Questions for a beginner skater (14 yo) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Questions for a beginner skater (14 yo)

Elija

On the Ice
Hey! Another Kiwi here 🙂 would definitely recommend sticking with kiwiskate until you get up to freeskate levels - you will most likely get a lot more attention in the higher levels. I’ve skated overseas before I moved back to NZ, and I find people do learn to skate classes until higher levels here than elsewhere (eg. Often up to lutz). Not sure what rink you’re at, but that’s how it’s been at the two here I’ve skated at.

And I feel ya regarding the lack of fitters here, the choice is definitely dismal. If you’re overseas at any point near a good fitter, it would probably pay to visit and at least try on some different skates.

khi

Rinkside
Hahahah, yay!! Great to know other Kiwis doing the sport :)
Haven't checked the costs for private coaches but I would need to get all my basics polished before I even think about that lol. Yes, I think I might need some sort of corrective insoles for my skates, the skate technician also commented on my wide arch. Don't know what feet Edeas are suited for, but she only sold that brand specifically, so it was either brick-like rentals or those. The resistance band and balance cushion idea sounds clever. I'll try that out. Thank you!

You're welcome! Yeah, the skate fitting market in NZ is.... not good. I know two people who sell Edeas (actually one locally who does fittings/molding the boots, but actually goes through Skaters Edge to purchase the skates) and my rink sells Jacksons and.... that's it? So you can't compare brands or anything :/ it's such a tiny market! Hope the Edeas work out well though!

Hey! Another Kiwi here 🙂 would definitely recommend sticking with kiwiskate until you get up to freeskate levels - you will most likely get a lot more attention in the higher levels. I’ve skated overseas before I moved back to NZ, and I find people do learn to skate classes until higher levels here than elsewhere (eg. Often up to lutz). Not sure what rink you’re at, but that’s how it’s been at the two here I’ve skated at.

And I feel ya regarding the lack of fitters here, the choice is definitely dismal. If you’re overseas at any point near a good fitter, it would probably pay to visit and at least try on some different skates.

I'm so happy to see all these fellow kiwis coming out of the woodwork. Out of interest which rinks did you skate at? I know mine does both a LTS group class and subsequently a "figure" group class so there are options there without having to go to privates. Dunno what the teaching quality is like though re: individual attention. I know many adults who do private lessons BUT they all have work schedules such that they can make it to the rink during the day on weekdays when there's some kinda deal.

Elija

On the Ice
I'm so happy to see all these fellow kiwis coming out of the woodwork. Out of interest which rinks did you skate at? I know mine does both a LTS group class and subsequently a "figure" group class so there are options there without having to go to privates. Dunno what the teaching quality is like though re: individual attention. I know many adults who do private lessons BUT they all have work schedules such that they can make it to the rink during the day on weekdays when there's some kinda deal.

I'm at Avondale at the moment. Used to skate at Alpine in Christchurch many many years ago (like 15 years ago). We don't have any kind of specials on weekdays, just normal public session prices (although you can get a ten pass concession which saves money). I'm luckily one of those adults with a flexible working schedule who can skate during the day when it's quiet haha!

What rink are you at?

pocky

Rinkside

Woo! I'm on Elementary currently in the kiwiskate programme (as stated before, TRUE beginner here). I skate at the avondale rink, which I'm pretty sure is smaller than botany's (as heard from another skater at the rink). Since you have some experience in kiwiskate, could I ask you a few questions?
- How long does it roughly take to move up a level on average? (like, elementary - basic - novice 1 - novice 2, etc etc).
- Can you join a club if you've reached a certain level in kiwiskate? I hope to make some new skating friends because I always attend alone lol.
Thanks!!! Awesome to know someone that has experience with kiwiskate.

pocky

Rinkside
You're welcome! Yeah, the skate fitting market in NZ is.... not good. I know two people who sell Edeas (actually one locally who does fittings/molding the boots, but actually goes through Skaters Edge to purchase the skates) and my rink sells Jacksons and.... that's it? So you can't compare brands or anything :/ it's such a tiny market! Hope the Edeas work out well though!

