Racist/Offensive Comment? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Racist/Offensive Comment?

someone might want to tell that to Obama's camp, then... because he's the first "black" president... or "African-American" president... not "AFRO-American"
It doesn't mean the 'camp' is correct,if you are so sure everyone in that camp uses Black, and since I am a free spirit, I say what I what I want to say. As long as the Noun is American, the adjective can be whatever a person wants, but it should be used respectively.

Personally, the most joyest day will be all are just Amercians.

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
Ok so i have another question - what is WASP? I assume it's an acronym? I've heard used in American tv shows and films and i've never understood, but assume the W is white, and i think it's always been used in the context of a middle/upper class person.

Ant

Yes, it's an acronym. WASP = White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.

No-one would ever introduce themselves as "I am an Irish" or "I am an English"
Of course, it is "I am an Englishman," "I am an Irishman."

Is that sexist? Would a lady say, "I am an Englishman" ("man" meaning human person.)

So now, what unspoken connotations are in play? What is an "Englishman?"

I think it means something like this:

♫ ♪ A British tar is a soaring soul,
As free as a mountain bird.
His energetic fist should be ready to resist
A dictatorial word. ♫

His nose should pant and his lip should curl,
His cheeks should flame and his brow should furl,
His bosom should heave and his heart should glow,
And his fist be ever ready for a knock-down blow.

♫ ♪ His eyes should flash with an inborn fire,
His brow with scorn be wrung ;
He never should bow down to a domineering frown,
Or the tang of a tyrant tongue. ♫

His foot should stamp and his throat should growl,
His hair should twirl and his face should scowl ;
His eyes should flash and his breast protrude,
And this should be his customary attitude!

His Aaa----ti----tuuuuuuude, ♪

His Aaaa----TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII--tuuuuude! ♫ ♪

Bennett

Record Breaker
:chorus: I knew even before reading the entire post that the one who was singing would be you, Mathman! (Opps, this is name-calling that had to be avoided;) Pardon:p)

Last edited:
,,,you, Mathman! (Oops, this is name-calling that had to be avoided. ;)

:laugh: Actually, this is another case of adjectives versus nouns. A mathematician never says "math" when he/she means "mathematics," the noun. Using an overly familiar nickname like that falls short of giving the subject the respect it deservers.

But a math book, a math course -- that's OK. :cool:

Bennett

Record Breaker
:laugh: Actually, this is another case of adjectives versus nouns. A mathematician never says "math" when he/she means "mathematics," the noun. Using an overly familiar nickname like that falls short of giving the subject the respect it deservers.

But a math book, a math course -- that's OK. :cool:

Interesting.

Coming to chat about skating, and getting to know flavors of mathmatics and linguistics. How educational GS can be:agree:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
don't encourage him, he'll start posting those weird mathmatical equations that makes your head spin and fall off and explode...

he's one of THOSE people :p

Bennett

Record Breaker
don't encourage him, he'll start posting those weird mathmatical equations that makes your head spin and fall off and explode...

he's one of THOSE people :p

Don't worry. I have always loved those people:biggrin: (this may be another example of name-calling in the form of impersonalizing. How offensive we are;)).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ah then that was my intention ;)

and for the sake of my sanity, don't encourage him! LOL

Lynn226

On the Ice
Just to throw a another wrench in the wheel;)

Some countries in the Western Hemisphere are none too happy that the United States has commandeered the term American for itself. When I was in Central America, Hondurans referred to Americans and Canadians as norteamericanos (North Americans). Afterall, they're Americans, too.

Just to throw a another wrench in the wheel;)

Some countries in the Western Hemisphere are none too happy that the United States has commandeered the term American for itself. When I was in Central America, Hondurans referred to Americans and Canadians as norteamericanos (North Americans). Afterall, they're Americans, too.
Indeed, and I believe there is writing in Mexio which refers to the norteamericanos as estadounidenses, but Mexico is also a United States. I do like the slang 'gringo'. :)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I haven't had time to read most of the posts on GS for quite a while.
When I visited my brother in Santa Barbara, CA in the 60's and mentioned something about Orientals, he corrected me and told me it really bad to say that. I never knew why. Actually, still don't. I was a teenager during the war and most everyone called them Japs which really was a putdown. We were taught to hate them. Now, I really am sorry they treated them all so badly over here. I wonder what I should be called since I'm Irish, Scotch, English, German (Pennsylvania Dutch), & American Indian. :rofl:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'm not Irish American. I'm an American. Period. THIS is the origin of ME. I am not connected to Ireland in anyway - or Germany (which is what most of my ancestory is from) - Or England... last I checked I'm not in Europe. Not that there's anything wrong with Europe but I'm from here and I'm happy to just be American.
Try being an immigrant! I don't mind being "Jewish American", but I absolutely do not identify myself as "Russian American". If I must, I'll say American born in Russia (which is actually an incorrect statement, as I was born in the USSR, not Russia). What's more, since I still have a slight accent, people will often ask me about it. While I don't mind "Where are you from?", I hate being asked "What's your nationality?" Hmmm... Nationality.. As in where am I a citizen? Well, I've been living in the US for 20 years, and have been a citizen for 14... So I just say "American", and let them dig themselves out...

