Raise The Senior Ladies Age To 17 Please! | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Raise The Senior Ladies Age To 17 Please!

It’s polar opposite, so we see so many more women, but pretty much the same men year after year after year in the second half of the season. At least with women, if you don’t connect with one or two, there are plenty of choices to root for and in a year or two there might be someone who is more to your taste. With men you suffer for years and years if the top guy is not your cup of tea.
I think you are just saying that there are many more ladies than gentlemen who are interested in taking up the sport of figure skating.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That’s a safe bet. Baseball isn’t a European sport.

Although, soon there may not be any baseball fans in the USA either. They are having a crapload of trouble getting young viewers.
That is my point though. Figure skating is a major sport in Russia. It is a small niche sport here. We have American football, baseball, basketball.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
That is my point though. Figure skating is a major sport in Russia. It is a small niche sport here. We have American football, baseball, basketball.
The number one sport in Russia is soccer. Even not a hockey. Despite the fact that the national team will probably never become the world champion. I cannot say that figure skating is not popular, but here it can also be called a niche sport. I live close to a large children's park, there is an outdoor skating rink, and in winter there are always many people who want to go ice skating. But there is a huge difference between just ice skating and figure skating.

On the other hand, the popularity of figure skating in the USA is at least evidenced by the fact that a movie was shot about Tonya Harding.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The number one sport in Russia is soccer. Even not a hockey. Despite the fact that the national team will probably never become the world champion. I cannot say that figure skating is not popular, but here it can also be called a niche sport. I live close to a large children's park, there is an outdoor skating rink, and in winter there are always many people who want to go ice skating. But there is a huge difference between just ice skating and figure skating.

On the other hand, the popularity of figure skating in the USA is at least evidenced by the fact that a movie was shot about Tonya Harding.

thank you for the information about Russia.

As much as I would love for “I Tonya” to signify some greater interest in figure skating, sadly it is not the case. It is the case that the scandal will always interest the general public. :)

The difference between the US and Russia as I see it now, and I could be very wrong because I do not know what is happening in Russia except what I read here on GS, is that elite figure skaters in Russia have at least a chance to become popular, to become well-known to the general public, to appear on TV, to do shows, and to make some money.

That is not happening in the United States and has not happened for 25 years. No figure skater is going to become a millionaire due to figure skating, no matter how elite. In fact, no figure skater is even going to make a consistent good living, based solely on figure skating. So there is much more financial incentive in other countries to excel, as there is no incentive here.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
there is no way i have had the time to read this thread... so i apologize if this has been discussed already...

Age may be a way to have some control on the sport but truly, what we have seen always seem to results in the code of points...

Look what lowering BV in pairs for quads has done to the pairs event? Nobody even attempts them anymore...

Revamp the code of points, lowering the value of quads, raising the penalty for a fall on a quad to minus 2, raising the values of spins and steps, perhaps even on the PCS factoring... get different panels for TES and PCS and one perhaps even different judges for different PCS elements... and even revamp PCS into two categories : overall skating (includes skating skills and transition) and presentation (includes choreography, execution and performance)

the sport would evolve probably in a different direction altogether, until there is a new way to milk the system which starts bothering a bunch of people ;)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Isn't there a skater that you would just love to see skate for ten years? See their changes, their development, how they rally, how they don't, what they learn, what they don't? Loving a skater to have them quit while in juniors or a year after, you never have the excitement of going on their journey. I would be sad in such circumstances (and have been).
I think there are people who likes to watch skating, not the skaters.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
The difference between the US and Russia as I see it now, and I could be very wrong because I do not know what is happening in Russia except what I read here on GS, is that elite figure skaters in Russia have at least a chance to become popular, to become well-known to the general public, to appear on TV, to do shows, and to make some money.

That is not happening in the United States and has not happened for 25 years. No figure skater is going to become a millionaire due to figure skating, no matter how elite. In fact, no figure skater is even going to make a consistent good living, based solely on figure skating. So there is much more financial incentive in other countries to excel, as there is no incentive here.
it's true, our best skaters can really make some money. For example, in 2019, Zagitova received a total of $ 1.1 million. Basically, apparently, these are payments for advertising contracts. For comparison: our never-winning soccer players receive $ 1-4 million directly for their games, excluding advertising contracts. Either way, the road to the top is incredibly difficult and the costs are enormous. You have to be a little crazy to take this path for yourself.

