Rabobank Challenge Cup | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Rabobank Challenge Cup

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've finally watched the ladies' event - being prevented to watch earlier because of a funeral. As I already knew the outcome, I just watched the top 6 skates of the Frees. I was impressed by Emilea Zingas from Cyprus who had the 2nd best Skate of the day, and managed to leapfrog to a medal. Good for her! I miss Maé Bérénices wonderfully coloured costume from last year! I still like to watch her though. A bit of a rough skate for her, and she dropped to 5th. Kristina Isaev from Germany was new for me, and I enjoyed her skating. Watching Lindsay was a bit of a bummer - I've seen her do Frees so much better, and she had 2 falls. Probably a bit of a lack of concentration after that success yesterday. Still, 6th is nothing to be ashamed of! Emmy Ma has - not unexpectedly - some of that typical American ladies style which makes her programmes very watchable if not technically to the highest standard. I think she was pleased with her silver medal. And Loena? Loena is something else. Sure, a slightly shaky landing with the 3-3, but I always get a bit lyrical when I see her when she skates well, and this was no exception. I remember seeing her at Challenge 4 years ago (which she also won by the way), and I liked her then but she has improved (and matured) so much. Perfect climax to the competition I should think and a runaway victory for her. Deservedly so.

Ice Dance was small (only three couples) but sweet, and predictable: exactly the same order as yesterday.

It's a pity there were so many technical issues (not with the skating, but with the computer tech) because especially when one pays for a live stream - and I was willing to do so because it's the only international Figure Skating competition in my country and I would normally have bought tickets to attend anyway - you want it to be perfect - with tech boxes, with replays and some commentary (preferably Ted Barton-like - no comments during the skates, but some explanation during the replays) - it should hold up in comparison to Free live streams. It didn't. It was embarrassing. Of course, technical issues also happen during other competitions but it was more than just that. Happy as I am that the competition is even being held, it really is a pity that our Federation is perfectly willing to create even more difficult 'bubbles' for Long Track and Short Track skating with Free access for all who want to watch, while Figure Skating is treated a bit second rate. I understand the necessity for some income generated by a payed live stream. I don't know how, but I feel this could have been handled in a better way to accommodate the international public. Mind you: us Dutch fans would like to see more of Figure Skating on the Public Broadcasts on television in any case, but I don't think that's ever to happen while Speed Skating is both more popular and successful.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yay, second warm-up group of the men and Mikhail and Donovan are on the ice. As are Jari Kessler and young Spanish gentlemen.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Funny, watching Mikhail skate in the rink I used to skate before lock-down. He's always a joy to watch but he did pop a jump today. Still 84.99 points.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A bit of a rough skate for Jari Kessler. Double axel and a fall. Only 61.15 points. He is, understandably, really unhappy.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
One of three Spanish men wanting to follow in Javiers footsteps (I presume), Tomas Llorenc Guarino, managed to get his minimum TES just now (don't know whether he already had it). He was happy at least with his skate!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
One of three Spanish men wanting to follow in Javiers footsteps (I presume), Tomas Llorenc Guarino, managed to get his minimum TES just now (don't know whether he already had it). He was happy at least with his skate!
I looked it up. He didn't have it. Was he nice to watch?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Poor Donovan. Two falls, one I think, (but not sure) with a quad attempt. Missed his combination because of the second fall but had a beautiful triple axel. Charming as always. Only 31 something in TES.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Poor Donovan. Two falls, one I think, (but not sure) with a quad attempt. Missed his combination because of the second fall but had a beautiful triple axel. Charming as always. Only 31 something in TES.

Oh no! I hope he also submit a video prior to this event, but this definitely does not look good for Worlds.

cabres

On the Ice
Can this competition be watched on Russian platform VK ? I only manage to see yesterday's women's competition.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Third and last warm-up group on the ice. Morisi and Gabriele who need no introduction I think, are the last two skaters in this group. Also in this group Adam Siao him Fa and Romain Ponsart from France, as well as Burak Demirboga (Tur) and András Csernoch (Hun).

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Burak had a good skate...38 something in TES, and currently second (behind Kolyada). No quads, but nice to watch.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Not the best skate from András, but that sliding move near to the end was fantastic.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A fall for Mariah's boyfriend at the quad, but a more than decent skate nonetheless. The judges agree: a little more than 81 points.