Recreational program? | Golden Skate

Recreational program?

iceskating21

On the Ice
If you don't compete or go to any show, is it strange that you ask your coach for a program?

My skater has been competing in regional for a couple of years. She generally ranked around 75%. This year, she decided not to go. She is working on her jumps and spins hoping to move up a level in FS. But after she purely worked on these elements for a couple of months, she felt bored. Especially when her friends practice some programs, she really wants one to practice too, even if there is no competition. In her words, a complete program with music makes her feels good. I wonder, how can I ask the coach for a program, just for fun? Besides, she is not ready for a program for next level yet.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think it would be strange. A coach provides services for a fee. A program is a program, regardless of whether it's for a competition, a show, or just fun. Besides I know several coaches who start skaters (mainly children) on programs just for fun: the intent is to get them hooked on the sport (more enticing than drill after drill for many kids).

leia1979

Rinkside
I don't think it would be strange. A coach provides services for a fee. A program is a program, regardless of whether it's for a competition, a show, or just fun. Besides I know several coaches who start skaters (mainly children) on programs just for fun: the intent is to get them hooked on the sport (more enticing than drill after drill for many kids).
Plus programs teach you how to connect the various elements. I see some skaters in my rink practice their programs and often think they really need to work on those transitions because they complete the jump and all the life goes out of them as they make their way to the next element. Programs teach musicality, presence, and flow.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, it's not odd. Have her ask her coach.