Yeah, I got my pair via Skaters Edge. The fitting room was filled with edea boxes so I assumed those were the only ones she has, and when I checked website it was only edeas. May I ask which rink do you skate at that sells Jacksons? I've always wondered how others at my rink got their skates that weren't Edeas, because ordering online seems like a huge gamble. I think Edeas are pretty nice, the room in the ankle area is comfortable and allows for more movement (and I look pretty trendy ;), but flip side of that the skater needs to bump up their ankle strength/balance.

pocky

Rinkside
Woo! I'm on Elementary currently in the kiwiskate programme (as stated before, TRUE beginner here). I skate at the avondale rink, which I'm pretty sure is smaller than botany's (as heard from another skater at the rink). Since you have some experience in kiwiskate, could I ask you a few questions?
- How long does it roughly take to move up a level on average? (like, elementary - basic - novice 1 - novice 2, etc etc).
- Can you join a club if you've reached a certain level in kiwiskate? I hope to make some new skating friends because I always attend alone lol.
Thanks!!! Awesome to know someone that has experience with kiwiskate.

Also it's a bit confusing how they move up the students. Only 3 other girls and I were moved up into elementary in 5 weeks after testing. My friend (who only attends classes w me) had 3 stars in all her skills but wasn't moved up. Any info on that? Thanks!

Elija

On the Ice
Also it's a bit confusing how they move up the students. Only 3 other girls and I were moved up into elementary in 5 weeks after testing. My friend (who only attends classes w me) had 3 stars in all her skills but wasn't moved up. Any info on that? Thanks!

I've also heard Avondale is smaller than Botany, but feels/looks the same size to me haha. At Avondale they usually seem to test at the end of the term, so I honestly think half the time it depends how often they test when/whether you will move up a level (or perhaps several levels if it has been ages since your last test). Don't worry too much about the tests/levels though, I don't think they mean much. As long as you're progressing that's the main thing.

Have also just PM'd you.

khi

Rinkside
I'm at Avondale at the moment. Used to skate at Alpine in Christchurch many many years ago (like 15 years ago). We don't have any kind of specials on weekdays, just normal public session prices (although you can get a ten pass concession which saves money). I'm luckily one of those adults with a flexible working schedule who can skate during the day when it's quiet haha!

What rink are you at?

Oh I'm so jealous of your work schedule! 9-5 M-F is not conducive to figure skating at all haha. Public sessions are terrible, between the disco lights and the crowds! I'm at Alpine Ice in Christchurch, the masters skating club has some sort of club skate "coffee club" deal IIRC twice a week during the weekdays. I just roll with the ten pass concession deals.

Yeah, I got my pair via Skaters Edge. The fitting room was filled with edea boxes so I assumed those were the only ones she has, and when I checked website it was only edeas. May I ask which rink do you skate at that sells Jacksons? I've always wondered how others at my rink got their skates that weren't Edeas, because ordering online seems like a huge gamble. I think Edeas are pretty nice, the room in the ankle area is comfortable and allows for more movement (and I look pretty trendy ;), but flip side of that the skater needs to bump up their ankle strength/balance.

Alpine Ice in Christchurch :) maybe it's the only rink in NZ that sells Jacksons? They have a small pro shop attached to the rink that carries stock up to Freestyles, they get their stock/any different orders from their supplier in Australia (who buys from Canada i guess) so again, if you want any model or variant they don't have in stock, it gets dicey because you have to buy it before you try it. Buying skates is so stressful haha

pocky

Rinkside
Oh I'm so jealous of your work schedule! 9-5 M-F is not conducive to figure skating at all haha. Public sessions are terrible, between the disco lights and the crowds! I'm at Alpine Ice in Christchurch, the masters skating club has some sort of club skate "coffee club" deal IIRC twice a week during the weekdays. I just roll with the ten pass concession deals.

Alpine Ice in Christchurch :) maybe it's the only rink in NZ that sells Jacksons? They have a small pro shop attached to the rink that carries stock up to Freestyles, they get their stock/any different orders from their supplier in Australia (who buys from Canada i guess) so again, if you want any model or variant they don't have in stock, it gets dicey because you have to buy it before you try it. Buying skates is so stressful haha

Ohh, Alpine Ice! Lucky your sessions are cheaper. I think it is, Paradice doesn't sell any at all. Had to go to Centre Ice and they very conveniently stopped selling figure skates :/ (only one available before was riedell pearl which won't take you that far either way).
Agreed with the stress of buying skates. Thought I majorly overbooted at first when I bought overtures and crossed my fingers I didn't waste a whole lot of $$.