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Ptichka, You are one of the many on GS I would love to meet. Hopefully someday.:love:
Since I will be 80 in April, chances are kind of slim.

Bennett

Record Breaker
What's more, since I still have a slight accent, people will often ask me about it. While I don't mind "Where are you from?", I hate being asked "What's your nationality?"

Wow, isn't it a strange question to be asked? I feel that the issue of the legal immigration status could be a very personal, sensitive question.

I heard that some Asian Americans who are in the US for generations are annoyed by the "Where are you from?" question. I am asked very often on street, which has never bothered me (as it seems another way of saying hi). But I understand that it could be so for those who've been there since they were born.

We were taught to hate them.

Japan was also teaching during WWII that Americans were evil. After the war, the US culture was suddenly so much hyped though. I am currently rereading Gone with the Wind and Melanie, the kind, gentle, great lady, says that she would teach her kids and grandchildren to hate Yankees. The war is sad, dividing people by hatred.

Last edited:

kittyjake5

On the Ice
It can't be so where, in the reality, it demands to know the origions. Even in school registration forms, there would be a part to ask to fill in the race: White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, or Other. It was new to me when I first came to US. I didn't recall to do that in Canada.

This is true. It has been many years since I have been in school and not much has changed on the school registration forms. When I was in school I remember filling out a school form and came upon the race question, I will never forget my friend who was a recent immigrant from Italy, she was truly dumbfounded by the question. In her mind we were all Americans. We decided to do a mini protest by checking off Other and writing in American.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd just like to say that if I ever bump(ed) into anyone here and asked where are you from I just meant where are you living now? If that means just down the street from me or in another country big deal. It's 98% of the time here in Alaska somewhere very different from here... and it's fun.

ETA - Ptchika got me thinking, in some ways Alaska is looked to be more foriegn a country than Canada or Mexico to the rest of the US. Seriously we're asked all the time what the dollar goes for up here. (um, well, we're the 49th state in the country so it goes for the same rate). We had one guy come into Wildride this year saying he hadn't had to time to switch currency because he'd come straight from the airport as this was the only day to see the show. The man was from California, born and raised according to him, seriously? Can people really be that boneheaded about their own country? BLAH!

I was recently told by someone on the Disney Travel Co. phone line that I didn't sound like I was from Alaska. When I asked what they meant "well, you speak English so well."... um..... yeah. Here's your sign.

Some people are just dumb, and it's not so much a racial biased thing. They're just dumb :laugh:

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Seriously we're asked all the time what the dollar goes for up here. (um, well, we're the 49th state in the country so it goes for the same rate).
Oh, Toni! You should say "well, the official exchange rate is 1.31 USD for each 1 Alaskan Dollar (AD), but just because I'm in a good mood I'll sell you 100 AD's for just 1.25 each" :biggrin: And that guy from California - you should have definitely told him you'd take his California money, but that it would be a 10% surcharge.

May be some people think Alaska to the US is like, say Gibraltar to UK - you can use UK dollar in Gibraltar (1:1), but you can only use Gibraltar dollar in Gibraltar.

I'd just like to say that if I ever bump(ed) into anyone here and asked where are you from I just meant where are you living now?
My husband likes to answer "from Newton" if we're in Greater Boston, or "from Boston" if we're not. Of course 99% of time people don't get the clue. Also, sometimes, just for fun, he like to say "from Montenegro", and see the reaction (it is very rare to meet someone who actually knows Montenegro is in Europe).

When I was in school I remember filling out a school form and came upon the race question, I will never forget my friend who was a recent immigrant from Italy, she was truly dumbfounded by the question. In her mind we were all Americans. We decided to do a mini protest by checking off Other and writing in American.
In Soviet Union, the info just came from your birth certificate. "Item #5". If your mother was listed as "Jewish", and your father was listed as "Jewish", there was no way of getting away from being "Jewish". I believe the parents' ethnicity was also listed on the birth certificate, but I'm not quite sure.

Last edited: