympics. I think he will step up. He has a PCS edge over Chen and can get the no. of quads he needs to be #1. Also, international judging panels like him and he is no. 1 with Yuzu out.
2. Chen - He is capable of getting the best TES in the world. I think a lot will depend on where he is with the 4Z. It was rumored he was leaving out the 4Z due to foot issues, but he could still do enough to take silver w/ 4F, 4T and 4S. If he is fully well, I could see Nathan doing enough to win.
3. Boyang - It is apparent from the Olympics that he is not quite even on a big stage w/ Uno or Chen (If Chen is clean). Despite Nathan's disastrous SP at the Olympics, Boyang only beat him by less than a point w/ good skates.
4. Kolyada or Aliev - Interchangeable. If Kolyada stands up in his programs, he could threaten Boyang for 3rd place. International judging panels shower him w/ PCS and GOE. The problem is he rarely if ever does. Aliev could get 100 points in the SP and skate a better LP this time to reach 4th. I don't see Aliev threatening the podium though.
5. Zhou - Vincent beat both Russian men at the Olympics, but I think one of the Russians will do very well at Worlds. Vincent usually is a little sloppy in the SP which would put him behind or even in the penultimate group, and make a clean Kolyada or Aliev hard to beat. He is however growing into quite a competitor overall w/ a huge technical arsenal.
6. Aliev or Kolyada - See above. I don't think both Russian men will be spot-on, so IMO one of them will finish lower than Zhou.
7. Bychenko - Alexei lately gets the job done. He is a crowd pleaser, although I find his extension and some of his positions in non-jump elements kinda blah. I also think he can get a great score in the SP. The final group is not out of the question when you consider the absence of Yuzu, Javi, Patrick, Rippon, Brown, Zhou's usual sloppiness in the SP, and a possible crack-up by one of the Russians.
8. Keegan or Nam - I think one has the goods to place well.

Samohin will probably round out the top 10.

Ladies

1. Zagitova - I don't think this is in dispute
2. Osmond - See above
3. Miyahara - She is too much of a fighter to not find a way onto the podium
4. Higuchi - She is a TES wizard and should find some redemption here.
5. Kostner - Skating in Italy. Final performance (assuming). I think she won't necessarily be perfect, but her PCS will blow the roof off the arena but her TES is falling off.
6. Daleman - Redemption. She may skate better than my placement suggests, but still finish behind Kostner on home turf.
7. Sotskova or Tennell - I think Sotskova and Tennell will both perform better than at the Olympics: Sotskova will stand up and Tennell will skate later in the SP and start getting a bump in the PCS. I also think Tennell will 'settle in' a bit better.

I don't see a route to 3 spots for US ladies.

Pairs

1. S/M or T/M - I think it will be sooo close, but I am pulling for S/M. I would like S/M to get a world title but I can't really predict.
3. M/H - I think skating in Italy will give Valentina and Ondrej the edge over J/C, although I think the two are pretty close. I assume they will retire w/ a world medal?
4. J/C
5. Y/Z

I think it's more of a jumble after these 5 pairs

Ice Dance

1. P/C
2. H/D - I honestly think it will be close between H/D and C/L (skating in Italy), but I am hoping that H/D shake off all those little niggling mistakes in the FD that have kept them down.
3. C/L
4. W/P - With V/M out, I do think we will see a bump in their PCS (fair or not) as CAN's #1 pair. Still, their skating at the Olympics even after reverting back to a great program was a little flat. I don't know if they have what it takes to get back on the podium.
5. C/B - I think it is possible but not likely they will place higher. They won the FD at Nationals and the talent is there, but I think an emotional performance will put C/L on the podium, W/P returning to their status as #1 CAN pair, and their teammates, H/D beating them at Nationals and Olympics will sadly keep them away from the podium
6. S/B

Sportfan

Match Penalty
I think it's going to be 1) Daleman 2) Zagitova 3) Osmond

Gabby is going to have the skates of her life, Zagitova is going to make mistakes and Osmond is going to be Osmond. :rolleye:

For the men, i hope Boyang and Kolyada are killing it :party2:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think it's going to be 1) Daleman 2) Zagitova 3) Osmond

Gabby is going to have the skates of her life, Zagitova is going to make mistakes and Osmond is going to be Osmond. :rolleye:

For the men, i hope Boyang and Kolyada are killing it :party2:

What?!?! You think Daleman is winning?!?! I mean.. i'd take it.. but that is a very very very very bold prediction.. you should def bet money on that because if that happened you'd be rich. I could see Osmond sneaking away with a world title if Zagitova falls..

Merjan

On the Ice
Would love S/M to win gold but I don't think they will do it.T/M will really want to do well and I think Aliona and Bruno will be tired.

I saw them at Art on Ice in Zürich recently, wearing their Olympics outfits. They didn't look tired. They were amazing. The crowd really loved them.

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Unfortunately - like always in an Olympic cycle the far less interesting event...
In Ladies the winner should be Alina.. Pairs Aljona and Bruno.... in case they fail... nevermind they got their Olympic gold...
Dance no doubt will be P/C...

So here are my few hopes:

Shoma, please win it! You‘re chance was never that high.... 2nd last worlds, 2nd GPF, 2nd 4CC and Olympics???? Please break that curse and nail that performance! When you are clean, you will win!!

I want my boy Deniss to finally skate a clean FS and finish in the Top 10...

I want Kolyada to be clean because he‘d deserve it! (And maybe take the bronze??)

I hope Valentina and Ondrej to repeat their Olympic performance on home soil... they are so fun and have great personalities

I also hope for Caro that she will have a great (last??) skate at home in Italy and says goodbye by winning a (deserved - not only be PSC inflation) medal!

Fingers crossed!!!

A World Championship after Olympics seems to always have a different feel. Some may argue that it’s a lesser event being that a number of the Olympic medalists forego Worlds. Of course there are skaters I will miss not seeing one last time, but being a glass-half-full type, I instead look forward to seeing new faces or in the case of nations who are strong contenders, their #4 or #5 skaters. It’s like a first peek at what’s to come over the next season or two.

I have lots of ‘wishes’ for all the skaters, but above all for each to achieve his/her/their goals of excellence. It is so enjoyable to watch a skater in the K&C learning of having achieved a personal best score. So, loads of those, please.

However, one special wish I’ve got. I so enjoyed the Italian team at the Olympics – the warm teammate camaraderie, as well as some remarkable individual performances were a joy to watch. So…I would love to see CK, M&H and C&L on the podium after skating lights out and believe this is arguably achievable. I also admire Matteo’s Beatles routine and while a podium finish is probably a stretch, I don’t think a top 10 finish is out of the realm. This would be the icing on the cake for the home fans. Lay it on, Milan! :cheer2:

crimsonarrow

Rinkside
Realistic

Ladies
1. Zagitova
2. Osmond
3. Miyahara (maybe?)

Men
1. Shoma Uno
2. Nathan Chen
3. Boyang Jin

Hopes

I want Daleman and Boyang to get gold >.<

WineHerUp

On the Ice
Hopes:
1. Shoma to end this season with a gold medal.
2. J/C win their first worlds medal.
3. Boyang Jin/Dmitri Aliev for silver/bronze.
4. Mikhail to land one quad lutz.
5. Japan to keep three spots in men's:pray:.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
my hopes:
  1. for Gabby to have a redemption competition
  2. S. Korea to keep 2 ladies for next season
  3. a safe and injury-free competition
  4. Xiaoyu to also have a redemption competition

FanFan3256

Rinkside
I hope the hosting country do not overscore their skaters ...but then again what am I hoping for? Integrity? Blah, blah, let the politics begin!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Can't believe the Worlds starts tomorrow? Really?! :eeking:

My hopes for this Worlds:
-World title for Aliona & Bruno, to go really well with their Oly gold medal :yes:
-A world medal for Venessa & Morgan finally, pleeeease! :bow: If not them, then Valentina & Ondrej, pleeeeease! :bow:
-Silver medal for Anna & Luka one last time, on their home turf. :yes: If no them, then Madison & Zach. A medal either to Piper & Paul or Charlene & Marco! :)
-Top 10 finish by Kana & Chris!! :clapper:
-World title for Shoma, and top 10 finish by one of Kazuki/Keiji to secure 3 spots. :clapper: From my hubby: A medal for Max!!! :rock:
-A medal either for Mirai, Maria S or Satoko :clapper:

Good luck, everyone!!!!!