Retirements | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Retirements

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
after the olympic lp,our figure skating star Tugba Karademir said,"i will retire after 2010 worlds" :cry: :cry: :cry: she was really sad and disappointed because of her olympic run.

please don't give up! we aren't ready for your retirement :no:

you can skate at least 2 seasons more...

People say that Mao was demoralized by Yuna's 20 point gap but I can only imagine how demoralizing it is for other skaters scoring 80-110 points in their long programs to know that it is virtually impossible for them to win a medal.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
People say that Mao was demoralized by Yuna's 20 point gap but I can only imagine how demoralizing it is for other skaters scoring 80-110 points in their long programs to know that it is virtually impossible for them to win a medal.

Things can happen though. I mean last year Mirai scored 86 and 74 points for her long programs during the 2008 grand prix series and even this fall she scored 93, then 100, and now 126! Of course the opposite is possible too as we've seen with Kimmie and Caroline, but I feel a lot of skating results are what you put into it. I mean Yuna trains 48 hours a week, no wonder she's olympic champion!

Layfan

Record Breaker
I know, it's just she does have it in her, and I think she knows that, which makes it so hard. I have been feeling the same way about Tomas Verner, who has been nearly as disappointing as Carolina this year (though at least some of it was due to his illness). It must be frustrating because it either could put out two clean performances, they'd have a good shot at medaling or at least finishing respectfully in the top 10, but it just seems like there is some kind of mental block. It's such a shame though, because they are both very talented.

Word. It'll all goes back to that other thread of yours... why so many headcases? :scratch:

In any case, Bennet is also right and if Carolina does decide to retire she'll still be more decorated that so many skaters...

krenseby

Final Flight
Things can happen though. I mean last year Mirai scored 86 and 74 points for her long programs during the 2008 grand prix series and even this fall she scored 93, then 100, and now 126! Of course the opposite is possible too as we've seen with Kimmie and Caroline, but I feel a lot of skating results are what you put into it. I mean Yuna trains 48 hours a week, no wonder she's olympic champion!

I actually think the difference between Mirai's LP score at Skate Canada and the Olympics, 100 vs. 126, is absolutely mind-boggling! I mean yes she was better at the Olympics, but 26 points better?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I actually think the difference between Mirai's LP score at Skate Canada and the Olympics, 100 vs. 126, is absolutely mind-boggling! I mean yes she was better at the Olympics, but 26 points better?

She was so underscored at SC. She got 56 points for a gorgeous SP that got her 62 points a couple weeks earlier at CoC, and it was probably a bit better at SC too.

krenseby

Final Flight
She was so underscored at SC. She got 56 points for a gorgeous SP that got her 62 points a couple weeks earlier at CoC, and it was probably a bit better at SC too.

Well, do you think the judges were keeping her down on purpose or did they honestly overlook her good performance? I know a lot of people are used to scores being based on reputation, but I feel the need to probe deeper.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well, do you think the judges were keeping her down on purpose or did they honestly overlook her good performance? I know a lot of people are used to scores being based on reputation, but I feel the need to probe deeper.

I'd say they were judging based on reputation. Joannie's FS was ridden with errors and she got gold, Alissa fell twice and got silver, Laura landed 2 clean triples and got bronze. Mirai landed 5 clean triples in the FS and had a clean short too and got 4th overall. She had the highest TES in the LP of all the skaters.

russell30

Final Flight
Sarah Meier said she may skate at next years euro's as it is in switzerland.

It has been rumoured that the Italian Federation will send Valentina Marchei to Worlds in order for Carolina Kostner to rest and regroup.

Susanna Poykio has not announced anything, she will wait to see what will happen with the injury, but may come back for another season.

PS Jenni Vahamaa is back and training!!

Tanja90

On the Ice
It has been rumoured that the Italian Federation will send Valentina Marchei to Worlds in order for Carolina Kostner to rest and regroup.