As much as I would love for “I Tonya” to signify some greater interest in figure skating, sadly it is not the case. It is the case that the scandal will always interest the general public. :)

Russian figure skating literally lives on scandals, and sometimes I have a suspicion that the participants in these "wars" are in fact in cahoots, and from time to time, gathering in some very private club, the "warring parties" in the company of haters - journalists all together drink champagne and laugh at gullible fans. Plushenko against Eteri, Medvedeva against Zagitova, the insidious Mishin against Trusova - all this, of course, is actively used to attract attention.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
Hope that's a typo and you meant Tarasova? Because as far as I know Mishin doesn't have anything against Sasha T!

It's just that you probably don't know the latest gossip (not a site, just tittle-tattle in comments) yet. It says that Mishin is intriguing against Trusova (and possibly Kostornaya) in order to guarantee Lisa T. a place on the Olympic team. Why exactly against Trusova? Because this is supposedly the weakest link. Moreover, he acts in collusion with foreign judges who deliberately overestimated Lisa T. at the Grand Prix.

But don't take this conspiracy theory seriously, please:).

As for Tarasova, her genre is usually "against everyone", except perhaps only the beloved Yagudin.

Last edited:

Azikin

Medalist
It's just that you probably don't know the latest gossip yet. It says that Mishin is intriguing against Trusova (and possibly Kostornaya) in order to guarantee Lisa T. a place on the Olympic team. Why exactly against Trusova? Because this is supposedly the weakest link. Moreover, he acts in collusion with foreign judges who deliberately overestimated Lisa T. at the Grand Prix.
Well, that would explain a lot...

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
If you raise the age of seniors, then all you'll do is further decrease the relevance of the seniors competition. Juniors will be the place where the "real" best singles skaters are found.
I just can't understand how "best" skaters at 15 will become less "best" at 17?

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I just can't understand how "best" skaters

Skating evolves. What Kamila can do at 15, Anna, Sasha and Aliona couldn’t do when they were 15 or 16 or 17 or 18.
What Nathan can do can’t be done by Yuzuru. What Shoma could do couldn‘t be done by Daisuke. And so on.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Skating evolves. What Kamila can do at 15, Anna, Sasha and Aliona couldn’t do when they were 15 or 16 or 17 or 18.
What Nathan can do can’t be done by Yuzuru. What Shoma could do couldn‘t be done by Daisuke. And so on.
Ok. They can do less, so what? If the other girl at 17 or older can beat former 15-years old best skaters so she is the best.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
several opinions of Russian figure skaters and coaches on the possible introduction of an age limit:

Alexei Urmanov, Olympic champion: advocated the age restriction initiative. Alexey said that he was interested in watching the athlete for a long time. As a positive example, Alexey named Elizaveta Tuktamysheva.

Coach Inna Goncharenko: "do not be afraid of raising the age limit. If they raise this limit, it means there will be a longer and higher competition in junior sports."

Olympic champion Natali Bestemyanova: she considers the proposal to raise the age limit as a war against Russia.

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's coach Alexey Mishin: he stated that he was not interested in talking about it.

Coach Alexander Zhulin: he said that the whole world is trying to come up with something in order to somehow fight Russian women's figure skating. Previously, Alexander played for more mature skating, but with the advent of Valieva, Shcherbakova and Trusova, he changed his mind. The coach realized that watching mature skaters, but without complex elements, is rather boring. And now, more than ever, he is waiting for the performance of Russian figure skaters at every competition.

Evgeny Plushenko, Olympic champion: "I am for longevity in sports, and not for the fact that there was a one-time outbreak - and they ran away. Let the federation decide - this is my position"

Alexey Yagudin, Olympic champion: he invited the Norwegians to fight against asthmatics in biathlon and cross-country skiing, separately asking about the presence of figure skaters in the country - the initiator of the proposal.

Tatiana Tarasova, coach: stated that no changes will prevent Russian figure skaters from winning on the world stage.

The source is unofficial, but this is just a digest, compiled on the basis of materials from several different publications (RT, Match-TV, etc.)