Where did you here that? According to Arto on Ice the federation has given to Carolina to decide if she want to go at worlds or no..It depends on how she feels..and she strongly wants to go for what I know...She has been really ill-treat by italian press and the CONI president...she has been considered the scapegoat of the insucces of the Italian team at these Olympics...so she wants to prove her real value! and I am with her because if you don't leave in Italy you cannot understand how badly she is treaten...

tuggy-fan

Rinkside

yeah,you re right,but there are somethings which don't explain with points,medals...if Tugba is Japanese,America,Russian etc. ok,there are lots of skaters in these countries.But she is only one.Tugba represents my country,it is huge for Turkey.her choreographies are so beautiful.ok,her jumps not as good as her spins or spirals.she must continue for a while...

Why not? I think Frank Carroll has a calming affect on his skaters that grows from comp to comp and from year to year. He doesn't concentrate on medals, but on the skater's best that he/she can do. Even if one doesn/t like Lysacek, Evan did skate the best that he can do.

janetfan

Match Penalty

An interesting point - but we should consider some other scores.

What was Joannie's SP score at COC and the Olympics?
How about Yuna's LP score at SA and her LP score at the Olympics?
How about Mao's scores at RostelCup and the Olympics?

Skaters do have ups and downs. If Mirai scored higher in Vancouver it is for the same reasons Mao scored higher. They both skated better and IMO it is easy enough to see the difference in their respective performances.

And we have to remember comparing scores from event to event is not the best way to decide if scores at an event are right. For me it is never so much about the points but the placement.

It is a problem CoP fans have at times. Does it matter how many points Yuna scored in her LP?
I guess so - but what mattered was that the judges were sending a clear signal that Yuna was just about perfect. I don't see how Mao's program could have been scored closer to Yuna.

Dick Button said that of the final six skaters there were two very good LPs - Yuna and Mirai.

He did not include Mao or Joannie. Perhaps not only because they made multiple technical errors but also failed to perform with a special flair.

If anything Button felt Mirai was underscored in both programs and he said she should have medaled. He did not make a fuss over this out of respect for Joannie - but in his opinion Mirai was the third best skater in Vancouver.

Button does look at things through 6.0 eyes at times and under 6.0 Joannie's multiple mistakes probably would have placed her fourth.

In CoP scoring I think her third place was fair. Not that this matters so much but I am happy Joannie won the Bronze and I think she deserved it for the way she skated.

I also think Mirai was a solid 4th and without any doubt better than Miki, Laura or Rachael.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If anything Button felt Mirai was underscored in both programs and he said she should have medaled. He did not make a fuss over this out of respect for Joannie - but in his opinion Mirai was the third best skater in Vancouver.

Button does look at things through 6.0 eyes at times and under 6.0 Joannie's multiple mistakes probably would have placed her fourth.

In CoP scoring I think her third place was fair. Not that this matters so much but I am happy Joannie won the Bronze and I think she deserved it for the way she skated.

I also think Mirai was a solid 4th and without any doubt better than Miki, Laura or Rachael.

Well said, I agree. Laura actually beat Mirai in the FS though by like half a point. I think it could be argued that Mirai deserved to be as high as 2nd in the FS because she was clean and Mao and Joannie were not, but overall I think she deserved to be 4th. Mao and Joannie had big leads over her in the SP so I pretty much knew an American lady wouldn't podium unless one of the favorites had a meltdown, but they still did really well. Most importantly, Mirai and Rachael both seemed happy with their scores and results which is good news, they really do seem like great girls :agree:

yangjie

On the Ice
Yukari nakano announced the retirement.

cant find the news wirriten in english,but its sure.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Yukari nakano announced the retirement.

cant find the news wirriten in english,but its sure.

Is it announced officially? I read an article that Yukari would withdraw the worlds due to the injury and decide to retire, but I still see Yukari's name at the entry list of JFS site.

Trewyn

Medalist
Does that mean Akiko gets to go to Worlds?? Yes please! This day keeps getting better :). Sorry for Yukari, not to be able to end her carreer on a high note. But she did have a great performance at Nats and TEB (both bronzes, if I recall correctly)...